The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

I am a second year biomedical scientist. Ask me anything about life sciences.

Feel free to ask questions about first or second year. The department, the life science degree streams, accommodation, social life, societies, etc.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey I'm currently an offer holder for biomed, hoping to do graduate entry medicine. I loved Warwick when I visited the Uni but I'm stuck between Warwick and KCL for my firm choice! How are you finding the course? Would you say it's heavily lab based? How are the lecturers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Hey! I've put Warwick down as my firm choice & I'm so determined to get the grades to get in. I was wondering what accommodation is best? When I visited I only went to Bluebell & didn't have a chance to look at anywhere else. I'd prefer an ensuite room but any information will hell me greatly, thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by Thamaya
Hey I'm currently an offer holder for biomed, hoping to do graduate entry medicine. I loved Warwick when I visited the Uni but I'm stuck between Warwick and KCL for my firm choice! How are you finding the course? Would you say it's heavily lab based? How are the lecturers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The course is good. It's very broad and will introduce you to a huge range of fields in the first year. It remains broad, but goes into far more detail in the second year. The first year is currently very heavily lab based, although they're looking on cutting it down for this September's intake. We had far more lab hours than other Russell Group universities, so it should be pretty similar once the changes are made. The lecturers are mostly good, especially the teaching fellows. Some of the lecturers are researchers and lack passion for teaching, so this tends to come across in their lecturing ability. This is a rare occurrence, though. You'll find this is the case at the majority of institutions. There's a compromise between teaching ability and delivering cutting edge research to undergrad students.

Original post by yayradee
Hey! I've put Warwick down as my firm choice & I'm so determined to get the grades to get in. I was wondering what accommodation is best? When I visited I only went to Bluebell & didn't have a chance to look at anywhere else. I'd prefer an ensuite room but any information will hell me greatly, thanks!

I think the best compromise for cost and having an ensuit is probably Jack Martin, although JM and Arthur Vick are both extremely popular. Bluebell is just far too expensive for what you're getting. I live in Rootes in my first year and had a great time. Bluebell is £2k a year more.
Reply 4
Original post by Lethorio
Feel free to ask questions about first or second year. The department, the life science degree streams, accommodation, social life, societies, etc.

What made you choose biomed and what do you plan to do in the future career wise?
Reply 5
Original post by Trypsin
What made you choose biomed and what do you plan to do in the future career wise?

An interest in biology, with a particular interest in human biology. I'm applying to graduate entry medicine this summer.
Reply 6
It's reassuring to hear that you also are aiming for graduate entry medicine, does Warwick help you at all with the application process like UKCAT and interview practise? Also how many people are aiming for graduate medicine in your year roughly? how successful are the applicants in getting into warwick medical school? Do you interact a lot with the medical school students on campus? I'm so sorry for all these questions, I need to make my decision soon and your answers will be very valuable!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7

In terms of the social side of thing is Warwivk extremely international to the point I probably won't meet many UK based students/Londoners? Also what's your opinion on Sherbourne and does warwick have like an edgy/drum and bass scene?
Reply 8
Original post by Thamaya
It's reassuring to hear that you also are aiming for graduate entry medicine, does Warwick help you at all with the application process like UKCAT and interview practise? Also how many people are aiming for graduate medicine in your year roughly? how successful are the applicants in getting into warwick medical school? Do you interact a lot with the medical school students on campus? I'm so sorry for all these questions, I need to make my decision soon and your answers will be very valuable!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not particularly. There are some workshops led by a member of the department that used to work in admissions for medical schools. You can arrange to have mock interviews too, but I haven't used those yet, since interviews won't be until early next year. The majority of biomedical science students want to apply to graduate entry medicine, and a few from the other life sciences (biological sciences/medical microbiology and virology/biochemistry) also want to apply to medicine. It's extremely competitive.

We're situated next to the medical school building, although you won't typically interact with the medical students much. We share the same cafe. The Pre-Med Society organised an event last year in which undergrad students met up with first year medical students in a pub on campus, to chat about the entry process and life as a med student, which was great.

Original post by Age
In terms of the social side of thing is Warwivk extremely international to the point I probably won't meet many UK based students/Londoners? Also what's your opinion on Sherbourne and does warwick have like an edgy/drum and bass scene?

There are a lot of international students, but you won't struggle to find British students, no. I live in Rootes in my first year. Out of 18 of us, we had four international students. One Chinese guy kept himself to himself, but the others were very sociable. Sherbourne is a great accommodation, although being based in Gibbet Hill, it was a bit too far away for me to consider it. I think it's also the second most expensive accommodation. It's basically the same as Bluebell, except you get a single bed instead of a double. I'm not into that type of music, but I know there's a D&B event on every so often (weekly? fortnightly?) at the SU called 'Crash'.
Hi,

Really random question but I just wanted to know whether the lecturers film each of their lectures - in case you miss a lecture will you able to catch up quickly?
Thanks

No brainer1
Original post by No brainer1
Hi,

Really random question but I just wanted to know whether the lecturers film each of their lectures - in case you miss a lecture will you able to catch up quickly?
Thanks

No brainer1

Depends on the lecturer :yep:

Some actively record all of their lectures, some have the intention of recording all their lectures but can't work the software so it inevitably goes wrong, and some are strongly opposed to recording lectures so they don't. There's a great mixture! :tongue:

Hey! Im first year biomed at Glasgow Caledonian.
Emm what uni do you go? And do you have like a cells and biomolecules module? Or a maths and stats module?!?!?! :redface:
Reply 12
Original post by Princess31
Hey! Im first year biomed at Glasgow Caledonian.
Emm what uni do you go? And do you have like a cells and biomolecules module? Or a maths and stats module?!?!?! :redface:

Warwick. This is the Warwick forum. We have two modules that incorporate molecular biology and cell biology in the first year. Proteins, Genes and Genetics is the molecular biology module. Cell, Tissues and Organisms is the cell biology module. They are being rolled into one huge module called Molecules, Cells and Organisms for the next academic year.

There's a Quantitative Biology module in the first year, which introduces a lot of statistical approaches to presenting data.
Hi Lethorio! I'm a first year at Warwick, any tips for the upcoming exams? I've already done quite a bit of revision and just keeping at it at the moment, but I'm kinda scared having not really done it before.

Just wondering if you had any tips/tricks/recommendations or anything really!

Good luck with applying to Grad entry, I will be applying in a few years time provided I get the grades and a good UKCAT. The guy who is running the mock interviews is very good and insightful actually and they say they'll provide you with a lot of support from now onwards so it might be good chatting to him. For the other person who asked about warwick's support for grad students, the pre med society are now running UKCAT workshops, they've not taken place yet but I'll report back if they're any good! UKCAT seems so important to grad entry programmes so I think this is a great step in the right direction.
Reply 14
Original post by gaby_xo
Hi Lethorio! I'm a first year at Warwick, any tips for the upcoming exams? I've already done quite a bit of revision and just keeping at it at the moment, but I'm kinda scared having not really done it before.

Just wondering if you had any tips/tricks/recommendations or anything really!

Good luck with applying to Grad entry, I will be applying in a few years time provided I get the grades and a good UKCAT. The guy who is running the mock interviews is very good and insightful actually and they say they'll provide you with a lot of support from now onwards so it might be good chatting to him. For the other person who asked about warwick's support for grad students, the pre med society are now running UKCAT workshops, they've not taken place yet but I'll report back if they're any good! UKCAT seems so important to grad entry programmes so I think this is a great step in the right direction.

Thanks. I would just check over past papers, really. The majority of the Health and Community exam last year were repeated questions from the previous year. PGG and P&M require the most revision by far. I revised CTO for a few days before the exam and did well. AID is mostly common sense and a bit of revision.
What grade in biology did you get at as level and can you remember how well you done in practical skills
Reply 16
Original post by ElectronDonor
What grade in biology did you get at as level and can you remember how well you done in practical skills

I did an access course to get into university. I got a distinction in all of my practical modules in college.
Thanks. I would just check over past papers, really. The majority of the Health and Community exam last year were repeated questions from the previous year. PGG and P&M require the most revision by far. I revised CTO for a few days before the exam and did well. AID is mostly common sense and a bit of revision.

Ah good idea. I will do! Did you just use lecture slides to make notes or did you use Stryer o anything else as well? Its kinda hard to grasp what level of detail they expect. Like in P&M, there is like one lecture on photosynthesis but a whole chapter in Stryer, I don't even know where to start with it! (same with glycolysis, PPP, ect). P & M is definitely the one that is scaring me the most.

I will leave AID and CTO till last I think!

Thanks for your help!
Reply 18
Original post by gaby_xo
Ah good idea. I will do! Did you just use lecture slides to make notes or did you use Stryer o anything else as well? Its kinda hard to grasp what level of detail they expect. Like in P&M, there is like one lecture on photosynthesis but a whole chapter in Stryer, I don't even know where to start with it! (same with glycolysis, PPP, ect). P & M is definitely the one that is scaring me the most.

I will leave AID and CTO till last I think!

Thanks for your help!

If it isn't on the slides, it isn't examinable. I just revised from the lecture slides last year, barely bothered with the text books at all.
Reply 19
Thank you so much both of you for answering my questions! I'm still debating between KCL and Warwick but from what you two are saying and from what I have heard from the tutors at Warwick there seems to be a lot of help for pupils wanting to do GEM after! I didn't realise that they help with UKCAT! Do you guys feel because you are so far away from main campus, is it difficult to make friends with people outside of life science?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest