The Student Room Group

What are good London uni's for psych? Want to transfer!

So I really am not enjoying my university at all - I go to Northumbria and it's just a party uni, the people here are incredibly shallow minded and all they do is party and get inotoxicated every other night. Nobody really joins societies... They're very "underdeveloped" societies and tbh there aren't a big range of them. Along with this the events are the same - parties at the bar at uni, sometimes showing a film there. There's no Summer balls or Madquerade balls or water fights or varsity events. It's legit just nights out and that's it... So incredibly boring. Even the people here are just not on my level of thinkig, they don't have ambition or know where they're going in life and only came here because it's the party uni of newcastle, ugh!

I envy my friends who moved out and went to more
debeloped unis and made great friends and joined so many societies etc

the he education side of things here are great but that's IT. This is NOT the experience I wanted. I hate living at home too, too many family problems that I can't be dealing with while I am trying to set myself up for my future. ALSO - I am on city campus and it's just a shxthole lmao plusssss the facilities are horrendous including the library.

SO my question is, what universities out there are good for psychology and have all the qualities I am looking for? My tutor suggested universities in central London but I am worried that people there may not be as friendly (that's what I want ultimately) and I've been to london a couple times and people there do seem very cold to strangers looool

So yeah - what universities do you all think fit what I am looking for?
I'm sorry to hear you're not enjoying Northumbria, but these things happen and choosing to take a step away is bold and a sign that you are taking control.

You probably know most of the good names already: King's, UCL, Queen Mary, Royal Holloway (although be aware that Royal Holloway is not in London itself, although it's close and has beautiful campus). But you should also consider Westminster which has a good social base and has a very good research profile indeed and is well regarded for Psychology and also Birkbeck, which many people forget about but which is a leading research base for cognitive science. The only problem with Birkbeck is that it is mainly a university for mature and/or part time students which may be a factor.

I have a King's bias and I have elsewhere on this site recommended King's new BSc in Psychology which is taught by the excellent Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience. The IOPPN really is one of the world's great centres of mind science and this course is new, so competition for it may be less then otherwise expected. However, requirements are still likely to be rigorous. Talk to them. Talk to them all! Can any of your tutors/lecturers help you out if you have had a good first year academically? Please note that the better the institution, the less likely it is to accept transfers, as a general rule.

As for friendliness, the demeanour of Londoners generally should make no difference to your choice. Being a student in London will give you friends for life; that's what I have. But London is certainly expensive, so try for the best Uni you can in the hope of getting the best job.
In a similar position to you at the moment.

I don't know whether to actually transfer or just repeat my first year (because the lecturers at my university are presenting themselves as extremely under-qualified, they're not bothering to be engaging or showing any interest in their own fields!) Also, none of these people are understanding the implications of this. People have been getting consistently low grades and they just brush it off and do not seem to care very much about their futures at all. I'm quite worried that if I do transfer, people will already know each other and I don't know if the quality of what I was taught would be to the same standard at another university.

I'm still considering whether or not to move to London as it is an expensive city. King's have stopped accepting applications, unfortunately. But, city university is the second best in London according to league tables so I'm torn between that or somewhere in a cheaper city (e.g. Kent, Exeter, Surrey, Lincoln or Leeds).

Good luck! I haven't been able to talk to any of my lecturers about the problems because they're not very approachable and they always seem to be in a rush (to ruin my education, most likely, but what do they care? :biggrin:).
(edited 8 years ago)
Don't know where this idea that it's harder to make friends in London comes from, the rest if the UK is just as unfriendly - there's no differencd

Posted from TSR Mobile
You don't have to go to london for a good univerisity.

It is literally as simple as looking at the university league tables - those which are higher ranked tend to have higher grade requirements and will filter out people who are simply interested in partying.

However, "better" unis may not necessarily have better or more interesting societies, and what your feeling may not be limited to Northumbria (at most unis, first years will tend to party pretty much all the time). What you might be looking for is a uni with more squares, however even if you did manage to go to a uni that was marginally better than northumbra, it will likely be quite similar (maybe you just need to find people with similar sorts of interests?)
What iammichaeljackson said, along with the caveat that you might find it difficult to find universities to transfer over to (assuming you are looking at 2nd year entry, and even 1st year entry is not guaranteed now that the UCAS deadline has passed). You'll need to contact admissions offices, explain your situation and ask if the unis will consider a transfer application from you

Quick Reply

Latest