The Student Room Group

Single People - BEST things about being single? (girls & boys welcomed)...

I'm not single, so would like to know what guys and girls think about single life...

Scroll to see replies

I'm not single but the only good thing about being single is you can choose exactly what you do

You can choose when to go to the pub / when to go nightclubbing, what you can and can't do with your life, where you can and can't go. Plus you can date new people

when you're with a person in a relationship, you have to be more considerate and try to make them happy because they (should) mean the world to you.
Obvious downsides to NOT being in a relationship;
Nobody constantly there to support you
Nobody to invest in
No plans for the future
No certainty of anything
No regular sex
No-one to enjoy experiences with and to grow alongside

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not single, so would like to know what guys and girls think about single life...

Take a listen to 'Young, Wild and Free - Snoop Dogg & Wiz Khalifa' That gives you the general jist:rolleyes::biggrin:

In all seriousness, though. You do feel absolutely free in whatever you do. You can openly flirt with people the opposite sex without it causing WWIII, Go out every night with your mates, save money by not spoiling them, have alot of time to do your favourite hobby, spend time with your family alot more. You just have more free time to do whatever you want :biggrin:

At least that's what i do...!
Reply 3
Original post by The_One1
Take a listen to 'Young, Wild and Free - Snoop Dogg & Wiz Khalifa' That gives you the general jist:rolleyes::biggrin:

In all seriousness, though. You do feel absolutely free in whatever you do. You can openly flirt with people the opposite sex without it causing WWIII, Go out every night with your mates, save money by not spoiling them, have alot of time to do your favourite hobby, spend time with your family alot more. You just have more free time to do whatever you want :biggrin:

At least that's what i do...!

lol Thank you for your answer. I imagine it must feel pretty liberating to not be tied down to another person in that way. lol my bf and I sometimes flirt with other people but only because we never take it further and find each others' jealousy kind of a turn on. :biggrin: All heats up in the bedroom (TMI...?) Yeah, we kind of have the same mates mostly, both in uni so... and he's a rich guy though I still feel awkward when he lavishes me unexpectedly with random gifts and whatnot. Gotta learn to get over that. I'm thankful he's musically gifted too because only a musician could understand why I'm so dedicated to my course and hobbies. In general, you've made some very good points. Thank you.x
Reply 4
Original post by lewif002
I'm not single but the only good thing about being single is you can choose exactly what you do

You can choose when to go to the pub / when to go nightclubbing, what you can and can't do with your life, where you can and can't go. Plus you can date new people

when you're with a person in a relationship, you have to be more considerate and try to make them happy because they (should) mean the world to you.
Nobody to invest in
No plans for the future
No certainty of anything
No regular sex

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree. Personally for me, the rewards of being in a relationship definitely outweigh the costs. My bf is very laid-back so he usually doesn't mind too much what I get up to (as long as I'm not cheating. Or leading guys on. Doesn't mind flirting unless it got really explicit! Ditto for me.) but not getting our "alone time" would be a downer for both of us.

Good points, thank you for your answer! x
Reply 5
What about emotional advantages of being single? Any of those...?
Reply 6
What about emotional advantages of being single? Any of those...?

Well you won't be constantly nervous/paranoid about what he/she could be doing when you are not around, for one. if you guys are in an argument there's always the thought of " Is this it for us? ". When you are in a relationship, sure you can be as happy as you have ever been, but when something happens, the impact is always greater than if you were just friends, if you get me ? :smile: other than that, i'm all for relationships:biggrin:
Space to be alone, more time to focus on academics, space to focus on platonic relationships, less stress from parents if they were to disapprove of my partner, less drama in general. There are loads of benefits to being in a relationship too, but at this point in my life I'm very happily single and wouldn't want it any other way.

Oh where do I start:

-I can focus on my academics
-I can go on a night out and not be in trouble depending where I end up
-I can spend my limited free time at more exciting worthwhile activities
-I do not have any commitments
-I do not have to deal with the bull that goes on in a girl's life
-I do not need to direct finances to someone I havw known for like 2 minutes
-Overall I can do what I want ( with who I want) and practically get the perks of a relationship (the physical side) minus all the rubbish that comes with it
Original post by lewif002

Nobody to invest in
No plans for the future
No certainty of anything
No regular sex

Posted from TSR Mobile

What?

I am very much single and have countless plans for the future. I definitely have a certainty of things around me, I have plans set out.

I am investing in myself and consequently my siblings/family. Someone not related to me comes second place Everytime.

No regular sex? It really is as simple as going out, getting smashed and most likely you pull, so no problem there.

I enjoy experiences with friends and I have a good time.

All this proves you can get the perks of a relationship minus all the bull**** that comes with it.
I get all the duvet :biggrin:
my money is all mine so i look like i ripped of michael carroll with my gold collection
Original post by The two eds
What?

I am very much single and have countless plans for the future. I definitely have a certainty of things around me, I have plans set out.

I am investing in myself and consequently my siblings/family. Someone not related to me comes second place Everytime.

No regular sex? It really is as simple as going out, getting smashed and most likely you pull, so no problem there.

I enjoy experiences with friends and I have a good time.

All this proves you can get the perks of a relationship minus all the bull**** that comes with it.

Interesting, good points. Can't say I agree, but thank you very much for your thoughtful answer. x
Original post by jamesthehustler
my money is all mine so i look like i ripped of michael carroll with my gold collection

:K:... thank you for your answer?x
Original post by Pixsoul
I get all the duvet :biggrin:

Aha! I'm certain my boyfriend would be attracted to that perk - I am probably the worst duvet-snatcher in all existence! Though he sometimes gets used as a duvet. :biggrin:
Original post by The_One1
Well you won't be constantly nervous/paranoid about what he/she could be doing when you are not around, for one. if you guys are in an argument there's always the thought of " Is this it for us? ". When you are in a relationship, sure you can be as happy as you have ever been, but when something happens, the impact is always greater than if you were just friends, if you get me ? :smile: other than that, i'm all for relationships:biggrin:

This is an excellent point! The perk of not being anxious over it all must be a great one. Thanks you very much for your answer. :smile: x
Original post by TurtleberrySoup
Space to be alone, more time to focus on academics, space to focus on platonic relationships, less stress from parents if they were to disapprove of my partner, less drama in general. There are loads of benefits to being in a relationship too, but at this point in my life I'm very happily single and wouldn't want it any other way.

All excellent points, thank you for your insight. I'm glad to hear that you are loving the single life - it can be pretty amazing. x
Freedoooooooom!!!!

In your early twenties in particular, when you are still trying to find a career and identity, it's good not to have to compromise on time or place. If I want to travel for six months, I can. If I want to move to Scotland for a better job, I can. If I want to rent a single room and spend the rest of my money on books, I can.

Day to day, perhaps I'm a loner, but I can't stand the idea of someone having such a hold on my time. I love meeting up with my friends casually, but the idea of texting every day, or having long phone conversations, seems weird to me.

Emotionally, I have no issue. Perhaps I am lucky in that I have a stable family to fall back on in an emergency, but I have no problem making casual friends, so I think I'd be ok wherever I was. It's also good for you to learn to cope with some things by yourself - if I can cope on my own, I think I'll eventually make a better and more supportive partner to someone else.

Relationships are great, and I'd like to get married etc in the long run, but right now - aged 22 - I'm very, very happy being single :biggrin:
Reply 18
I've been single for a year after nine years of being in a couple. I've been deliberately avoiding getting involved. It's been great! I have stable, very close friendships and really enjoy my life, plus I've had the chance to discover who I am as an adult. It's been really good for me.

However, I'm now ready to add a boyfriend to the mix again. The right relationship enhances your life, but I'm really glad I had some time alone :smile:
Original post by Octohedral
Freedoooooooom!!!!

In your early twenties in particular, when you are still trying to find a career and identity, it's good not to have to compromise on time or place. If I want to travel for six months, I can. If I want to move to Scotland for a better job, I can. If I want to rent a single room and spend the rest of my money on books, I can.

Day to day, perhaps I'm a loner, but I can't stand the idea of someone having such a hold on my time. I love meeting up with my friends casually, but the idea of texting every day, or having long phone conversations, seems weird to me.

Emotionally, I have no issue. Perhaps I am lucky in that I have a stable family to fall back on in an emergency, but I have no problem making casual friends, so I think I'd be ok wherever I was. It's also good for you to learn to cope with some things by yourself - if I can cope on my own, I think I'll eventually make a better and more supportive partner to someone else.

Relationships are great, and I'd like to get married etc in the long run, but right now - aged 22 - I'm very, very happy being single :biggrin:

Thank you! Your response was very insightful. It seems to highlight that age, career, identity, independence and having the freedom to enjoy life to the fullest (without the potential restrictions from a partner) are very important factors to consider. Thank you for your answer. x

Quick Reply

Latest