The Student Room Group

Showing two norms are not equivalent

I am struggling with part d of this question. So the uniform norm is just the supremum ( f(t) ). I tried going for the definition of equivalent norms which I can't seem to find constants to bound each of the norms.

My thought is since the vector space is complete with respect to the uniform norm I could go down the route of showing it is not complete with the a norm(defined in part b). So I would need to show that there's a cauchy sequence that doesn't converge in the space, I am unsure what counterexample I could think of if anybody could point me in a direction to start?

It would be helpful to understand what points I should be looking at and the thought process to constructing a counterexample for such a space

Oh, did not know we had solutions online.. Could not find them on the warwick website at all, thanks!
Original post by VincentCheung
I am struggling with part d of this question. So the uniform norm is just the supremum ( f(t) ). I tried going for the definition of equivalent norms which I can't seem to find constants to bound each of the norms.

My thought is since the vector space is complete with respect to the uniform norm I could go down the route of showing it is not complete with the a norm(defined in part b). So I would need to show that there's a cauchy sequence that doesn't converge in the space, I am unsure what counterexample I could think of if anybody could point me in a direction to start?

It would be helpful to understand what points I should be looking at and the thought process to constructing a counterexample for such a space

faf|f|_a \leq |f|_{\infty} always, since tf(t)f(t)|t f(t)| \leq |f(t)| in this range.

To show inequivalence, then, you need that no constant CC exists with CfafC |f|_a \geq |f|_{\infty} for all ff. Going more concrete, we want a sequence of functions fnf_n with fna1nfn|f_n|_a \geq \frac{1}{n} |f_n|_{\infty}. Can you make that happen?
I understand why we want that but I'm terrible at coming up with an example.. I think the first thing I should do is think of a function so that points fnf_n with fna|f_n|_a goes to 0 but fn|f_n|_{\infty} that doesn't, so I want to essentially fix a value for the uniform norm but let the first one tend to zero?

I have just got the solution so to think of another example would be quite easy but I'm more interested in the thought process in finding the function at this point
I understand why we want that but I'm terrible at coming up with an example.. I think the first thing I should do is think of a function so that points fnf_n with fna|f_n|_a goes to 0 but fn|f_n|_{\infty} that doesn't, so I want to essentially fix a value for the uniform norm but let the first one tend to zero?

Yep, that's one way to do it. What might a function look like if its a-norm is very small but its sup is high?
The solution said 1-tn for 0 <= t <= 1/n
and 0 otherwise, so I'm trying to look past that

would e^-n work? Since the uniform norm is 1 and the a norm is 0 at this same point
The solution said 1-tn for 0 <= t <= 1/n
and 0 otherwise, so I'm trying to look past that

would e^-n work? Since the uniform norm is 1 and the a norm is 0 at this same point

The function fn(x)=enf_n(x) = e^{-n} is constant - is that really what you meant?
Sorry,

e^-nx is what I meant, I think this works?
Sorry,

e^-nx is what I meant, I think this works?

Yep, that works. You just need any function which starts off nonzero but then shrinks to zero very rapidly.
Ahh perfect, I have a slightly better idea now. Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest