The Student Room Group

Female CEO critiques the Premier League model - how dare she?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by TornadoGR4
I can't help it :moon:

Look at the Championship table going into the final 2 games:

Now look at the Prem Title & Top 4 battle with 5/6 games remaining

Sky can't even flog a good top 4 battle this year. The top of the PL has nothing, the relegation scrap is the most interesting part behind the Championship promotion battle. God, I do love the Football League.

And last year it was the opposite
Reply 21
Obvious trolling.

Name me one top player in the Championship
Original post by difeo
And last year it was the opposite

Last year Birmingham scored in the very last minute to keep themselves up & relegate Doncaster. It's guaranteed excitement every season. Real football fans appreciate the Football League. Young kids that like the @TrollFootball tripe are the ones that smack down anything that isn't the PL, La Liga & CL.

Original post by al_94
Name me one top player in the Championship

Callum Wilson
Lol cos sex is relevant. rofl.
Reply 24

Callum Wilson

The fact I've never heard of him speaks volumes yet alone never seen him play. He's definitely not top 100 in the world he's not a top player,
Original post by al_94
The fact I've never heard of him speaks volumes yet alone never seen him play. He's definitely not top 100 in the world he's not a top player,

0/10 You need wumming lessons m9
Reply 26
Original post by The Shed End

That's all you do on Arsenal thread so maybe you can teach me
Reply 27

m7 i pick sammer
Original post by al_94
That's all you do on Arsenal thread so maybe you can teach me

That was my point you retard.

You've had a mare on this thread. Time for bed son.
Championship/Premier league should copy the Scottish football model.

2 teams can go automatically up/down. However the third bottom team of the premier league should play the third top team of the Championship for the chance to play in the Premier league.
Original post by Zander01
Championship/Premier league should copy the Scottish football model.

2 teams can go automatically up/down. However the third bottom team of the premier league should play the third top team of the Championship for the chance to play in the Premier league.

I'd worry the gap in quality would mean that the majority of years would see the Prem team win. I like the 3 up, 3 down system. The Playoff loser playing 4th bottom of the PL would be interesting, but the PL doesn't have enough teams to allow 4 to go down.
Original post by Wilfred Little
The first point she made was about predictability/the fact that the Championship is less of a closed shop (meaning anyone can win it) unlike the PL which is unless you're in that select group at the top and it's only getting worse because of the TV rights. It's a valid point.

Obviously the PL will be of a higher quality -- only a complete idiot would think otherwise.

Bit of a short memory you have, didn't last year go down to the final game in the pl for the title whilst Leicester gained promotion and then the title with a fair few games to go? And there's almost always a top 4 scrap or relegation battle. Tbf a playoff makes it more interesting and keeps even the good midtable teams fighting until the end, but people jumping on the bandwagon saying the championship is more interesting based off just this season is laughable
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by leinad2012
Bit of a short memory you have, didn't last year go down to the final game in the pl for the title whilst Leicester gained promotion and then the title with a fair few games to go? And there's almost always a top 4 scrap or relegation battle. Tbf a playoff makes it more interesting and keeps even the good midtable teams fighting until the end, but people jping on the bandwagon saiying the chpionship is more interesting based off just this season is laughable

What about the season before when, not just in the Championship but League One as well, there was drama right until the last few minutes? Brentford missed a penalty then the side they were playing went up the other end and scored. Hull were losing to Cardiff/Leicester iirc and scored a late late goal after the other team missed their penalty. Then Watford - Leicester were all square in the final minute of the play off semi final and Knockaert missed his penalty, Watford went straight up the other end and scored.
Bit of a short memory you have, didn't last year go down to the final game in the pl for the title whilst Leicester gained promotion and then the title with a fair few games to go? And there's almost always a top 4 scrap or relegation battle. Tbf a playoff makes it more interesting and keeps even the good midtable teams fighting until the end, but people jping on the bandwagon saiying the chpionship is more interesting based off just this season is laughable

Leicester and burnleys complete domination of the division to the point of being promoted by easter was a one-off, usually everything in the championship goes right down to the last few games - out of the championship and Premiership, 9 season out of ten the championship is a better spectacle in terms of competitiveness. It'll never match it for skill, there's too much money in the prem for that to happen, but if you want an exciting top end battle, look to the championship instead.
What about the season before when, not just in the Championship but League One as well, there was drama right until the last few minutes? Brentford missed a penalty then the side they were playing went up the other end and scored. Hull were losing to Cardiff/Leicester iirc and scored a late late goal after the other team missed their penalty. Then Watford - Leicester were all square in the final minute of the play off semi final and Knockaert missed his penalty, Watford went straight up the other end and scored.

I agree, all of the leagues have years when it's crazy to the last minute of the season, trust me, I'm not someone who slams lower leagues, my local team is in league 2 (hopefully league 1 in 4 weeks time) and are my second club. My point is why are we comparing the leagues based on 1 season, actually, why are we comparing them at all? Each has had incredible moments; City scoring twice in the last 10 minutes to win the league, the Watford Leicester play-off madness, Brentford vs. Donny last game of the season with Brentford missing out on automatic promotion by missing a penalty and Doncaster going up the other end to score and win the league. ****, even my local team Stevenage sneaking into 7th place (the last play-off place) on the last day of the season in league 2 a few years back and winning the play-offs to get promoted (and back to back promotion :biggrin:).

We shouldn't be comparing the leagues, each is great in its' own right and is one of the big positives of English football that we have so many professional teams. The sooner we get rid of the unnecessary rivalry between the PL supporters (viewed as bandwagon fans by lower leagues (i.e. division through inferiority)) and Lower League supporters (who are viewed as common lower class by PL supporters (i.e. division through superiority)), the better
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Leicester and burnleys complete domination of the division to the point of being promoted by easter was a one-off, usually everything in the championship goes right down to the last few games - out of the championship and Premiership, 9 season out of ten the championship is a better spectacle in terms of competitiveness. It'll never match it for skill, there's too much money in the prem for that to happen, but if you want an exciting top end battle, look to the championship instead.

I disagree to an extent, there's almost always at least 1 team, normally 2 relegated with 5 games to go in championship. But anyway, as I've already said, I don't see why we compare them at all, they're both excellent in their own right and entertaining in their own way.
The sooner we get rid of the unnecessary rivalry between the PL supporters (viewed as bandwagon fans by lower leagues (i.e. division through inferiority)) and Lower League supporters (who are viewed as common lower class by PL supporters (i.e. division through superiority)), the better

Never going to happen, particularly as the gap between the PL & Championship is growing. I think I read somewhere that the cost to televise 1 game from that new £5bn deal would pay Accrington Stanley's entire wage bill for 20 years (not just playing staff, but the whole club staff).

I'm guilty of judging PL club fans on being gloryhunters. It's a bit annoying to see people claim how hard it is to support Man Utd & Arsenal when they haven't been put through 10% of the **** some clubs have in the FL. Hereford went bust last season & 1 week of Rooney's wages would've saved an entire club. Then you've got the idiots that never look at the FL claim it's a "garbage league with garbage clubs, garbage players & garbage managers".
Bit of a short memory you have, didn't last year go down to the final game in the pl for the title whilst Leicester gained promotion and then the title with a fair few games to go? And there's almost always a top 4 scrap or relegation battle. Tbf a playoff makes it more interesting and keeps even the good midtable teams fighting until the end, but people jumping on the bandwagon saying the championship is more interesting based off just this season is laughable

lol at bit of a short memory. One season it went down to the last game, wow. But who won it mate? How did they win it and what is the main thing being criticised on that video?

Nobody has said the Championship is better based off just this season (lol at you using a one off season in the PL to argue your point and then posting that), numerous examples have already been given to you.
Original post by Wilfred Little
lol at bit of a short memory. One season it went down to the last game, wow. But who won it mate? How did they win it and what is the main thing being criticised on that video?

Nobody has said the Championship is better based off just this season (lol at you using a one off season in the PL to argue your point and then posting that), numerous examples have already been given to you.

One season? It happens very often in ALL leagues, only a few years ago between City and United, then City and Liverpool. WHO won and HOW? I see no difference between City using money to win the league and Leicester and QPR doing exactly the same to get promoted in the last few seasons?

I think you're missing the point of my argument completely, why do we keep comparing the pl to the Championship? I think the points raised in the video are very good actually, but the bit about "promoting youth" and then criticising Chelsea for sending a top young striker on loan to get experience (a player who they could well do with this weekend), is exactly the kind of bs I'm talking about. She wants the English national side to improve, but slams top teams for loaning out their brightest players to lower league teams to get experience and also doesn't want the set up of B teams, it's contradictory.
Brief cos I'm on my phone.

- it doesn't happen very often, occasionally but not often. And it's always the same mega rich clubs, which is what she was saying.

- Many people have criticised QPR for their spending.

- We keep comparing the two because there is more parity in the Championship and people want to see similar in the so called best league in the world, obviously.

- Stockpiling of players is a legitimate problem, she might have used a bad example to prove her point but look at the likes of Rodwell, Sinclair etc.

Quick Reply

Latest