The Student Room Group

Barts and the London- 2016 Entry Applicants for Medicine

Hey guys, :biggrin:

I'm just starting this thread because I was wondering if anyone is considering applying to Barts and the London for the 2016 entry to medicine.

Although exams are nearing, I think it's a great time to start thinking about future plans- we only have a few months left! :colondollar:

It would be great talking to everyone; so please comment your stats, current AS subjects, work experience, volunteering, extra-curricular activities, UKCAT preparation and other universities you're planning to apply below. :smile:

I'd love to hear from everyone, and good luck with exams!

-Pavi

Scroll to see replies

I got an offer this year from Barts.

Just make sure u get a high ucas and ukcat tariff to get an interview. I would suggest don't apply with realistically less than 400 UCAS points and 650+ UKCAT. Most people you see at interview will do IB or do extra AS/A2s and have ukcat scores in the 700s.

At interview talk about how much effort you have put in in getting into medical school and stuff - try to be passionate or at least feign passion for medicine and people. Also they like to see how you can contribute to the university - I hint its a recurring theme in the admissions process (Probably some TSR Mod is going to ban me for this however that information can be extrapolated from the website).

I had an interview from barts in 2014 and got rejected, and an interview in 2015 and got offered.

Both interviews were completely different to each other - the 2014 interviewers were pretty fed up and not that friendly whereas the 2015 ones were lovely people. Maybe because I said 'I like Barts so much - that's why I applied the 2nd time).

My stats:
3A* achieved A2, 5A at AS, 10A* 1A GCSE + A in FSMQ. Pretty good PS (not that it matters that much for Barts).
UKCAT was 745.

It depends on the interviewer, you as a candidate, other people as competitors and luck at the end of the day.
Good luck :smile:
Original post by pavithra.singam
Hey guys, :biggrin:

I'm just starting this thread because I was wondering if anyone is considering applying to Barts and the London for the 2016 entry to medicine.

Although exams are nearing, I think it's a great time to start thinking about future plans- we only have a few months left! :colondollar:

It would be great talking to everyone; so please comment your stats, current AS subjects, work experience, volunteering, extra-curricular activities, UKCAT preparation and other universities you're planning to apply below. :smile:

I'd love to hear from everyone, and good luck with exams!

-Pavi

I have an offer for 2015 entry.
GCSE: 10A* 1A
AS:5A
A2:3A*1A (predicted)
Standard extracurricular and work experience.
Although, in general Barts want a very good UKCAT score (700+), i got interviewed in January with 660 so it's about coming across really passionately in your personal statement as well as good UKCAT and tariff scores. Just focus on getting 4As for now and research the application process in detail after your exams :smile:

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,
what subjects did you do at AS level and what was your UCAS tariff?

Original post by TechRaid3r
Although, in general Barts want a very good UKCAT score (700+), i got interviewed in January with 660 so it's about coming across really passionately in your personal statement as well as good UKCAT and tariff scores. Just focus on getting 4As for now and research the application process in detail after your exams :smile:

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is there a thread for graduate entry 2016? Also how do you calculate your UCAS tariff points?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
This thread is for both graduate and undergraduate entry. :biggrin:
This may help: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/getting-started/entry-requirements/tariff/tariff-tables
:smile:
Original post by pavithra.singam
This thread is for both graduate and undergraduate entry. :biggrin:
This may help: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/getting-started/entry-requirements/tariff/tariff-tables
:smile:

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Anyone knows if Barts is still using ucas tariff to shortlist candidates this year? Since my school is forcing us 7 A level :s-smilie: tariff will probably be most ideal, and I'd also want to ask do you guys know any other schools that uses tariff to shortlist?
Reply 8
Original post by axccl389
Anyone knows if Barts is still using ucas tariff to shortlist candidates this year? Since my school is forcing us 7 A level :s-smilie: tariff will probably be most ideal, and I'd also want to ask do you guys know any other schools that uses tariff to shortlist?

Barts is the only medical school that uses the UCAS tarrif.

See here for more information on how they use it: http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/A100/index.html#fourth
Reply 9
Original post by Clubba
Barts is the only medical school that uses the UCAS tarrif.

See here for more information on how they use it: http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/A100/index.html#fourth

Thank you that is helpful!:smile:
Feel like it is such a risk to apply here now with this new 50:50 weighting. A 2.1 in a science degree is going to what most people have! So no way of knowing if your ukcat is high enough!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by TechRaid3r

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you think its realistic for me to get interviewed with a ucas tariff of 600 and a ukcat of 645?
Reply 12
Is 615 UCAS tarif (4A* prediction + grade 7 w/ merit) and 835 UKCAT enough?
Of course that's good enough, with that UKCAT they'll definitely invite you for an interview without having to look at your tariff

How did you prepare for the UKCAT?
What resources did you use?
How long (weeks and hours each day) did you prepare?
How accurate did you find the UKCAT 3 mocks to the real thing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
How do I calculate my UCAS Tarrif?
Reply 15
Original post by RR97
How do I calculate my UCAS Tarrif?

An A* at A level is 140 points, an A 120 points, a B is 100 points and so on. This is in the basis of your predicted A level grades or achieved if you are a gap year applicant.
Reply 17
Original post by Hectors
An A* at A level is 140 points, an A 120 points, a B is 100 points and so on. This is in the basis of your predicted A level grades or achieved if you are a gap year applicant.

I've achieved A*AA at A2- that only comes to 380 but everyone seems to have scores significantly higher i.e in the 700s+
Does GCSE count?
Thanks for your help by the way!
Reply 18
Yh do Gcses have tariff points ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by RR97
I've achieved A*AA at A2- that only comes to 380 but everyone seems to have scores significantly higher i.e in the 700s+
Does GCSE count?
Thanks for your help by the way!

No but extra AS grades do count! Even stuff like grade 8 music certificates.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending