The Student Room Group

Would these A Levels be widely respected by employers?!

I'm only in year 10 but at the moment I think I want to take French, maths, economics and psychology or a science at A level, would these be respected to employers/unis? I'm thinking of going into business in some way as a career:smile:
Reply 1
French definitely would because employers really value a language, especially since less and less people are taking them!
Maths and economics i'd say would be useful too but it really depends on what job you want to do as to how much it is valued
Psychology i think would be valued, well i hope so since i'm taking it at A Level too, because it shows you can work with science and maths i guess?
Psychology and economics are soft subjects. Idk why you'd want to take French but whatever. Maths is always good though.

If you want to increase your chances of finding a job, take Further Maths as well as Physics and Chemistry, or English lit (NOT English language) if you can't handle both sciences.
Reply 3
Oh, I did some research a while ago and because Oxford/Cambridge likes economics I assumed employers would too, and as I might be interested into going into that sort of area I thought it would be useful. If I changed psychology to probably biology but potentially physics depending on how I find the rest of GCSE would that make them any better? Thank you for replying:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by chloe6126
Oh, I did some research a while ago and because Oxford/Cambridge likes economics I assumed employers would too, and as I might be interested into going into that sort of area I thought it would be useful. If I changed psychology to probably biology but potentially physics depending on how I find the rest of GCSE would that make them any better? Thank you for replying:smile:

Don't worry too much about people who hype up the "STEM master race". Look up some courses you might be interested in at higher universities and see their subject requirements to give yourself an idea of what's needed for specific degrees.

In your case I would definitely stick with the maths - it's compulsory for an awful lot of degrees. For business: Maths, French, Economics and Chem/Phys/Bio should do great for a business degree. Psychology is a controversial one (both on TSR and with universities), but ultimately it's your choice.

I'm finishing of my AS's in maths, further maths, economics, chemistry and biology so feel free to ask subject-specific questions :smile:
Original post by Amy99
French definitely would because employers really value a language, especially since less and less people are taking them!
Maths and economics i'd say would be useful too but it really depends on what job you want to do as to how much it is valued
Psychology i think would be valued, well i hope so since i'm taking it at A Level too, because it shows you can work with science and maths i guess?

Psychology is soft and doesn't show you can work with maths or science.
Reply 6
Original post by chloe6126
I'm only in year 10 but at the moment I think I want to take French, maths, economics and psychology or a science at A level, would these be respected to employers/unis? I'm thinking of going into business in some way as a career:smile:

they are all good!
Original post by lonely-otaku
Psychology and economics are soft subjects. Idk why you'd want to take French but whatever. Maths is always good though.

Economics is a soft subject? :rofl: You must be clueless.
Original post by High Stakes
Economics is a soft subject? :rofl: You must be clueless.

Oh look someone's projecting, not to mention getting defensive because someone criticised their precious favourite subject.

As far as I'm aware, economics has never been on the list of facilitating subjects, nor is it even remotely useful for any degree whatsoever. In fact, even some ECONOMICS courses don't like it, and many top universities do indeed consider it soft. And it's completely pointless unless you want to get a degree in economics, which is a ****ty degree in itself.
Before you know it year 7s will be deciding what degree they're doing and what uni they're going to...chill...dont worry about your a level choices yet because your gcses will affect what you can or should do
Lots of advice here on choosing A level subjects : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/A_guide_to_choosing_your_sixth-form_subjects

Read it all.
Original post by lonely-otaku
Oh look someone's projecting, not to mention getting defensive because someone criticised their precious favourite subject.

As far as I'm aware, economics has never been on the list of facilitating subjects, nor is it even remotely useful for any degree whatsoever. In fact, even some ECONOMICS courses don't like it, and many top universities do indeed consider it soft. And it's completely pointless unless you want to get a degree in economics, which is a ****ty degree in itself.

Economics, Medicine, Law and Engineering are some of the most highly regarded degrees in the world, so I don't understand how it's a "****ty degree"?

http://www.topuniversities.com/cours...opular?page=-1

Moreover, regarding whether Economics is seen as facilitating or soft; it is seen as a well regarded A-Level that stands directly in the middle.

http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/faqs#4

Quick Reply

Latest