The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
i disagree - i dont think there should be UoL one, it mixes some rubbish colleges, which are some of the worst universities in england, and the elite such as LSE and UCL
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 21
I think a sub forum would be a great idea...im hoping to get into kings this september, adn it think it would be really useful...and it would make the forum system more efficient and easier to use...
Reply 22
TheWolf
it mixes some rubbish colleges, which are some of the worst universities in england

such as? :confused:
Reply 23
TheWolf
i disagree - i dont think there should be UoL one, it mixes some rubbish colleges, which are some of the worst universities in england, and the elite such as LSE and UCL

Neither UCL or LSE are elite. The only two universities in the UK which can call themselves 'elite' are...well, you know what they are!
Reply 24
kingslaw
Neither UCL or LSE are elite. The only two universities in the UK which can call themselves 'elite' are...well, you know what they are!

ok i worded it wrong but lse and ucl are significantly better than other london colleges eg Birbeck and Royal Hollaway
Reply 25
TheWolf
ok i worded it wrong but lse and ucl are significantly better than other london colleges eg Birbeck and Royal Hollaway

I suppose so. I wouldnt particuarily like Kings to be lumped in with them either. But then again, we are only talking about a bloody internet message board where most people will simply be asking questions about UoL accommodation and London life. Its not going to deteriorate the qualilty of anyones degree.

Some stepping down of unhealthily high horses is required methinks!
TheWolf

At the end of the day, the degrees are all ratified by the same body.

It is rather stupid that there is no UoL subforum for a host of reasons mentioned previously, to my mind, I am yet to see a valid argument to the contrary!

*mobbdeeprob casts a scornful glance at the mods*

*Cue background music, 'The Times They Are A-Changing'*
kingslaw

Both UCL and LSE are elite, by all the standards which people apply. You know they are. You just don't like them.
Reply 28
W.A.S Hewins
Both UCL and LSE are elite, by all the standards which people apply. You know they are. You just don't like them.

Here we go again. LSE blah blah blah "world reknown" blah blah blah politicians went there blah blah blah centre of social sciences blah blah f*cking blah!

I'll just agree with you before you piss you pants again. LSE is elite. Congratulations.
Children please, you are part of one body - the UoL. The UoL does not discriminate between any of his children, whether they be the bastards from Bloomsbury, the plebs on the Strand or of the Houghton St. prima dona variety. :tongue:
And anyway, amongst my six Law choices for 2005 entry, both Kings and LSE will feature - so there, I can poke fun out of both institutions, until I have the misfortune of attending one of them... :tongue:
Reply 31
mobbdeeprob
And anyway, amongst my six Law choices for 2005 entry, both Kings and LSE will feature - so there, I can poke fun out of both institutions, until I have the misfortune of attending one of them... :tongue:

Does that mean I can poke fun at UCL and Kings as they both feature on my possible choices? Although I have no particular desire to do so!
kingslaw
Does that mean I can poke fun at UCL and Kings as they both feature on my possible choices? Although I have no particular desire to do so!

No, because your user name suggests you aren't non-committal enough to do this :wink:. By the way, I do think Hewins is an arrogant prick and I've supported the UoL subforum campaign - do you still despise me?
Reply 33
mobbdeeprob
No, because your user name suggests you aren't non-committal enough to do this :wink:. By the way, I do think Hewins is an arrogant prick and I've supported the UoL subforum campaign - do you still despise me?

I dont recall ever despising you! Infact, I quite admire the whole non-committal approach. The idea of slagging off every university - even the one your going to - sounds quite fun to me! I'll certainly consider it. Something needs to balance out all the zealotness on this board!

And yes, Hewins is an incredibly tedious git.
kingslaw
I dont recall ever despising you! Infact, I quite admire the whole non-committal approach. The idea of slagging off every university - even the one your going to - sounds quite fun to me! I'll certainly consider it. Something needs to balance out all the zealotness on this board!

And yes, Hewins is an incredibly tedious git.

Fair enough, then we are resolved. All that I 'know' about your university plans is what I have rightly/wrongly derived from your user name, can you tell me in more detail? :smile:
Reply 35
mobbdeeprob
Fair enough, then we are resolved. All that I 'know' about your university plans is what I have rightly/wrongly derived from your user name, can you tell me in more detail? :smile:

You have rightly derived from my user name. I've got an offer from Kings, UCL and Leeds, with Kings being first choice.
This sounds more like it:

Guardian League tables 2003

http://education.guardian.co.uk/universityguide2004/table/0,14557,1222167,00.html

Institution
Average Guardian teaching score/100
Number of subjects

1. Cambridge 83.40 25
2. Oxford 83.26 27
3. Imperial College 78.60 14
4. Schl of Oriental & African Studies 77.07 8
5. London Schl of Economics 76.65 11
6. University College London 75.04 33
7. King's Col, London 73.36 26
8. York 73.28 19
9. Warwick 72.96 23
10. Nottingham 72.62 35
LondonCynic
This sounds more like it:

Guardian League tables 2003

http://education.guardian.co.uk/universityguide2004/table/0,14557,1222167,00.html

Institution
Average Guardian teaching score/100
Number of subjects

1. Cambridge 83.40 25
2. Oxford 83.26 27
3. Imperial College 78.60 14
4. Schl of Oriental & African Studies 77.07 8
5. London Schl of Economics 76.65 11
6. University College London 75.04 33
7. King's Col, London 73.36 26
8. York 73.28 19
9. Warwick 72.96 23
10. Nottingham 72.62 35

Yeah but the Guardian's league table is rubbish compared to the Times.

31. Goldsmiths Col 65.41 16
32. Leeds 65.16 40
33. Keele 65.13 23
34. Southampton 65.07 33
35. Queen Mary, London 64.96 20
36. Cardiff 64.71 35
37. Bournemouth 64.69 15
38. Westminster 64.49 20
39. East London 64.34 16
40. Central England 64.23 19
41. Surrey 64.22 19
42. Nottingham Trent 64.15 31
43. Liverpool 64.11 35
44. Hertfordshire 63.91 22
45. Kent at Canterbury 63.74 24
46. Queen's Belfast 63.67 36
47. De Montfort 63.64 24
48. Essex 63.47 19
49. Ulster 63.33 31
50. Gloucestershire 63.09 17

QM, East London and Westminster above Liverpool. Right, whatever.
I dont think anything compiled by the Guardian is meaningless, personally.

Here is another table, this time dedicated to research:

Top 100 European Universities 2003

http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/rank-Europe.mht

Rank Institution* Country World Rank
1 Univ Cambridge UK 5
2 Univ Oxford UK 9
3 Imperial Coll Sci Tech Med UK 17
4 Univ Coll London UK 20
5 Swiss Fed Inst Tech - Zurich Switzerland 25
6 Karolinska Inst Stockholm Sweden 39
7 Univ Utrecht Netherland 40
8 Univ Edinburgh UK 43
9 Univ Zurich Switzerland 45
10 Univ Munich Germany 48
11 Univ Bristol UK 55
12 Univ Heidelberg Germany 58
13 Uppsala Univ Sweden 59
14 Tech Univ Munich Germany 60
15 Univ Oslo Norway 63
16 Univ Copenhagen Denmark 65
16 Univ Paris 06 France 65
18 Univ Sheffield UK 68
19 Univ Roma - La Sapienza Italy 70
20 Univ Paris 11 France 72
21 Univ Helsinki Finland 74
22 King's Coll London UK 75
A good marker of a new sub-forum should take in to account Size, Tradition and Fame of the university, as well as Academic Distinction (seen as this seems to be a factor anyway at UKL).

I go to UCL now, just for informations sake. I used to go to Kings. I would never go to a boring place like Imperial if I could help it, though I have been given offers. This why I find it both amusing and slightly puzzling as to why both these aforementioned institutions do not have their own dedicated subforums.

Latest