The Student Room Group

What mark do I need ENGLISH CIE IGCSE exam in 2 weeks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing the Cambridge International Exam (CIE) on 5th May for First Language English Extended 0522/02 and the whole OVERALL grade is out of 125 marks.

I got 49/50 in my written controlled assessments and 30/30 in the speaking and listening so thats 79/125. Remember that the 30 marks for speaking and listening is somehow merged into just 25 marks.

What minimum mark do i need to get both an A and an A* in the exam in 2 weeks time?

Thans in advance!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tibz101
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing the Cambridge International Exam (CIE) on 5th May for First Language English Extended 0522/02 and the whole OVERALL grade is out of 125 marks.

I got 49/50 in my written controlled assessments and 30/30 in the speaking and listening so thats 79/125. Remember that the 30 marks for speaking and listening is somehow merged into just 25 marks.

What minimum mark do i need to get both an A and an A* in the exam in 2 weeks time?

Thans in advance!!

Heya, I'm going to put this in the English forum for you as you should get more responses there.

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=82
Original post by tibz101
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thans in advance!!

Around 31 to get a* and 19 for A
Reply 3
Oh my gosh, that's great! Thank you so much for responding. Also, how dud you figure thus out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did well in c/w and speaking and listening.

Actual exam I flopped (bad day, I guess), got a D.

Overall I got an A :smile:

You don't need that many marks, you can get an a* easily.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
So you got 19 marks to get an A overall? Good job
Any tips you can give me or techniques to answer the questions really well? I want an A* so bad!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by tibz101
So you got 19 marks to get an A overall? Good job
Any tips you can give me or techniques to answer the questions really well? I want an A* so bad!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What you need to do to get a A* in English:

Get plenty of sleep before the exam
Chat a whole of BS during the exam 👌

Best advice ever.
Reply 7
Really is true for literature but I don't think the bs part will work for language haha, the language mark scheme is pretty tough I think :no:
Reply 8
[QUOTE="tibz101;55279563"]Really is true for literature but I don't think the bs part will work for language haha, the language mark scheme is pretty tough I think :no:[/QUOTE

For the ]Language paper just analyse what you're given, the grade boundaries are always very low so you'll be fine. Don't stress! They usually ask similar questions each year so get as many past papers in to optimise your chances of an A*. From I've seen they always seem to ask you to write either, a diary entry or a letter. So I'd advice asking your teachers how to format those type of essays and then just practice them. Best of luck in the exam 💯
Reply 9
Thank you so much! I know what to expect and I usually get A/A* so I hope I do my best in the exam too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Learn the paper :smile:
Look at past papers and the mark schemes, and see how they mark them. I found out that the examiners just look for the key points from the text written in your own words that are related to the question.
That's what I did and I got an A :wink:
I got 49 on the controlled assessment pieces but 25 on the speaking and listening, any ideas on what I need to get on the Exam?

Thanks for any help, and good luck for tuesday peeps!
Reply 12
Original post by sufiyan1999
I got 49 on the controlled assessment pieces but 25 on the speaking and listening, any ideas on what I need to get on the Exam?

Thanks for any help, and good luck for tuesday peeps!

My speaking and listening was moderated and dropped by 5 marks so now I'm on 25 + 49 for my written coursework.

We're in the same boat now - teacher said I need 42/43 to get an A* so thats the same for you if she's right :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Strange, my teacher emailed me a little while after saying 36 out of 50 would get me the A*. Soo confused :frown:, I'm just feeling like going in and doing my best and not worrying about how much I need because tbh I go to a really crap school and IMO I've done good with my time there. Just to put into context how bad my school is - 2 years ago 22% of students achieved 5 A*s-Cs and last year it was like 42%.

Anyways best of luck for tuesday!!
Reply 14
Original post by sufiyan1999
Strange, my teacher emailed me a little while after saying 36 out of 50 would get me the A*. Soo confused :frown:, I'm just feeling like going in and doing my best and not worrying about how much I need because tbh I go to a really crap school and IMO I've done good with my time there. Just to put into context how bad my school is - 2 years ago 22% of students achieved 5 A*s-Cs and last year it was like 42%.

Anyways best of luck for tuesday!!

Maybe my teacher's trying to push me to get the grade so I'm a secure A*. But it's better to think you have to get over 40 than just miss an A* by 2 or 3 marks!

Good luck to you too!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Thank you :smile:
Reply 16
Hey guys I got 37/50 on my coursework and 24/30 in my Orals I did worse then expected and I'm really freaking out 😭 what would I need out of 50 in the exam to get an A
Reply 17
Original post by Nc_x
Hey guys I got 37/50 on my coursework and 24/30 in my Orals I did worse then expected and I'm really freaking out 😭 what would I need out of 50 in the exam to get an A

I'd think about 45? Because I need around 40 to get an A* and I got 49/50 CA + 25/30 S&L. Hope that helps :smile:
hi does anyone know what i would need to get an A*?
i got 44/50 for my coursework and 23/30 for speaking and listening.
thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending