The Student Room Group

Is bronze D of E really worth it?

I've started bronze dofe but I have plans when the expedition is. If I don't go on this expedition I can't do dofe. I've don't the volunteering so I can put that on as experience when I get a job. Is it really worth doing? Baring in mind I don't really do any other extracurricular activities and I am only doing it for UCAS points.
Original post by Pollyshaffer
I've started bronze dofe but I have plans when the expedition is. If I don't go on this expedition I can't do dofe. I've don't the volunteering so I can put that on as experience when I get a job. Is it really worth doing? Baring in mind I don't really do any other extracurricular activities and I am only doing it for UCAS points.

Looooool no point doing DofE for UCAS points. Some people find it enjoyable and do it. I did it to silver, it was alright on the last few expeditions but dreadful at other times. So if it's for UCAS points don't bother, they only give like 50 or something and just isn't worth the time, you're better off studying for your exams and getting the best grades possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't do it for jobs or UCAS points, nobody cares in the real world.
Do you think you would enjoy the expeditions? If you have already done the volunteering then you should give the other bits a go. I think its a great thing for your CV as it shows your were proactive and gained new skills etc, so I'd say do it if you can! I did it and whilst it involved a bit of work and organisation, it looked good on my CV and gives you something to talk about in interviews if you don't have lots of work experience :smile:

D of E is a really worthwhile thing to do. It allows you to show commitment over a period of time, and if you've already done some of it you may as well do the rest, right?

Have you considered doing an open expedition? It'll mean you have greater flexibility over dates and you can choose times when you're available. Plus you'll get to meet and work with people you haven't met before, which is a pretty invaluable experience in my opinion. :smile:
D of E is a great thing to have on your CV, and good to discuss on your UCAS application IF you make it relevant to the course you're applying to, and the requirements of said course. Even if you weren't applying to university I've used examples of things that happened during the process of achieveing Bronze & Silver awards during job applications and interviews. It's hard, but it's worth it to stop you going "uhhhh, I dunno..." at an interview...
Reply 6
Nah, I've written it on my CVs, personal statements, etc. but no one ever asks me about it at interview. Since so many people do D of E these days it's no longer 'stand out material'.
I am only doing it for UCAS points.

Unfortunately there aren't any.
Wait, since when did DoE give UCAS points? :eek:
I did it but didn't mention it in my personal statement.

I don't think it gives UCAS points?
DofE is for geeks lol :mmm:

It even sounds silly
Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I did my D of E bronze and loved it, and I regret not doing silver! However it doesn't (and neither does gold) count as ucas points but I would seriously recommend it. I am hoping to do gold at college...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending