The Student Room Group

Is it bad to stretch this muscle?

My job involves sitting at a desk most of the day so when I get home I like to do some leg stretches to keep my leg muscles in good health. There is an exercise I do where I sit up the wall so my butt is touching the wall and then I open my legs as far as I can and use the wall to force my legs open a little to get the stretch.

The thing is when I start to close my legs after the stretch I get the most painful burning sensation in one of my muscles (see the video) and it feels like the muscle is on fire, is this natural or should I see a doctor?

You're probably fine, but don't go mental with the stretching. You can easily damage tendons and ligaments by stretching too vigorously. Don't force yourself too much!

It's normal to be sore after static stretching, but you shouldn't be getting sharp pains that last any length of time.
Reply 2
Can't watch video but it might help if you go gradually into the stretch then slide semi-slowly back out. If you are doing more intense stretching warm up a bit first

Quick Reply

Latest