The Student Room Group

Is it still a thing to be attracted to 'nerds'?

Maybe I'm getting older and out of touch, but being in my early 20s around the big bang theory explosion and superhero movie popularity spike I noticed the 'cool thing' was to date nerdy types, however I get the impression that when girls said they like nerds they meant this:

and not this

and the expectation for girl nerds is something like this

But not something a little less glamorous like this

What is with the unrealistic expectations or is it just a fashion thing thats over now?
I didn't know it was even a thing?
Your impression is right. Hipster with glasses is dateable, real socially awkward nerds are not.
Reply 3
To be romantically or sexually interested in someone, there has to be a level of attraction. To me, looks are no where near as important as personality! Yes, you can look like Joseph Gordon-Levitt but if you are really arrogant/cocky/selfish etc then it just won't work. A guy, and a girl for that matter, needs good hygiene - that means clean teeth and hair, good breath, smells nice, and so on. But as I said, there must be a level of attraction, and it's impossible for everyone to find you attractive, but not possible for everyone to find you unattractive.
As for the 'dating a nerd' fashion, I think it's hard to say.
A lot of people claim to 'love nerds', by which they mean if they see someone ordinary they find attractive holding an xbox controller or wearing glasses. But nerd lovers do exist, the genuine kind. It's all about interests rather than the look. For example, girls who love star wars (stereotype, I know) will immediately have that in common with 'nerdy' boys who also like star wars. The same with other 'nerdy' interests such as science, gaming, etc. The same as how a sporty girl might be into a sporty guy, and vice versa - they have common ground, which means they can bond more through dates and interesting conversation.
Sorry if this was useless, I agree with you that it is a fashion and glamourised. But there are genuine girls who will see past or embrace the social awkwardness and date nerds!
I don't think because someone is holding a PlayStation controller it makes them a nerd...? Your examples seem to be polar opposites - you're more likely to see someone who looks in-between this convention. Pretty much agree with what the above poster said :smile: xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending