The Student Room Group

International summer placement at Korea Aerospace Uni ...

So I tried for this, thinking I probably wouldn't get it, but the application form didn't even ask for any sort of grades or whatever? But today I got an acceptance email, and they attached a list of things I needed to pay for, which is as follows:

Two Courses, and Field Training = 1,050,000 krw = £644.37
University Residence Hall, 'Quad' bed (single?) - 500,000 krw = £306.77
Meal plan - 25 meals = 100,000 krw = £61.35
Mandatory Admission Fee = 50,000 krw = £30.68
Optional Cultural Activity = 90,000 krw = £55.22
Pick up from the airport on arrival = 70,000 krw = £42.95
Early bird application = -100,000 krw = -£61.35

Total: 1,760,000 KRW = £1079.83

With flights, which I have found for £465, the total for one month stay (without spending money) is £1540.83

Having never ever travelled before on my own, and most certainly not to somewhere as far away from the UK as Korea, can anyone tell me if they think this is a good price, and if it's worth it?
I would absolutely love to travel, and go see some of the world... I've just had my student loan in of over £2400, and my rent of about £400 will go out in a few days. I'm very unsure what to do. Advice from some seasoned international studiers would be so handy!
I can't tell you much about studying in Korea or how beneficial the course will be to you, but as someone who has visited Korea, I can say it's a brilliant place and you'll have a lot of fun there. If you can afford it, you should go for it! The things you regret are the things you don't do.
Reply 2
Original post by lauramercier
I can't tell you much about studying in Korea or how beneficial the course will be to you, but as someone who has visited Korea, I can say it's a brilliant place and you'll have a lot of fun there. If you can afford it, you should go for it! The things you regret are the things you don't do.

I totally agree!

I'm really trying to consider it seriously. Can I ask you a couple things, having been to Korea?

Is it safe? My mum keeps asking me hahah. Also, how much spending money would you think is right to take for 4 weeks? Taking into consideration I don't need to eat out every day as I have 25 meals paid for with the uni?
Original post by sticky0wl
I totally agree!

I'm really trying to consider it seriously. Can I ask you a couple things, having been to Korea?

Is it safe? My mum keeps asking me hahah. Also, how much spending money would you think is right to take for 4 weeks? Taking into consideration I don't need to eat out every day as I have 25 meals paid for with the uni?

Yeah I felt really safe there and I was in Seoul too where it should typically be the most "unsafe" because it's the capital city and the most populated but I felt fine there so I'm sure other places will be the same. The people were really friendly :smile: Well I guess that's pretty subjective depending on the person, I was only there for 4 days and spent quite a lot but there was so much shopping in Seoul and I couldn't resist haha. But if you were just spending to get by then, I would say probably £500 but I'd probably be more likely to take £800-1000 so I could ensure that I could go out with people (because there is a huge scene for it in Seoul) and eat out and buy a few souvenirs and visit touristy places. But if you won't be in Seoul, which I'm presuming you're not, then you probably won't need as much. And like I said, it depends on the person. In Seoul, you could get a good meal for 8000SKW which was £5. Other than that, you could eat in your dorm more if you wanted. It totally depends on what you'd wanna do :smile: Public transport in Korea is cheap too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending