The Student Room Group

Is it worth applying to Cambridge for English?

I'm studying for my A2 exams and I have firmed the University of Bristol.

My predictions are A*A*A*A (in History, English, Classical Civilisation and Geography) and many of my teachers have told me it is worth reapplying to Cambridge for English should I achieve those grades.

Do you think it's worth it? My GCSEs, at a standard state school, were 1A* 8As 2Bs. I got an academic scholarship to a private Sixth Form.

I'm mostly concerned about my GCSEs - my UMS average for AS was 88%.

Cheers x
Hi,

Great to hear that you're thinking of Cambridge! Our typical conditional offer for English is A*AA, so you are well on track to a competitive application. We only ever look at GCSEs in the context of your school rather than nationally and there is absolutely no GCSE requirement for English. One of the things interviewers use Year 11 results for is to see if you are on an upward trajectory - whether you have handled the step up to sixth form by improving your academic abilities which certainly looks to be the case from the predictions you mention. If you want to find out more, you may wish to visit the University on an Open Day.

However, you should also bear in mind that places at Cambridge are very competitive and you should think very carefully about the implications of turning down your place at Bristol.
Reply 2
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Hi,

Great to hear that you're thinking of Cambridge! Our typical conditional offer for English is A*AA, so you are well on track to a competitive application. We only ever look at GCSEs in the context of your school rather than nationally and there is absolutely no GCSE requirement for English. One of the things interviewers use Year 11 results for is to see if you are on an upward trajectory - whether you have handled the step up to sixth form by improving your academic abilities which certainly looks to be the case from the predictions you mention. If you want to find out more, you may wish to visit the University on an Open Day.

However, you should also bear in mind that places at Cambridge are very competitive and you should think very carefully about the implications of turning down your place at Bristol.

Thank you. Strangely enough I was hoping to apply to Peterhouse. I was wondering, is the interview just as crucial for me, should I apply with 2-3 A*s, as it is for somebody who is in Year 12? Or does the fact that I already have my grades lessen the importance of it? Also, are there any statistics on the success rate of people who reapply? I'm slightly worried I would be rejected and have to complete a gap year offer-less.
Bear in mind that if you take the route of applying to Cambridge during a gap year, you can always reapply to other universities too (including Bristol - although you are not allowed to defer entry while reapplying, UCAS doesn't allow that). Obviously there's no guarantee you'll get into Bristol again, but with such good grades I'm sure you'll get other university offers even if you don't get into Cambridge :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Bear in mind that if you take the route of applying to Cambridge during a gap year, you can always reapply to other universities too (including Bristol - although you are not allowed to defer entry while reapplying, UCAS doesn't allow that). Obviously there's no guarantee you'll get into Bristol again, but with such good grades I'm sure you'll get other university offers even if you don't get into Cambridge :smile:

That's true. Hopefully I'll be ensured a place at a good uni elsewhere. I'm just daunted by the amount of English applicants Cambridge accept for each college, usually very little (5-8). I really like Fitzwilliam and Selwyn but they admit the lowest I've seen.
Original post by kroziaa
That's true. Hopefully I'll be ensured a place at a good uni elsewhere. I'm just daunted by the amount of English applicants Cambridge accept for each college, usually very little (5-8). I really like Fitzwilliam and Selwyn but they admit the lowest I've seen.

Fitz is a really lovely college (I'm right next door at Murray Edwards :smile: ), as is Selwyn. Even though a college doesn't admit many students though, they probably also have a correspondingly lower number of applicants - there are some statistics on applicants per college on the Cambridge website (n.b. Selwyn is really convenient for your department + the library, so may be more competitive for English students...). To be honest, it doesn't matter all that much if your chosen college appears to be more competitive - the pooling system means that if the college doesn't have space for you they can recommend you to be offered a place elsewhere :smile: The statistics are useful if you're really keen on a particular aspect of a college though - e.g. if you want one near your department, but don't mind exactly which college it is. You can use the statistics to get an idea of how likely you are to get into your chosen college as opposed to being offered a place at a college less suitable (e.g. a college miles away). That being said, all the colleges are pretty similar and so aside from location and perhaps accommodation costs/ aesthetics there isn't an awful lot to differentiate between them - everyone is happy with the college they end up at :smile:
Original post by kroziaa
Thank you. Strangely enough I was hoping to apply to Peterhouse. I was wondering, is the interview just as crucial for me, should I apply with 2-3 A*s, as it is for somebody who is in Year 12? Or does the fact that I already have my grades lessen the importance of it? Also, are there any statistics on the success rate of people who reapply? I'm slightly worried I would be rejected and have to complete a gap year offer-less.

Hi, great to hear that you're considering Peterhouse! No particular weight is attached to any particular piece of information so the interview will not necessarily be any more, or any less important. I'm afraid I don't have information on candidates who reapply.
Reply 7
Fitz is a really lovely college (I'm right next door at Murray Edwards :smile: ), as is Selwyn. Even though a college doesn't admit many students though, they probably also have a correspondingly lower number of applicants - there are some statistics on applicants per college on the Cambridge website (n.b. Selwyn is really convenient for your department + the library, so may be more competitive for English students...). To be honest, it doesn't matter all that much if your chosen college appears to be more competitive - the pooling system means that if the college doesn't have space for you they can recommend you to be offered a place elsewhere :smile: The statistics are useful if you're really keen on a particular aspect of a college though - e.g. if you want one near your department, but don't mind exactly which college it is. You can use the statistics to get an idea of how likely you are to get into your chosen college as opposed to being offered a place at a college less suitable (e.g. a college miles away). That being said, all the colleges are pretty similar and so aside from location and perhaps accommodation costs/ aesthetics there isn't an awful lot to differentiate between them - everyone is happy with the college they end up at :smile:

Thank you. I'm mostly attracted by its alumni that anything to be honest (Nick Drake especially). I'd love to go there - but what are my chances? I feel as if A*A*AA is sufficient but not truly safe in comparison to A*A*A*A. Does this give me the upper hand considering I already have my grades?
Original post by kroziaa
Thank you. I'm mostly attracted by its alumni that anything to be honest (Nick Drake especially). I'd love to go there - but what are my chances? I feel as if A*A*AA is sufficient but not truly safe in comparison to A*A*A*A. Does this give me the upper hand considering I already have my grades?

I'm not an admissions tutor so can't really comment on your likelihood of getting an offer - however as long as you have met their minimum requirements and have good UMS scores you probably have a good shot at getting an interview. Then, it's up to you to impress them :smile: Different colleges/ admissions tutors put different weightings on each component of the admissions process - some may mainly look at grades and UMS scores, whereas others may just require you to meet the minimum course requirements and then judge you based on your interview. Some colleges will ask students to sit an additional admissions test or ask you to submit some written work - then may put a lot of emphasis on your score in this, or just use it as a starting point for discussion at interview.

Btw, alumnae will have pretty no influence on your experience at the college - not saying that your method of choosing a college is completely wrong, but it's definitely worth considering other factors which may be more important, e.g. accommodation, costs, food, location, careers services, exchange agreements, travel grants, etc.
I'm not an admissions tutor so can't really comment on your likelihood of getting an offer - however as long as you have met their minimum requirements and have good UMS scores you probably have a good shot at getting an interview. Then, it's up to you to impress them :smile: Different colleges/ admissions tutors put different weightings on each component of the admissions process - some may mainly look at grades and UMS scores, whereas others may just require you to meet the minimum course requirements and then judge you based on your interview. Some colleges will ask students to sit an additional admissions test or ask you to submit some written work - then may put a lot of emphasis on your score in this, or just use it as a starting point for discussion at interview.

This is not quite correct. No college has any fixed weighing in any aspect of a candidate's application in their selection process. They ALWAYS look at each candidate holistically, as repeatedly mentioned by the admission tutors in this forum.

OP if you want to get more accurate/reliable answer to your question it may worth posting it on Christ's admission tutor's thread. I know it's not the college you're interested in arm, but I think you'll be able to get better picture about Cambridge selection system in general.
Original post by kroziaa
I'm studying for my A2 exams and I have firmed the University of Bristol.

My predictions are A*A*A*A (in History, English, Classical Civilisation and Geography) and many of my teachers have told me it is worth reapplying to Cambridge for English should I achieve those grades.

Do you think it's worth it? My GCSEs, at a standard state school, were 1A* 8As 2Bs. I got an academic scholarship to a private Sixth Form.

I'm mostly concerned about my GCSEs - my UMS average for AS was 88%.

Cheers x

So did you apply to Cambridge the first time and get rejected or did you not even apply at all?

I think the main thing to keep in mind is that taking a gap year for Cambridge is a big consideration. Not only because you'll need to be working on your application to strengthen your chances of getting in but also - what are you going to do in that year? So many people I know took gap months instead. By this I mean that they took a gap year but only planned a few months of their year and the rest was "to get a job". You guessed it, they didn't get any jobs and got really bored for the rest of it. Effectively doing nothing and gaining nothing. So think carefully and plan carefully.

Second thing is that although your predicted grades are amazing, your application doesn't rest 100% on grades alone. There are people who don't get offers despite looking amazing on paper. An application to Cambridge next year doesn't mean you'll get in - of course, I hope you do, but do also consider the less favourable outcome.

Sorry to be so negative in my post, I just wanted to point out the risks and consequences. Bristol of course is a fantastic uni where I'm sure you'll excel equally. If you do choose to apply to Cambridge next year, then all the best (as well as for the exams) x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Crystalclearmagic
So did you apply to Cambridge the first time and get rejected or did you not even apply at all?

I think the main thing to keep in mind is that taking a gap year for Cambridge is a big consideration. Not only because you'll need to be working on your application to strengthen your chances of getting in but also - what are you going to do in that year? So many people I know took gap months instead. By this I mean that they took a gap year but only planned a few months of their year and the rest was "to get a job". You guessed it, they didn't get any jobs and got really bored for the rest of it. Effectively doing nothing and gaining nothing. So think carefully and plan carefully.

Second thing is that although your predicted grades are amazing, your application doesn't rest 100% on grades alone. There are people who don't get offers despite looking amazing on paper. An application to Cambridge next year doesn't mean you'll get in - of course, I hope you do, but do also consider the less favourable outcome.

Sorry to be so negative in my post, I just wanted to point out the risks and consequences. Bristol of course is a fantastic uni where I'm sure you'll excel equally. If you do choose to apply to Cambridge next year, then all the best (as well as for the exams) x

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I didn't apply for Cambridge this year. My UMS avg. was 88% and I heard was supposed to be 90% or above. That's true, and it's what I'm worried about! I intend to get law work experience with a firm (my friend's dad has told me he would sort me out with some) and then I'd get a job. Thank you though - all of this is really dependent on those grades. if I get A*AAA I still won't apply, I feel like I have to hit high above the requirements.
Reply 12
If you apply post A-level with A*A*A* you would be guaranteed an interview at the very least, as it qualifies you for "auto-pooling".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending