The Student Room Group

The Students vs City Traders Programme

Hi,

There is a programme being offered by InvestIn at UCL this year where you spend a day in London learning the ins and outs of trading on the financial markets. Has anyone been on this before? Or, does anyone know whether this day would be worth the £165 price tag?

Here is the link to the website.
http://investineducation.co.uk/index.php/traders

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Callum-G
Hi,

There is a programme being offered by InvestIn at UCL this year where you spend a day in London learning the ins and outs of trading on the financial markets. Has anyone been on this before? Or, does anyone know whether this day would be worth the £165 price tag?

Here is the link to the website.
http://investineducation.co.uk/index.php/traders

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you hope to get out of it?

Events held by banks etc are more beneficial and better value imo. Anything else can be found through a couple of searches on Google/YouTube if you're keen enough.
Reply 2
Original post by elle77
What do you hope to get out of it?

Events held by banks etc are more beneficial and better value imo. Anything else can be found through a couple of searches on Google/YouTube if you're keen enough.

Hi, I suppose what I'm looking to get out of it is experience of that area of work in The City, as well as some networkig opportunities and something to put on my CV.

I haven't heard much of these events put on by banks. Have you been to any? Are there any you'd recommend?
Reply 3
I would be interested too.
Reply 4
Hi, I suppose what I'm looking to get out of it is experience of that area of work in The City, as well as some networkig opportunities and something to put on my CV.

I haven't heard much of these events put on by banks. Have you been to any? Are there any you'd recommend?

If you want to build your network with professionals, from my experience at one of their events, it's highly unlikely as the speakers tend to direct you to their Linkedin (at best) or ask you to email InvestIN. Yes, it demonstrates an interest, but you're essentially paying ~£200 for something you can learn yourself within a few hours. If you're finding it difficult to put something relevant on your CV, then by all means go, just be aware of what to expect. :smile:

The events you can attend depend on whether you're at university or not. I'm not at university yet, so I've only attended insight days and so I can only comment on those.

Are you at university? If not, there are a few more events at BB's that you can still apply to attend this summer.
Reply 5
Original post by elle77

Are you at university? If not, there are a few more events at BB's that you can still apply to attend this summer.

Thanks a lot for your reply! I'm in Year 12, would you mind pointing me in the direction of these other things I could apply to for this summer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks a lot for your reply! I'm in Year 12, would you mind pointing me in the direction of these other things I could apply to for this summer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.studentladder.co.uk/work/banking.html
Reply 7
You 12? So isn'it it a programme for students at university? What's the range to whom is dedicated?
I would be interested in this too, I also am in year 12 but Trade on Pseudo platforms for FOREX and Stocks and am over $600,000 in profit since September last year (Real time data). If you have this on your CV you'd be miles ahead of others, IBs will look at this as gold when you apply for jobs/Internships.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by VonDutchyy
I would be interested in this too, I also am in year 12 but Trade on Pseudo platforms for FOREX and Stocks and am over $600,000 in profit since September last year (Real time data). If you have this on your CV you'd be miles ahead of others, IBs will look at this as gold when you apply for jobs/Internships.

what did you start with?

it won't nescessarily be viewed as gold tbf, given it's a dummy platform :K: it will show motivation which is about it.

What platforms do you use and when did you start?
Original post by gr8wizard10
what did you start with?

it won't nescessarily be viewed as gold tbf, given it's a dummy platform :K: it will show motivation which is about it.

Started with ~10K and yeah I agree in that there isn't any emotional factors affecting me from buying or selling so I'll taker bigger risks.
Original post by Bushido Brown
What platforms do you use and when did you start?

I mainly trade FOREX on Trading212, I started when I was about 14 or so after watching a documentary on the Financial Crisis. Got work experience with JP Morgan this Summer and my Uncle works at a Hedge Fund so I was able to get more work experience at the LSE Trading floor and at another Hedge fund trading room.
Started with ~10K and yeah I agree in that there isn't any emotional factors affecting me from buying or selling so I'll taker bigger risks.

~600% profit in under a year?
Original post by gr8wizard10
~600% profit in under a year?

Yep, I took some really big risks i.e. I'd focus on the fluctuations day to day with $HEMP and $VPER, So I basically day traded them.
Yep, I took some really big risks i.e. I'd focus on the fluctuations day to day with $HEMP and $VPER, So I basically day traded them.

I'd even leverage up to 70% of my net funds.
I'd even leverage up to 70% of my net funds.

Dat virtual performance is mind bogglin' son.

Inb4 I work @ your hedge fund

Lrn2riskmanagement, but if you can cope with that risk then good on you! :smile:
I mainly trade FOREX on Trading212, I started when I was about 14 or so after watching a documentary on the Financial Crisis. Got work experience with JP Morgan this Summer and my Uncle works at a Hedge Fund so I was able to get more work experience at the LSE Trading floor and at another Hedge fund trading room.

Strategy?
Reply 18
Hi All,

I will be graduating in 2016 and already looking for positions for next year in Investment Banking. The competition is very fierce though. I already have a summer internship from Deloitte but I have been told it is not enough.
Currently I am taking this algo trading course from London Institute of Trading. Didn`t really know what to expect in the beginning; mainly enrolled there for extra points on my CV. But so far the course is very good and I am actually learning how to develop my own trading strategy. Really good teachers as well. I highly recommend it especially if you want to learn more than what a normal trading course will offer you.
Also do any of you know what other work experiences you need for those top graduate schemes?

Thank you
Original post by flaaflaa
Hi All,

I will be graduating in 2016 and already looking for positions for next year in Investment Banking. The competition is very fierce though. I already have a summer internship from Deloitte but I have been told it is not enough.
Currently I am taking this algo trading course from London Institute of Trading. Didn`t really know what to expect in the beginning; mainly enrolled there for extra points on my CV. But so far the course is very good and I am actually learning how to develop my own trading strategy. Really good teachers as well. I highly recommend it especially if you want to learn more than what a normal trading course will offer you.
Also do any of you know what other work experiences you need for those top graduate schemes?

Thank you

Truth is you don't need to spend money on a course to learn how to trade professionally.

Loads of free resources on the net and cheap books you can buy that teach you everything you need.

It will take long for me to explain everything on here. Anyone interested to learn more feel free to PM.

Just needed to get that across. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending