The Student Room Group

Further Pure 4: Invariant Lines/Lines of Invariant Points

I've been searching all over for an answer but I can't seem to find anything useful. The AQA text book doesn't explain it clearly to me. I have a few questions regarding the invariance topic in general.

Firstly it would be great if someone could explain what the difference between an invariant line and a LINE of invariant points is.

Is a line of invariant points simply a line which contains points that are unaffected by transformations, but not all of them, whereas all points on the invariant line are unaffected?

Secondly I need help calculating them. I know to find the invariant points you multiply by x and y and set it equal to x and y and just rearrange that. Does this give you the line of invariant points?

I don't understand at all the invariant line system. I understand if you want to find them in the form mx + c you multiply it by x and mx+c but I don't understand the next steps. What do you substitute the multiplication into and why is this the case?

I would appreciate any help anyone can provide. Invariant points and lines always seem to make it onto the papers and it's a topic that's been annoying me for weeks.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by -jordan-
I've been searching all over for an answer but I can't seem to find anything useful. The AQA text book doesn't explain it clearly to me. I have a few questions regarding the invariance topic in general.

Firstly it would be great if someone could explain what the difference between an invariant line and a LINE of invariant points is.

Is a line of invariant points simply a line which contains points that are unaffected by transformations, but not all of them, whereas all points on the invariant line are unaffected?

Secondly I need help calculating them. I know to find the invariant points you multiply by x and y and set it equal to x and y and just rearrange that. Does this give you the line of invariant points?

I don't understand at all the invariant line system. I understand if you want to find them in the form mx + c you multiply it by x and mx+c but I don't understand the next steps. What do you substitute the multiplication into and why is this the case?

I would appreciate any help anyone can provide. Invariant points and lines always seem to make it onto the papers and it's a topic that's been annoying me for weeks.

line of invariant points

every point is mapped onto itself, so point for point there is no change.
(eigenvalue = 1)

invariant line

every point gets mapped to another position, but afterwards the images still lie on the original line
(eigenvalue anything but 1)
Reply 2
Original post by TeeEm
line of invariant points

every point is mapped onto itself, so point for point there is no change.
(eigenvalue = 1)

invariant line

every point gets mapped to another position, but afterwards the images still lie on the original line
(eigenvalue anything but 1)

That's great, thank you.

Given a transformation matrix, how do I find these?
Reply 3
That's great, thank you.

Given a transformation matrix, how do I find these?

Find the eigenvectors.

note these apply to lines through the origin only
Reply 4
Original post by TeeEm
Find the eigenvectors.

note these apply to lines through the origin only

This isn't the method we are required to know. It requires us to multiply by x and mx+c but I don't understand the steps afterwards.
This isn't the method we are required to know. It requires us to multiply by x and mx+c but I don't understand the steps afterwards.

So, this reply might be a little late for your exam... but hopefully I can help somebody else.

We can say that for a matrix transformation applied to a point,
(a b (u = (u'
c d) v) v')

i.e. the transformation from the matrix on the left maps point (u,v) to point (u',v')
Since we are talking about a straight line, y=mx, we can say that v = mu, where m is the gradient of the line. (as here, v is our y coordinate, and u is our x coordinate).

So,
(a b (u = (u' = (au+bmu

c d) mu) v') cu+dmu)

Since points u' and v' are also mapped to a point on y=mx, we can say that the top line = m(bottom line)
i.e. au+bmu = m(cu+dmu)

Then, we can solve for m (u can be removed, as it's a common factor), and substitute our values for m into y=mx+c to find our invariant lines.

Quick Reply

Latest