The Student Room Group

Is it homophobic to be offened at being called gay?

I sometimes get called homophobic slurs on the train even though I am stright. Is it homophobic to be offened at that? Once, a few teenagers mistook me for a lesbian, even though I am male and was wearing a suite & tie :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I don't think it is. I'd be offended too.
Nope. They certainly aren't using it in a complimentary way, so I don't see how you could be anything but offended.
Original post by OU Student

Why would you been offended if someone called you something which you aren't? I have been called gay dozens of time and I simply don't care because I am not gay. I am only bothered when someone says something which is actually the case.
It is offensive to gays that homophobic people would say things like that to someone on a train as an insult. Insulting someone for being gay is like insulting someone for having blue eyes. It shouldnt be personally offensive to you, because you arent gay. Unless of course you think someone thinking you're gay is insulting. In which case yes it is homophobic. Otherwise, you should know that the people saying things like that to random people are low lives.
I actually think it is homophobic. Back in school people used to make jokes about gay this gay that and the guys used to get so wound up at the word it was actually funny.

Homosexuals are just like straight people they just prefer same sex. There'[s no need for the immaturity. Only someone who has something to hide would be offended as I'm sure all the secure people wouldn't jump up and be offended.
Original post by OU Student

I think it depends on the reasons behind you finding offence at the thought of someone mistaking you for a homosexual. I can think of worse things to be called that'd make more sense to be offended at.
Reply 6
I'm offered because they think I am gay.

I get mistaken for a girl because I have quite feminine features and long hair.
It shows that your understanding of the word gay is negative, if you take offense. If you get called straight do you take offense? Would you question it as an insult?
If they meant it with negative connotations, then yes, I'd be offended.
You are homophobic only if you as the recipient of the comment are bigoted towards homosexuals. The users are homophobic because they choose to use it in a derogatory sense.

The usage is rather like swearing at you for instance by calling someone 'tosser' or 'bastard' or 'dick'. By definition >99% of men masturbate, 50% of children are born out of wedlock and (notwithstanding medical problems) all men have a penis. The words still have the power to offend even though the great majority of us can associate with some or all of them.

Taking offence means the perpetrator has achieved their aim and, unfortunately, taking offence continues propagating the term in the bigoted sense but it does not necessarily mean you are homophobic unless you choose to be.
(edited 8 years ago)
"If someone tries to insult you by calling you "gay" just tell that n*gga how you gonna f*ck him and his dad next" - Guy on twitter 2k15
Offended you should be. No shame in it there is.
Original post by Daenerys...
I actually think it is homophobic.

Surprise! Surprise!

:rolleyes:
It's perfectly normal to feel offended when someone wrongfully calls you something :smile: Forget the 'it is homophobic' comments. I wouldn't like to be called something I'm not lol.
Original post by GodAtum
I sometimes get called homophobic slurs on the train even though I am stright. Is it homophobic to be offened at that? Once, a few teenagers mistook me for a lesbian, even though I am male and was wearing a suite & tie :frown:

It depends, if somebody thought you were gay by accident and you get angry then you're just being childish, and maybe homophobic. However if somebody was meaning to insult you, then it's definitely not homophobic. I'm gay and I'd be offended, albeit I still wouldn't care because no amounts of insults will ever get to me tbh.
I guess people just take offense in being called things that they're not, simple as that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by uberteknik
You are homophobic only if you as the recipient of the comment are bigoted towards homosexuals. The users are homophobic because they choose to use it in a derogatory sense.

The usage is rather like swearing at you for instance by calling someone 'tosser' or 'bastard' or 'dick'. By definition >99% of men masturbate, 50% of children are born out of wedlock and (notwithstanding medical problems) all men have a penis. The words still have the power to offend even though the great majority of us can associate with some or all of them.

Taking offence means the perpetrator has achieved their aim and, unfortunately, taking offence continues propagating the term in the bigoted sense but it does not necessarily mean you are homophobic unless you choose to be.

really wanna thumbs up this!!
Original post by Novascope
It's perfectly normal to feel offended when someone wrongfully calls you something :smile: Forget the 'it is homophobic' comments. I wouldn't like to be called something I'm not lol.
white.she's against whites.always bout race with this wan.
Reply 18
I don't call them gay. Gay originally meant "joyful" or "merry" or "lively" but now it is being used to refer to homosexual males or what was formerly known as sodomites.
Reply 19
Original post by al_94
I don't call them gay. Gay originally meant "joyful" or "merry" or "lively" but now it is being used to refer to homosexual males or what was formerly known as sodomites.

You're such a tool dude... You keep saying the same insulting stuff again and again and again. I'm starting to think you're THE troll around pretending to be a Muslim.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest