The Student Room Group

Advice on transferring/redoing first year

Hi everyone,

I need a little advice. I'm currently at university studying Psychology (coming towards the end of my first year), I've been enjoying it and my grades are averaging out at around 78%.

The main thing is, I'm not at a Russell group university and the one I'm at hasn't got the greatest teaching standards. I got A*A*C at A-level, so I know I could get into another university if I tried however, I am quite sceptical because I'd either be repeating my first year or transferring directly into second year (I do feel like I have enough knowledge and skills to enter second year but at the same time, I know I just won't be ready).

Long story short, do I transfer (into second year) at another university or just totally reapply to another university (repeating my first year).

thank you in advance for responses!

Scroll to see replies

It's all about units for entering the 2nd year. Have you passed all of your assessments for this year?

If you had then you have the required amount of unit modules for 2nd year entry.
Original post by socially inept
Hi everyone,

I need a little advice. I'm currently at university studying Psychology (coming towards the end of my first year), I've been enjoying it and my grades are averaging out at around 78%.

The main thing is, I'm not at a Russell group university and the one I'm at hasn't got the greatest teaching standards. I got A*A*C at A-level, so I know I could get into another university if I tried however, I am quite sceptical because I'd either be repeating my first year or transferring directly into second year (I do feel like I have enough knowledge and skills to enter second year but at the same time, I know I just won't be ready).

Long story short, do I transfer (into second year) at another university or just totally reapply to another university (repeating my first year).

The part in bold appears to be contradictory. Why do you feel that way?
Reply 3
Hi everyone,

Transfer to second year, getting a grad job is hard enough already.
Don't make it worse for yourself.
Original post by Sycamores
It's all about units for entering the 2nd year. Have you passed all of your assessments for this year? If you had then you have the required amount of unit modules for 2nd year entry.

Yes, I have passed all my assignments so far with 65-80% in all of them. I should probably ask the university that I'd transfer to if they'd take the modules I did into account.

Original post by ageshallnot
The part in bold appears to be contradictory. Why do you feel that way?

I just feel like I'm already smart enough to enter into second year but they'd probably have a different syllabus at another university and surely it'd be easier redoing the year (to get used to the university, make friends etc.). I'm not entirely confident either because most of the people at this university are not too smart and settling for a poor quality education, I know I can do (& want) better. I feel like I rushed into this decision but I had no choice because my parents wouldn't let me take a gap year. :frown:

Despite my semi-high grades this year, I do feel like it was just too easy to get them. I need to feel challenged a lot more because my education is particularly important to me.

Original post by Tbx
Transfer to second year, getting a grad job is hard enough already. Don't make it worse for yourself.

I don't know if I'll match up to the standards of a second year student at a Russell group university which is why I'm considering repeating first year at another university.
Yes, I have passed all my assignments so far with 65-80% in all of them. I should probably ask the university that I'd transfer to if they'd take the modules I did into account.

I just feel like I'm already smart enough to enter into second year but they'd probably have a different syllabus at another university and surely it'd be easier redoing the year (to get used to the university, make friends etc.). I'm not entirely confident either because most of the people at this university are not too smart and settling for a poor quality education, I know I can do (& want) better. I feel like I rushed into this decision but I had no choice because my parents wouldn't let me take a gap year. :frown:

Despite my semi-high grades this year, I do feel like it was just too easy to get them. I need to feel challenged a lot more because my education is particularly important to me.

I don't know if I'll match up to the standards of a second year student at a Russell group university which is why I'm considering repeating first year at another university.

The perils of rushing into a decision...

Firstly, you need to ask those universities in which you are interested whether they would consider you for second-year entry. Yes, the syllabus might be different but many Psychology courses are relatively similar given that they have to cover certain topics in order to be accredited by the BPS. Check out the modules in detail to see how well what you studied in first year matches up with what they cover.

Secondly, stop thinking that a Russell Group label automatically makes a university better. It does not. You can therefore stop holding the simultaneous views that a) you are too clever for your current uni, yet b) not adequate to study at an RG uni.
Reply 6

Sounds like you have the ability to do well but not the confidence, to avoid a self fulfilling prophecy you'd be better of doing the first year even if it is a waste of time.
Thanks for the replies everyone. I've narrowed down my selection to Kent, Surrey, City, Royal Holloway and Leeds.

I've done my research on each of them but does anyone have any suggestions on which one to choose if I get all the offers?

(I'm already in approx. 12k of debt already, so if I go to Surrey, city or royal holloway then I'll just be living at home and commuting - so I'll only be taking out a tuition fee loan).

Thanks! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Currently studying Law at the Open University, all you have to do is ensure your Unit modules are of a similar fashion to the Uni you want to go to.

Luckily for me, Law at UCL is near enough identical to the course I am doing, I am going into my 3rd year at UCL in September.

As mentioned above, with student debt likely to rise and tuition fee's looking like they aren't going to change it's best to go into 2nd year. Not only will you lack motivation as you would be familiar with the subjects but financially you will be doing yourself a favor too.
Reply 9
Thanks for the replies everyone. I've narrowed down my selection to Kent, Surrey, City, Royal Holloway and Leeds.

I've done my research on each of them but does anyone have any suggestions on which one to choose if I get all the offers?

(I'm already in approx. 12k of debt already, so if I go to Surrey, city or royal holloway then I'll just be living at home and commuting - so I'll only be taking out a tuition fee loan).

Thanks! :smile:

I'm confused with the exception of Leeds, the rest aren't Russell Groups?
Original post by Tbx

And the relevance is???
Original post by Tbx

I'm applying to Exeter too (in exchange of city) but I'm mainly looking at the area, how much it's going to cost for accommodation etc. and the league tables (some of the non-RG universities have excellent facilities and research departments). Also, I need to decide whether moving out (again) will be a wise decision because surely I'd be accumulating more avoidable debt.

I'm also considering a placement year which only a couple universities (which are still accepting applications for 2015 entry) offer.

I'm so indecisive, this is such a disaster for me.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by ageshallnot
And the relevance is???

OP's initial concern was that he/she was not "good enough" for a Russell Group.

I'm applying to Exeter too (in exchange of city) but I'm mainly looking at the area, how much it's going to cost for accommodation etc. and the league tables (some of the non-RG universities have excellent facilities and research departments). Also, I need to decide whether moving out (again) will be a wise decision because surely I'd be accumulating more avoidable debt.

I'm also considering a placement year which only a couple universities (which are still accepting applications for 2015 entry) offer.

I'm so indecisive this is such a disaster for me.

Ah ok I was just curious, good luck in whatever you choose :smile:.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tbx
OP's initial concern was that he/she was not "good enough" for a Russell Group.

A fair point, fair point...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JustBeKind
To OP, have you already applied for transfers? If not when are you applying?Also if you have A*A*C grades why are you at a 'lower' University? Surely a Russell group would have accepted you through clearing...?I'm in the same boat. I'm a first year student and have an offer from a really good university but they've given it for first year entry. I really want to go there but don't want to waste £9000+ ! Should I contact them and ask if they would consider me for second year entry if my first year grades are really good? I feel I know enough to transfer to second year. I have another offer to transfer to the second year at another university, but this one isn't as 'top'... :frown:Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends on the similarity of the syllabus at your current insitution and whether it's compatible with the one at another. (E.g. Taken similar/identical modules).

If they're offering you first year entry, it's likely that you are going to have to redo the year because they'd want everyone to be at the same level. The universities will have a gap in academic criteria so, overall, it would be easier for them (and probably you, despite the knowledge you currently have).

Honestly, I have other issues which is why I didn't apply to top universities. I have confidence issues. So I just settled with a lower university not knowing that most of the people here don't care about a degree or what it means yet are still doing one (and barely passing their modules).

My C was the overall issue. That deterred me significantly when it came to making my final decision because most people at top universities achieve straight A's/A*'s or a combination of both. Whilst my grades are great, my confidence in my ability is something that needs work. This year has allowed me to realise the importance of university education and making the right investment.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JustBeKind
To the university that I have an offer for first year entry, I applied for a similar course from what I am studying now because they do not offer the course I am studying now. Do you think its worth emailing and asking if they would consider me for second year entry for a course that they think I would be suited to (eg have more similar/same modules)?Posted from TSR Mobile

In most cases, you're likely to only be accepted if the course is exactly the same (and even then, there never is a guarantee). The missing modules on your new course can't be compensated for by the extra/non-relevant modules you've taken on your current course. If the course structure/modules are not the same then you are unlikely to get accepted directly into second year so there would be no point emailing the university about it (although you could try).
(edited 8 years ago)
:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending