The Student Room Group

How much would it cost me to live alone? (worthing)

I am going to be 16, and if i get this apprenticeship, how much am i looking to pay a week on everything, rent bills and food.

south of country, around or in worthing.

Scroll to see replies

Hey :smile: just be aware that because of your age you may find difficulty getting somewhere willing to let you rent. And most likely they will ask you for a guarantor (such as your parents), which is someone who is obliged to pay the rent if you fail to.

As for costs per week that will depend on a lot of things, such as area and bedroom number. I assume you will be looking for a one bedroom flat, if not you may want to look into house shares as they can sometimes work out cheaper.

Bills can also vary slightly by property and area, for example it will cost more to heat a not so well insulated house than one that is well insulated. So it is hard to answer these questions with any degree of accuracy.

As for food that will depend on the shops you will be able to purchase food from and how much you eat and how well you can cook. For example if you shop exclusively at tesco your shopping will likely be more expensive than if you shop at Aldi. But for reference Β£20-30 a week (or more if you're particular on brands) is a good amount of money for a single person to be spending per week on food if they are cooking food themselves and not eating out.
Reply 2
Original post by SophieSmall
Hey :smile: just be aware that because of your age you may find difficulty getting somewhere willing to let you rent. And most likely they will ask you for a guarantor (such as your parents), which is someone who is obliged to pay the rent if you fail to.

As for costs per week that will depend on a lot of things, such as area and bedroom number. I assume you will be looking for a one bedroom flat, if not you may want to look into house shares as they can sometimes work out cheaper.

Bills can also vary slightly by property and area, for example it will cost more to heat a not so well insulated house than one that is well insulated. So it is hard to answer these questions with any degree of accuracy.

As for food that will depend on the shops you will be able to purchase food from and how much you eat and how well you can cook. For example if you shop exclusively at tesco your shopping will likely be more expensive than if you shop at Aldi. But for reference Β£20-30 a week (or more if you're particular on brands) is a good amount of money for a single person to be spending per week on food if they are cooking food themselves and not eating out.

What is your rough estimate of 1 bedrom flat per week or month?
Original post by Cazi7
What is your rough estimate of 1 bedrom flat per week or month?

A very rough estimate looking at Worthing on property renting sites, you're looking at round Β£600-700 a month.
Reply 4
Original post by SophieSmall
A very rough estimate looking at Worthing on property renting sites, you're looking at round Β£600-700 a month.

Hows that possible for a 1 bedroom flat?

Its not london?

You can get 1 bedroom flat probably around 70Β£ a week in midlands.
Original post by Cazi7
Hows that possible for a 1 bedroom flat?

Its not london?

You can get 1 bedroom flat probably around 70Β£ a week in midlands.

Just look up the area and rent prices, you'll get many sites with places available for rent in the area you have chosen. I just typed in Worthing rent prices, went onto a site and made the criteria to only look for one bedroom flats within a 1 mile radius or Worthing and those were the results I got.

Maybe Worthing is an expensive area, I don't know the place myself. I personally thought it was very expensive, but then again I live up north in a place where you can rent 3 bedroom houses cheaper than that.
Reply 6
Alright got it. Thanks
Just so you know apprenticeship is unlike to pay you enough to afford to live in a one bed flat. Look at house shares but you still may not make enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Moved from University Life to Money and finance.

Thanks,

RF
Original post by Cazi7
I am going to be 16, and if i get this apprenticeship, how much am i looking to pay a week on everything, rent bills and food.

south of country, around or in worthing.

most apprenticeships don't pay enough to cover the costs of living independently
Reply 10
Original post by Gott
How much are you getting for the apprenticeship?

301Β£ a week

i know i can survive on this wage but i want to know how much i would be able to pocket. a week or month or the year
If it is London you are talking about then beware because the prices are so high up there, its just not worth going through all the stress and hassle.
Reply 12
Original post by Gott
That's tons, what sort is it?

what do you mean by sort?

well i seen a 1 bed flat rent online in worthing for like 500Β£ that is high
Reply 13
Original post by German123
If it is London you are talking about then beware because the prices are so high up there, its just not worth going through all the stress and hassle.

its not london its worthing,

but the prices are high, the prices i seen online for 1 bedroom flat at worthing is very high,
Original post by Cazi7
its not london its worthing,

but the prices are high, the prices i seen online for 1 bedroom flat at worthing is very high,

Yes, prices are increasing especially in London, Its just horrific, God knows what the prices will be like in 10 years time.

Even to be able to get 1 bedroom flat you will be expected to pay thousands.
Reply 15
Original post by Gott
I meant what does the apprenticeship involve out of interest? Couldn't you go for a studio flat? That'd be cheaper

its IT apprenticeship with capgemini,

could you give me a rough estimate how much i would spend a week with rent bill and food etc..?
Original post by Gott
Β£70 per week a lot?

Where did I say that?

I think Β£70 a week can be pretty good, but it depends on the property and area.
Reply 17
Original post by Gott
Β£70 per week a lot?

uh?

rightmove is showing me some high numbers thats why i am worried and asking for help,.

That property is only available to people over 30. I already said in my first response to OP that he is probably going to have a very hard time finding someone who will let him rent independently at his age :/
Original post by Gott
What a bummer! :confused:. Why is independence so difficult to achieve? :tongue:

Something to do with the legality of tenancy documents if under 18, I don't remember exactly. Also landlords see young people (generally under 21) as a risk to rent to as they often have little life experience and can mess up quite badly. Can't really say I blame them, if I was a landlord I wouldn't rent to someone under 18 either.

Quick Reply