The Student Room Group

If abortion isn't murder..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Maybe because only the woman has the right to decide whether the foetus inside her lives or not?

Why ? The fetus is not hers it is Nature's property .
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by demx9
Why ? The fetus is not her's it is Nature's property .

It is hers, "natures" jahahhahava

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by demx9
.. then why is it considered double homicide to kill a pregnant woman?

Is it? Prove it.
Maybe because only the woman has the right to decide whether the foetus inside her lives or not?

No this is not moral the woman has already chose to have a baby in most cases just by having sex and often by also not using contraception.Also, if an abortion is to happen a man must have equal rights to a woman and the abortion should have to have the agreement of both the man and the woman otherwise it doesn't go ahead(with nature getting the deciding vote).

The 9 months the fetus is in the womb is small compared the amount of years the human will live whilst the man and the woman live and care for it if either leaves then they have to pay child support so it will affect both for the rest of their lives so the 9 months becomes negligible.
Reply 24
Original post by swagyolo420
It is hers, "natures" jahahhahava

Posted from TSR Mobile

go swag more, yolo
Reply 25
Original post by Dalek1099
No this is not moral the woman has already chose to have a baby in most cases just by having sex and often by also not using contraception.Also, if an abortion is to happen a man must have equal rights to a woman and the abortion should have to have the agreement of both the man and the woman otherwise it doesn't go ahead(with nature getting the deciding vote).

The 9 months the fetus is in the womb is small compared the amount of years the human will live whilst the man and the woman live and care for it if either leaves then they have to pay child support so it will affect both for the rest of their lives so the 9 months becomes negligible.

nice red, commie
Original post by demx9
go swag more, yolo

U dummy u

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
The idea is that life(sub-human life) starts at conception and that what I would regard as a human/person starts around maybe 3 or 4 so life goes from low animal equivalent-fully human.I don't really think this is necessary though I never agreed with the idea that when life begins is crucial when deciding on whether abortion is right or wrong, its much more to do with the potential and the fact that it is very likely that the fetus will become a human like you or me and if you kill it then then you have obviously killed it in the future so you have killed a human being-if a woman almost decides to abort a child but doesn't due to their lover and then they get murdered at 18 the murderer could say "If your mother had had her way then you would already be dead and you wouldn't have lived these 18 years) so its clear to me that abortion is a lot worse than the average murder abortion is the worst crime you can commit(apart from multiples of crimes).

If the argument is potential then what's the difference between a foetus and sperm in that context? Millions of sperm collectively have a high potential to create human beings, potentially more than a single foetus, especially if used in IVF.

An 18 year old person is different from an early foetus. The latter has not even developed a consciousness (that would be my definition of 'life starting'). That doesn't happen until at least 20 weeks.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 28
If abortion is murder, then we are assuming the foetus is alive, so I wonder:

Is having sex with a pregnant woman considered a threesome?
Is it considered paedophillia, considering they would be a minor?
If the child is yours, is it also incest?
Original post by Exon
If the argument is potential then what's the difference between a foetus and sperm in that context? Millions of sperm collectively have a high potential to create human beings, potentially more than a single foetus, especially if used in IVF.

An 18 year old person is different from an early foetus. The latter has not even developed a conscience (that would be my definition of 'life starting'). That doesn't happen until at least 20 weeks.

The potential of the millions of sperm is very low as it is unlikely even one of them will make a baby, as shown by the fact that masturbation doesn't have effect pregnancy.

What about people who seem not to have a conscience?
Original post by Exon

An 18 year old person is different from an early foetus. The latter has not even developed a conscience (that would be my definition of 'life starting'). That doesn't happen until at least 20 weeks.

Brings new meaning to investment bankers having no life.
Original post by Exon
Pick one.

I don't think he has to. When it begins, the life isn't necessarily human yet.
I knew this would be the follow-up just from reading the thread title - I've heard this before
what you don't understand is that most people wouldn't, at all, think that a law of double homicide would make any sense today when abortion doesn't have a legal interpretation (or a moral/scientific one) of murder
Reply 33
Original post by TurboCretin
Brings new meaning to investment bankers having no life.

PRSOM

Original post by anosmianAcrimony
I don't think he has to. When it begins, the life isn't necessarily human yet.

If it's alive and not human, what is it? An alien? A different species?

The potential of the millions of sperm is very low as it is unlikely even one of them will make a baby, as shown by the fact that masturbation doesn't have effect pregnancy.

What about people who seem not to have a conscience?

In theory, you could impregnate millions of women with one ejaculate by injecting sperm cells into egg cells but instead you chose to have a bash. By your logic, you just killed millions of potential babies.

You mean brain-dead people? You do realise they're considered legally dead right?
Original post by Exon

It has a similar status to the ovum and spermatozoon that combined to make it - certainly alive, but not human beings in their own right. "Human" in this context has multiple meanings.
Original post by Exon
PRSOM

In theory, you could impregnate millions of women with one ejaculate by injecting sperm cells into egg cells but instead you chose to have a bash. By your logic, you just killed millions of potential babies.

You mean brain-dead people? You do realise they're considered legally dead right?

The sperm would die anyway even if you don't masturbate:confused:Not everyone has a conscience(some of the worst criminals are described as having no conscience).
(edited 8 years ago)

I agree that a woman knowingly having unprotected sex whilst not wanting children at that time is rather stupid. However, sometimes contraception fails, sometimes rape happens, sometimes a myriad of other circumstances where abortion is the option that would cause the least harm.

Original post by demx9
Why ? The fetus is not hers it is Nature's property .

What I meant was, it should be a woman's choice whether she wants to abort her own child or give birth to it. Nobody else has the right to decide to end the life of the woman nor her child.

And by your logic, nature owns diseases and hair too, right? Yet people still get rid of them.
I agree that a woman knowingly having unprotected sex whilst not wanting children at that time is rather stupid. However, sometimes contraception fails, sometimes rape happens, sometimes a myriad of other circumstances where abortion is the option that would cause the least harm.

What I meant was, it should be a woman's choice whether she wants to abort her own child or give birth to it. Nobody else has the right to decide to end the life of the woman nor her child.

And by your logic, nature owns diseases and hair too, right? Yet people still get rid of them.

I think there can be exceptions where we can allow abortion if the woman was raped or the woman's life is in danger but otherwise no as far as I am concerned as a Pro-life supporter they have already made their choice and the fetus hasn't had a chance to decide whether to live or die.
Original post by Exon
If abortion is murder, ejaculation is genocide and swallowing is cannibalism.

Well not really, especially when we consider the fact that abortion itself covers the ending of life (whether that's the life of a person is up for debate) at a wide range of stages of development.
Original post by Exon
Pick one.

There was absolutely nothing inconsistent in what the person you quoted said.

It isn't really up for debate whether a foetus is alive, it most certainly is alive. But the question is over the value of that life (i.e. personhood). Bacteria are alive, but none of us would think there's anything morally wrong in using antibacterial hand wash.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending