The Student Room Group

Cambridge Trinity Law Competition 2015

Hi, now that the deadline's over, I wanted to know if anyone entered for the Trinity Law essay competition for 2015 (Or for any other subjects).:smile:

How did everyone answer it?

Scroll to see replies

I entered, how did you find it?
Reply 2
I ended up waffling a bit. Wish i had a tighter focus. Nevertheless, I think the question was less difficult to understand than previous years'. What about you?

When do you think results will come out?
Yeah, same. At the beginning I found it hard to fill the 2,000 words, however, at the end I found myself cutting out large chunks as I'd written too much. I saw a thread about the 2013 competition and I gathered from the thread that it took approximately 3 weeks for the results. So, if they're sticking to 3 weeks, I guess the results should be out by this Monday but, I mean, they may take longer this time. What was your line of argument?
Reply 4
Same here, I wrote too little so I added another paragraph which wasn't too tightly focused. I'm not sure whether that acted negatively or positively for my essay. I also realised that i made lots of small mistakes, in terms of grammar or poor proofreading skills. :frown:

Well I argued that we should allow people to sell organs.
I discussed the obvious advantages related to selling organs: more operations can take place, may be a safer option than not allowing operations.
I talked about autonomy as well.

That's all i remember. (I tried looking at the file to remind myself but Icant seem to find the file on my computer)

What about you?

Hope it is this Monday.
Reply 5
I also submitted an essay. I personally found the subject more straight forward than in previous years. I wrote about autonomy, black markets, altruism and coercion.
Did you use citations? How many and how did you reference them?
I really hope the results will be out soon! 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
When you say citations, what did you need them for? Who/what materials did you reference?
Dont think i did any :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
I inserted just 3 citations/quotes from: Savulescu, Taylor and Scheper Hughes. Since all three of them are authorities in this field I thought it might lend more credibility to my essay. I am sure it wasn't necessary though.
Did you structure your essay as discursive or persuasive?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Your essay sounds so impressive! Wish I did that!!!

Mine was persuasive - you?
Reply 9
Thanks!
I actually considered writing persuasive but I have more practice with discursive so I decided to settle for what I know best.
I am not a native speaker so I thought this is not the right time to experiment with my english. I presume you are from the UK, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I am! Your english sounds pretty natural to me, I don't think you need to worry!

Did you mention any possible flaws to your argument?
Reply 11
You mean like possible situations to which my argument does not apply? What exactly do you mean by flaws?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Yeah. I guess I'm in a bit of a different position to you seeing as my essay was more persuasive than discursive.
Reply 13
I think I might have but quite limited. Do you have any idea how many entries were or are likely to be?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
I have no idea. I think around 300?
Reply 15
Wow! That's a lot!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
It's evidently very competitive and popular seeing as there are international entries as well!
Reply 17
We might be overestimating the participation rate. After all, is not that easy writing a 2,000 words essay while preparing for A Levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
That's true. I think it would make me feel better to think that this was a highly competitive competition if my essay doesn't get acknowledged.

How long did you spend writing your essay?
Reply 19
I spent a week but during that time I only worked on this essay, nothing else. You?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest