The Student Room Group

Postgrad Speech & Language Therapy 2016 Entry (PG Dip/MSc)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KatieC18
Congratulations! I have mine on Wednesday and quite nervous. How was the service user station?

The service user station is just one question and you're in there for about 3 minutes! I worried something much about it and in the end it was nothing to worry about!
has anyone heard back from City? #cantwaitanylonger
Original post by becomingbindy
The service user station is just one question and you're in there for about 3 minutes! I worried something much about it and in the end it was nothing to worry about!

Congratulations on your offer!! I have an interview at UCL on 20th! Really nervous already, so I'm going to be cheeky and ask you lots of questions!

What was the structure of the interview? What sorts of questions did they ask? How long were you in there?

The service user station, did a service user ask you the question?

I also agree that the smarter the better!

Thanks
Original post by smileyx123x
Hey! so I found out that we hear back on the 15th Jan apparently :smile: then we know if we have an interview or not
Hope this helps with the nerves a little bit!

I was wondering when or if I would hear back from then! But will hold on until the 15th!

Thank you

Best of luck!
Original post by BeccaF123
Congratulations on your offer!! I have an interview at UCL on 20th! Really nervous already, so I'm going to be cheeky and ask you lots of questions!

What was the structure of the interview? What sorts of questions did they ask? How long were you in there?

The service user station, did a service user ask you the question?

I also agree that the smarter the better!

Thanks

Yeah the service user asked the question, with someone from the University staff present as well. It was really straightforward and I honestly wouldn't worry about that aspect of it at all!

The main interview lasted about 25 minutes for me, with around half of the interview focused on the video that we watched earlier in the morning. The questions were really just focused around your understanding of SLT and the needs of different clients. If you have solid experience of SLT to back up your application then you should be fine!

Don't really want to go much more specific than that as I don't want to break any rules or anything! But there were no trick questions at all, it was a fairly easy interview... Best of luck!
Yeah the service user asked the question, with someone from the University staff present as well. It was really straightforward and I honestly wouldn't worry about that aspect of it at all!

The main interview lasted about 25 minutes for me, with around half of the interview focused on the video that we watched earlier in the morning. The questions were really just focused around your understanding of SLT and the needs of different clients. If you have solid experience of SLT to back up your application then you should be fine!

Don't really want to go much more specific than that as I don't want to break any rules or anything! But there were no trick questions at all, it was a fairly easy interview... Best of luck!

Okay perfect!

So the introductory session includes a video I'm assuming in a clinical setting which we will be asked about?

That doesn't sound too bad! What is your personal experience of SLT?

No worries, that's great thank you!!
Okay perfect!

So the introductory session includes a video I'm assuming in a clinical setting which we will be asked about?

That doesn't sound too bad! What is your personal experience of SLT?

No worries, that's great thank you!!

My most recent experiences are that I have been shadowing SLTs weekly for 2 1/2 years and have been carrying out SLT interventions under their direction most afternoons during this time. I have little experience with adults though, and I was worried about that. However when speaking to other people at the interview most people I spoke to hadn't either.
My most recent experiences are that I have been shadowing SLTs weekly for 2 1/2 years and have been carrying out SLT interventions under their direction most afternoons during this time. I have little experience with adults though, and I was worried about that. However when speaking to other people at the interview most people I spoke to hadn't either.

That's great experience no wonder they offered it straight away and you didn't find the interview too hard!
Thanks for your help!
Hope to meet you on the course! Haha
That's great experience no wonder they offered it straight away and you didn't find the interview too hard!
Thanks for your help!
Hope to meet you on the course! Haha

Good luck! Let me know how it goes!
Reply 89
Original post by AnnaIann
Hello everyone :smile: I found this forum so useful with so many interesting advices! I applied for City as well and I'll soon apply for Essex, since my current degree is in a completely different area and not all Universities have accepted my degree.

Does anyone know about others Postgraduate Msc taught course in Speech and Language Therapy founded by the NHS? I was thinking about Manchester and Greenwich University, UCL application has already expired :/

I have some questions about selections if you could possibly help me to clarify them. Is it that hard to be selected if you have a degree in a different field? How much experience it's generally needed?Last but not least, how many places are generally assign to EU students? I'm asking this since I'm from EU and I have no idea about how many chances there are for European students.

Thank you so much guys and good luck to everyone who's applied for 2016 or 2017 entry :smile:

2 girls on my course at the moment have unrelated degrees (History/Politics and Sociology) - if that makes you feel any better!
In terms of experience, quantity doesn't matter as much as quality of the learning you gained from it.
Sorry I can't say about EU students as there aren't any on my course but if it's funded by the NHS then I don't think it makes any difference. Though it is worth noting that courses starting in 2017 will no longer be funded by the NHS
did anyone else get an interview for City?! Am now feeling the nerves haha
Has anyone got any tips or know what kind of structure the interview questions are like?
:smile:
Original post by smileyx123x
did anyone else get an interview for City?! Am now feeling the nerves haha
Has anyone got any tips or know what kind of structure the interview questions are like?
:smile:

I got the email earlier too! Sounds like a weird interview structure - lots of little interviews with staff and service users...
Reply 92
I got an email yesterday too, it sounds pretty full on and I have no idea what to expect!
Reply 93
Original post by eve1293
2 girls on my course at the moment have unrelated degrees (History/Politics and Sociology) - if that makes you feel any better!
In terms of experience, quantity doesn't matter as much as quality of the learning you gained from it.
Sorry I can't say about EU students as there aren't any on my course but if it's funded by the NHS then I don't think it makes any difference. Though it is worth noting that courses starting in 2017 will no longer be funded by the NHS

Thank you very much for your reply, it's very encouraging now that! :smile:
I have applied for some Bachelor's Degrees in SLT as well. So all the courses starting in 2017 will no longer be founded by NHS, what a pity :/ I'm worried because since I'm EU I have no idea of how many possibilities I might have, I guess it's very difficult to get in. By the way are you attending a Msc? May I ask you in which University? :smile:
Reply 94
Hi everyone

Had a quick skim of the messages. I've been accepted on the UCL Msc course. Anyone else? Now just waiting for the official offer, feel anxious until it arrives!

Good luck to everyone still interviewing! :smile:
Reply 95
Hello everyone :smile: I found this forum so useful with so many interesting advices! I applied for City as well and I'll soon apply for Essex, since my current degree is in a completely different area and not all Universities have accepted my degree.

Does anyone know about others Postgraduate Msc taught course in Speech and Language Therapy founded by the NHS? I was thinking about Manchester and Greenwich University, UCL application has already expired :/

I have some questions about selections if you could possibly help me to clarify them. Is it that hard to be selected if you have a degree in a different field? How much experience it's generally needed?
Last but not least, how many places are generally assign to EU students? I'm asking this since I'm from EU and I have no idea about how many chances there are for European students.

Thank you so much guys and good luck to everyone who's applied for 2016 or 2017 entry :smile:
Reply 96
Congratulations everyone. I have an interview for UCL on the 20th. It's crazy that they have already offered people places before interviewing some candidates! Eeek! You must have made a good impression!
Reply 97
Good luck to everyone interviewing at the moment and congrats on all the offers.

I just wondered if anyone has had an offer from Reading? I have an offer but am waiting to hear back from UCL and have City interview in February.

Oh the horrors of the waiting game eh!!
Reply 98
I am on the waiting list for Reading still waiting to hear back from UCL I thought we wouldn't hear until mid to end Feb but if some people have already heard could be at any time! I am also waiting to hear back from Sheffield. And also have an interview for City in Feb!

Does any one else have an interview for Newcastle on Monday!? Getting quite nervous seems to be quite a lot of elements to their interview process!
Reply 99
Just got an offer from Sheffield today after I wrote in the group! Cannot believe it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending