The Student Room Group

Psychology or Classics?

So I've had my heart set on Classics for years and I've done all these extra-curricular things towards it and even submitted essay competitions to prepare myself for my application to university and also out of sheer enjoyment. However, I've recently noticed that I am really interested in my psychology A-level and can see it as a possible degree option. However, I'm nearing the end of lower sixth/year 12 and I haven't done any extra work towards this. I'm really not sure what to do because I have no idea which course I'd prefer or what I want to do after I leave university. Any help would be much appreciated.
Original post by Aeneas11
So I've had my heart set on Classics for years and I've done all these extra-curricular things towards it and even submitted essay competitions to prepare myself for my application to university and also out of sheer enjoyment. However, I've recently noticed that I am really interested in my psychology A-level and can see it as a possible degree option. However, I'm nearing the end of lower sixth/year 12 and I haven't done any extra work towards this. I'm really not sure what to do because I have no idea which course I'd prefer or what I want to do after I leave university. Any help would be much appreciated.

What do you like about classics and psychology?
What would you like to do in the future?
Reply 2
I don't know what I want to do in the future, that's the problem :frown: I like so many things about classics and psychology it would be hard to try and think of them all and write them down now
Original post by Aeneas11
I don't know what I want to do in the future, that's the problem :frown: I like so many things about classics and psychology it would be hard to try and think of them all and write them down now

Currently, what sort of thing do you feel you would enjoy? Clinical, office, traveling, money, 'humanitarian', etc.

Try the 'prospects planner' too, that helped me a bunch in confirming my ideas.
Reply 4
Out of those options travelling and humanitarian appeal to me a lot. However, career prospects wise I've always been interested in the film industry (I'm aware that both these degrees are basically unrelated but I was considering doing an acting MA after the BA). However, I've also considered going into human rights law. Also, in terms of possible psychology career options, I've liked the sound of military psychology but I am really not sure. So basically really different career prospects haha.
Would it be possible to do a combined degree? Some universities will combine Psych with a 'minor' subject.

Psychology really is good at opening up doors - I'm currently in recruitment but am going back to uni to study Occupational Therapy with my Psych degree, people in my class have gone into education, marketing, healthcare, law, social work, a guy I did my dissertation with is now a pilot! If you want a degree that could lead you anywhere with good grades, Psychology is one of the best ones for it.

Quick Reply

Latest