The Student Room Group

As literature help!!

Hi so I'm studying as literature and my exams on my the 15th I'm doing Victorian texts Mrs warrens Proffesion and Dorian grey I got a D in my mock and really want a B or A can anyone help me for preparations and how I can improve? I'm also not sure on what to include in the exam like how many prose, or poems to compare for each question?? And would anyone recommend anything. Thank you!!
remembrer to include your exam board for people to help you. General advice, historical background and context is always an easy way to increase your mark. Why has this text been written in this particular era, what does it say about the society? thematic comparison is also the way to go when comparing prose to anything else.
Original post by 1Rachxxxx
Hi so I'm studying as literature and my exams on my the 15th I'm doing Victorian texts Mrs warrens Proffesion and Dorian grey I got a D in my mock and really want a B or A can anyone help me for preparations and how I can improve? I'm also not sure on what to include in the exam like how many prose, or poems to compare for each question?? And would anyone recommend anything. Thank you!!

hayyyy i know its quite late. but iam doing dorian gray and yeats poetry. so far i have an a in dorian for our mocks and b in poetry. so my tips are when you ge a question dont think of point, first think of quotations which you can use. then plan your paragraph on that. to this paragraph add analysis so pick out a word and suggest what mood or effect it creates. then relate it to wilde, say the poet at the time of writing would have seen these hardships of the late 19th century. then add the end link it back to the question so say therefore this shows....blah blah blah the corruption within the novel. to score more marks make sure you can project your own ideas for example... this quote could portray wilde being fustrated with the society .... then use another quote to support your idea

however for yeats: you should, make a point, analyse (analysis is critical in this section since you dont need critics) make sure you always link back to context so say "at this time of writing an irish audience would have been shocked at yeats use of words" also try not to focus on maud gonne, examiners do not like that. Okay so finally you should compare your poem with at least 5 other poems using 2 quotations from each. make sure to refer to structure and rhyme scheme as you cannot get full marks if you don't xx
hope it helps, sorry if it doesnt

Quick Reply