The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

Work experience when applying for a BA in fashion design (csm)???

I am applying for BA Fashion Design Womenswear and I want to find some relevant work experience to help my application. I've been looking to find textile or fashion design placements and even at bespoke tailors but it's proving difficult and in truth I don't really know what to look for! Is there anyone that has already done experience or know if there anything in particular that colleges will value most?? (especially for fashion design).

I'm also interested in doing a short course in maybe embroidery or draping, any thoughts on that??? It's a lot of money! I'm already due to start an Art and Design foundation in September and wonder whether it will be money wasted as I'd acquire a range of skills on the course anyway??

Sorry for the ramble I'm starting to panic I'll have a dry application - CSM would be by top choice :eek: !!!

Any kind of advice would be very very helpful thanks!!!!
Reply 1
Original post by Elenihinis
I am applying for BA Fashion Design Womenswear and I want to find some relevant work experience to help my application. I've been looking to find textile or fashion design placements and even at bespoke tailors but it's proving difficult and in truth I don't really know what to look for! Is there anyone that has already done experience or know if there anything in particular that colleges will value most?? (especially for fashion design).

I'm also interested in doing a short course in maybe embroidery or draping, any thoughts on that??? It's a lot of money! I'm already due to start an Art and Design foundation in September and wonder whether it will be money wasted as I'd acquire a range of skills on the course anyway??

Sorry for the ramble I'm starting to panic I'll have a dry application - CSM would be by top choice :eek: !!!

Any kind of advice would be very very helpful thanks!!!!

Hii,

I've just been accepted into CSM for Fashion Design with Knit pathway. In terms of "experience" when applying, I did a three week internship with an EX-student who now runs her own label. It was really great and I would highly recommend it. Having said that, It is not entirely crucial as I was never asked about it at interview; If it is something you feel that you need, look at current/past graduates from CSM or other colleges and just simply email them asking for some brief work experience/internship. That's how I got mine and it was incredibly straightforward. Don't panic! You learn loads on foundation anyway!

Hope this helped, :smile:
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by vluevl
Hii,

I've just been accepted into CSM for Fashion Design with Knit pathway. In terms of "experience" when applying, I did a three week internship with an EX-student who now runs her own label. It was really great and I would highly recommend it. Having said that, It is not entirely crucial as I was never asked about it at interview; If it is something you feel that you need, look at current/past graduates from CSM or other colleges and just simply email them asking for some brief work experience/internship. That's how I got mine and it was incredibly straightforward. Don't panic! You learn loads on foundation anyway!

Hope this helped, :smile:

I would have never thought of doing that - such a good idea!
Thanks so much I will definitely read up on it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending