The Student Room Group

Romantic Love...? What are your beliefs regarding this?

Do you believe in the concept of "romantic love"? If so, how would you define romantic love? Have you ever felt it/received it? In your opinion, is it purely subjective? Are there different types of romantic love?

Feel free to delve into the whole "soulmate/true love" thing too. I will not judge - I welcome your different opinions, people of TSR.

As a "just in case" - I apologise in advance if this question irritates or offends you in some way. This is not my intention. Just very curious... I am aware this must have been asked before.
Reply 1
Wow... slow day. :tongue: My "single people" thread got more answers in a shorter amount of time today. Can't say I am surprised - I'm aware this question is dead boring and all...
Yes I do believe in the concept of "romantic love". Although I don't think there is a set definition which can define it, in my opinion. I guess it just depends on how you perceive love. People could have different feelings/views on what love actually is and that's totally fine. Opinions could vary from gender, race, religion, age etc. but the only thing I'm definitely sure about is that everyone needs a little love in their life to make the world a better place (cheesy I know.)

Some people could believe that they are experiencing 'romantic love' but really, it may just be infatuation or lust. But that's fine because people have different perspectives on certain things.
(edited 9 years ago)
It is one of those questions that you think you know the answer to but, when put on the spot, you are unable to put your finger on it. I think that love and romance are two different things that sometimes come together. If you have heard the phrase "being in love makes you do some stupid things" then that to me typifies romantic love. Being "in love" with somebody is also different to just loving somebody. Even after many years of marriage, I sometimes find something in a shop window or stall and buy it for my wife thinking "she will love this", only to be told in a very tender voice that it is crap. But the look in her eyes is usually enough reward in itself.
I think that romance is often about grand gestures which, if they work, gives you back that intense emotional feeling that you used to get all the time and couldn't live without. But unfortunately "romance" has become a commercial enterprise and those little gestures have been replaced by big inflatable balloons saying "I love you lots".
Reply 4
Interesting answers, thanks guys. x
Reply 5
Yep romantic love exists. I experienced that with my most recent ex. He made me feel like I was special (up until I found out he cheated), he'd always speak romantically and soppy to me, complimenting me. When we saw each other in person, he'd always hold my hand when driving, hold me by the hips, hold me when he kissed me - lots of romantic touching basically. I felt like I was a princess, like I was part of a fairy tale. Everything seemed so fluffy and light, I used to feel so warm, loved and cared for.

When we were in the bedroom, we did all sorts though. Sometimes we would make slow, passionate, romantic love. And other times, we'd be very rough and slutty. Although it was rough and violent, to extent, it was still very romantic because it made me realize that I'm his.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
Do you believe in the concept of "romantic love"? If so, how would you define romantic love? Have you ever felt it/received it? In your opinion, is it purely subjective? Are there different types of romantic love?

Feel free to delve into the whole "soulmate/true love" thing too. I will not judge - I welcome your different opinions, people of TSR.

As a "just in case" - I apologise in advance if this question irritates or offends you in some way. This is not my intention. Just very curious... I am aware this must have been asked before.

Romantic love doesn't exist. People only date because they're sexually attracted to each other and they find the other person ok to be around
I don't believe in it because it doesn't exist. Men just want sex, they confuse their strong desire for sex for the fictional construct that is "love". It's a silly notion that belongs in the realm of fantasy. I've certainly never felt it and I've never received it. All I experience is sexual desire for females. There's no love, there is only sex.
I believe in love but I don't think you cand define it, it means different things to different people.

Original post by Devastator
I don't believe in it because it doesn't exist. Men just want sex, they confuse their strong desire for sex for the fictional construct that is "love". It's a silly notion that belongs in the realm of fantasy. I've certainly never felt it and I've never received it. All I experience is sexual desire for females. There's no love, there is only sex.

Frankly, you're a moron.
Reply 9
Original post by Devastator

Strong argument
Original post by Protégé
I believe in love but I don't think you cand define it, it means different things to different people.

Frankly, you're a moron.

Woah, so much hostility! I can't believe my ears!
I think it's biological. If you're attracted to someone, you can make anything they do seem romantic. A simple look can turn into a 'romantic look', a simple touch can send shivers down you. The level of attraction determines how much romance you associate with a person.

Plus the meaning of romance can differ from person to person, we all have different standards.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending