The Student Room Group

Ricky Gervais's brilliant attack on sick trophy hunters

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/ricky-gervais-blasts-trophy-hunters-trying-to-excuse-grim-sport-by-saying-they-provide-a-service-10195455.html

Ricky Gervais has condemned trophy hunters for “exploiting the needs of the poor” following a protracted debate over hunting sparked by the controversial activities of female huntress Rebecca Francis.

Francis had accused Gervais of targeting her specifically because she was female after the comedian posted a picture of her lying next to the corpse of a giraffe she had just killed with the caption: “What must've happened to you in your life to make you want to kill a beautiful animal and then lie next to it smiling?”

The mother-of-eight from the US insisted hunters contribute “the most” to the welfare of wildlife by helping create a natural balance.

Gervais later denied her claims of sexism, insisting in a tweet: “men and women that do it [trophy hunt] are equally vile and worthless".

He has continued the debate over hunting on his social media accounts, where he today said he was “sick” of Trophy Hunters “trying to excuse their grim sport by saying they provide a service”.

...“If they were providing a service they would be the ones being paid. Imagine a vet paying you to put down your dog and then taking a selfie next to the corpse. And as for “the money goes to saving their remaining animals”, oh dear. Where will it end? Can you pay more to kill the leopard with a hammer if that’s your perversion? They’re already killing with bows and arrows for f***s sake.

"And would we allow some billionaire sicko to shoot one cancer patient if he gave a million dollars to cancer research? No. Of course we f*****g wouldn’t. If they really wanted to do a good deed they would donate the money, and not shoot the animal. They would be heroes then. As opposed to murdering scum."

:congrats:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
People who kill animals for fun or for monetary purposes in terms of fashion are absolute scum and deserve to be put in prison. There are only three cases whereby I think it's okay to kill an animal. One, for food as we've evolved to eat meat. Two, to put it out of its misery if its seriously suffering. Three, if its gone crazy and is a danger to others.
Reply 3
Original post by Europhile
People who kill animals for fun or for monetary purposes in terms of fashion are absolute scum and deserve to be put in prison. There are only three cases whereby I think it's okay to kill an animal. One, for food as we've evolved to eat meat. Two, to put it out of its misery if its seriously suffering. Three, if its gone crazy and is a danger to others.

Why is killing for food any better than killing for fun? We don't need meat as most people can live perfectly healthily without it, so ultimately if you eat meat you are doing it because you enjoy the taste. In either case an animal has died for your enjoyment, people only find hunting more distasteful because they think that cows are "supposed" to be eaten.
Such deeply disingenuous arguments from the hunters.
Reply 5

Original post by lucaf
Why is killing for food any better than killing for fun? We don't need meat as most people can live perfectly healthily without it

This is complete nonsense. The human body has biologically evolved to consume meat. I eat chicken because I need the high amounts of protein. The only alternative to acquire that amount of protein is to use an artificial man made substitute. No thanks, I want natural food in my body as nature intended. Unfortunately, the killing of and consumption of animals by humans and other animals in the animal kingdom is an evil we must endure. That's just the way it is and anyone who has GCSE Science accepts that. Good luck getting sufficient Vitamin B12 and Iodine without meat or artificial supplementation.
Reply 7
This is complete nonsense. The human body has biologically evolved to consume meat. I eat chicken because I need the high amounts of protein. The only alternative to acquire that amount of protein is to use an artificial man made substitute. No thanks, I want natural food in my body as nature intended. Unfortunately, the killing of and consumption of animals by humans and other animals in the animal kingdom is an evil we must endure. That's just the way it is and anyone who has GCSE Science accepts that. Good luck getting sufficient Vitamin B12 and Iodine without meat or artificial supplementation.

For a start, I am not a vegetarian I am just saying your attitude is hypocritical.

And despite your insistence, no most humans do not require meat. Hundreds of millions of Indians maintain a vegetarian diet, and I highly doubt they are all living off of protein supplements and vitamin tablets. It is perfectly possible (for most people anyway) to live healthily on a vegetarian diet.

Even if it wasn't and supplements were necessary, killing animals because you would rather not eat artificial supplements is not exactly morally better than because you like the taste. In the end you can easily get away with not eating meat, and so if you do so it is either out of laziness or enjoyment. That is no better than hunting.
Original post by lucaf
x

Name me a natural food that provides the amount of Vitamin B12 and Iodine that each human requires daily. Go on, I and many others await your response. As someone who lifts weights regularly I know for a fact you're chatting complete rubbish. Even vegetarian bodybuilders use supplements and man made meat substitutes to ensure they get the required nutrients and minerals.

Oh, and please don't bring India into this. You're trying to use a country where child malnutrition is extremely high to justify a good diet. Give us a break.

The World Bank estimates that India is one of the highest ranking countries in the world for the number of children suffering from malnutrition.

The UN estimates that 2.1 million Indian children die before reaching the age of 5 every year

Having sex with people who have HIV and hepatitis can be done as well but it doesn't mean it should be done. You clearly haven't got a clue about nutrition and you're spreading misinformation that could potentially sway others into thinking the completely wrong thing.

1. Why, through evolution, have we developed to eat meats and benefit from animal based foods?
2. Why can't humans digest cellulose, the main fibre in plants?
3. Again, where do people on a vegetarian diet get Vitamin B12 from?

Vitamin B12 is particularly important because it can not be gotten in ANY amount from plants. Studies show that out of vegans who don’t supplement with B12, 92%are deficient in this critical nutrient (6).

:rolleyes:

4. Why are vegetarians usually deficient in creatine?

Go on genius, please enlighten us all.
I really don't see the problem, they aren't even endangered.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Name me a natural food that provides the amount of Vitamin B12 and Iodine that each human requires daily. Go on, I and many others await your response. As someone who lifts weights regularly I know for a fact you're chatting complete rubbish. Even vegetarian bodybuilders use supplements and man made meat substitutes to ensure they get the required nutrients and minerals.

Oh, and please don't bring India into this. You're trying to use a country where child malnutrition is extremely high to justify a good diet. Give us a break.

Having sex with people who have HIV and hepatitis can be done as well but it doesn't mean it should be done. You clearly haven't got a clue about nutrition and you're spreading misinformation that could potentially sway others into thinking the completely wrong thing.

1. Why, through evolution, have we developed to eat meats and benefit from animal based foods?
2. Why can't humans digest cellulose, the main fibre in plants?
3. Again, where do people on a vegetarian diet get Vitamin B12 from?

:rolleyes:

4. Why are vegetarians usually deficient in creatine?

Go on genius, please enlighten us all.

For a start body builders hardly have typical nutrient requirements, so thats pretty irrelevant. B12 and iodine can be obtained from other animal products, although vegans would struggle without supplementation.

And you ignored my second point completely: you have easy access to supplements, so you can't argue that you need meat. How is killing animals because you don't fancy supplements any better than killing an animal for sport?
Original post by lucaf
For a start body builders hardly have typical nutrient requirements, so thats pretty irrelevant. B12 and iodine can be obtained from other animal products, although vegans would struggle without supplementation.

So, you want people to have deficiencies because they cant get Vitamin B12 from animal sources. Great. Why should people take supplements? Still, its a fact that loads of vegetarians suffer from a deficiency and there's a risk of anaemia if you have Vitamin B12 deficiency. No thanks, rather do what is entirely natural and eat meat as we're supposed to do.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/anemia/anemia-risk-for-vegans-and-vegetarians.aspx

And you ignored my second point completely: you have easy access to supplements, so you can't argue that you need meat. How is killing animals because you don't fancy supplements any better than killing an animal for sport?

Why should people take man made supplements when they can do the entirely natural thing and eat animal based foods? If you want to fill your body with even more man made substitutes then be my guest. Why kill fish? Why not just take omega 3 oil supplements? There are plenty of vegetarians who eat fish. Don't see them complaining then do you? Only like to kick up a fuss when it suits. Hypocrites.
Reply 12
So, you want people to have deficiencies because they cant get Vitamin B12 from animal sources. Great. Why should people take supplements? Still, its a fact that loads of vegetarians suffer from a deficiency and there's a risk of anaemia if you have Vitamin B12 deficiency. No thanks, rather do what is entirely natural and eat meat as we're supposed to do.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/anemia/anemia-risk-for-vegans-and-vegetarians.aspx

Why should people take man made supplements when they can do the entirely natural thing and eat animal based foods? If you want to fill your body with even more man made substitutes then be my guest. Why kill fish? Why not just take omega 3 oil supplements? There are plenty of vegetarians who eat fish. Don't see them complaining then do you? Only like to kick up a fuss when it suits. Hypocrites.

It is true that the western world does consume too much meat though, both in the sense of individual health and the wider environment

And btw, if you eat fish you are not vegetarian

Four, for pest control. Whether it's damage to economic activities (like agriculture or forestry) or a conservation issue (e.g. invasive species) or something else.
Reply 14

If you actually thought animal life had intrinsic moral value you would choose supplements over meat, because dietary preferences are simply a piss poor excuse to do something (in this case kill an animal) that you wouldn't do in other circumstances. Saying it is "natural" is just blatant naturalistic fallacy, you are still putting your preferences over the life of another creature. Which is fine as far as I am concerned, like I said I am not a vegetarian. But saying it is wrong to kill them to for entertainment but ok to kill them because you would rather not supplement your diet is a pretty damn arbitrary place to draw the line.

Seriously, think for a second about what you are saying. Their lives are worth enough that anybody who kills them for fun is "absolute scum and deserve to be put in prison"... but if you kill them because you don't want to take B12 tablets you are morally blameless? Quite a jump in moral judgment there between two ultimately unnecessary reasons to kill something.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by lucaf
Why is killing for food any better than killing for fun? We don't need meat as most people can live perfectly healthily without it, so ultimately if you eat meat you are doing it because you enjoy the taste. In either case an animal has died for your enjoyment, people only find hunting more distasteful because they think that cows are "supposed" to be eaten.

The best sources for the nutrients humanity needs are in meat....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by lucaf
If you actually thought animal life had intrinsic moral value you would choose supplements over meat, because dietary preferences are simply a piss poor excuse to do something (in this case kill an animal) that you would in other circumstances. Saying it is "natural" is just blatant naturalistic fallacy, you are still putting your preferences over the life of another creature. Which is fine as far as I am concerned, like I said I am not a vegetarian. But saying it is wrong to kill them to for entertainment but ok to kill them because you would rather not supplement your diet is a pretty damn arbitrary place to draw the line.

Seriously, think for a second about what you are saying. Their lives are worth enough that anybody who kills them for fun is "absolute scum and deserve to be put in prison"... but if you kill them because you don't want to take B12 tablets you are morally blameless? Quite a jump in moral judgment there between two ultimately unnecessary reasons to kill something.

Call us old fashioned but most of us would still rather eat than live off tablets:rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ricky attentionwhoring after it has become apparent that he's out of good material- has been since Extras.
Reply 18
Original post by Andy98
Call us old fashioned but most of us would still rather eat than live off tablets:rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats fine, go nuts. But then you are doing it out of dietary preference not necessity, and so you can't criticize others for killing animals for entertainment. "Would rather not eat pills" is hardly more moral than "Would like a trophy pelt". Hell, hunting probably has less welfare implications than farming.

Doesn't thus clash with previous the previous statement when you condemn killing for fashion (assumably for fur) but in the past humans needed fur to survive. Assumably you don't condemn that and so the reason for your issue is a survival thing. Now most people can survive on a vegetarian diet so why not apply e same thought and say they should survive on a vegetarian diet

Latest