The Student Room Group

Cie igcse history mega-thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by C0balt
I just wrote as much as I knew really. Better be safe than be sorry later lol
I'm not the examiner and I didn't get to see my actual exam so I can't really comment on precise marking details

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm, Okay then. but maybe can you maybe see one of my work and give advice? You did get an A* so maybe you can just give me a few tips, non? :colondollar:
any one have any past questions for cie 20th century.. dont need league of nations its no longer on the course, if any of you have any questions on the gulf war that would be great
does any one on here have any past questions ive checked the links and there are non only mark schemes... league of nations isnt neccessary, but any questions on the gulf war would be welcome.
It's gonna be kinda heard for this thread to be a 'mega' thread considering the small number of people taking CIE IGCSEs in TSR. In any case, I got an A* in IGCSE history, so feel free to fire away with questions :biggrin:
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
It's gonna be kinda heard for this thread to be a 'mega' thread considering the small number of people taking CIE IGCSEs in TSR. In any case, I got an A* in IGCSE history, so feel free to fire away with questions :biggrin:

:biggrin:Haha, Hoped the title will attract people, well not many people doing CIE. Congratulations on your A*, which board was it?
Original post by AlphaWolfZ
:biggrin:Haha, Hoped the title will attract people, well not many people doing CIE. Congratulations on your A*, which board was it?

CIE ¬¬
CIE ¬¬

Oh that's amazing. TBh, I really don't do well in humanities so I really want to get that A*, any tips on P1, how to answer the questions...
Reply 27
Oh that's amazing. TBh, I really don't do well in humanities so I really want to get that A*, any tips on P1, how to answer the questions...

The problem is mark allocation changed this year and first question is 4 marks and last question is 10 marks in paper 1

Basically if you put three or four points them elaborate you're probably guaranteed 4 marks.
But you will have to look out for the 10 marker. Make sure to argue both sides and include conclusion

Posted from TSR Mobile
So for the 10 marker, how much points for each arguemnt, 1 or 2? Or can you do 2 for one side and 1 for the other, + a conclusions?
Reply 29
So for the 10 marker, how much points for each arguemnt, 1 or 2? Or can you do 2 for one side and 1 for the other, + a conclusions?

It depends on the question. Just write as much as you can because they give you marks for what you know but what you wrote down and they can't take away marks for writing things down unless they are utter nonsense or the structure is terrible
One or two is definitely not enough though. Look at my notes and see bullet points for essay style question. I included all of them even for one sentence in my actual exam when one of them came up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
It depends on the question. Just write as much as you can because they give you marks for what you know but what you wrote down and they can't take away marks for writing things down unless they are utter nonsense or the structure is terrible
One or two is definitely not enough though. Look at my notes and see bullet points for essay style question. I included all of them even for one sentence in my actual exam when one of them came up

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you think revising from your revision notes alone would be enough to get an A*?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by Don Joiner
Do you think revising from your revision notes alone would be enough to get an A*?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well if you know the facts it increases the probability but you have to know how to write an essay using the facts
There are paper 2 and 4 which my notes do not cover and they are a large part of your grade too. I didn't cover cold war part either.
Also syllabus changed slightly from last year

And during the process of making my notes I read different sources of information and condensed them whilst referring to the syllabus, which you cannot so just by reading my notes

I suppose you should use my notes as just a different source of information and check list sort of thing. The essay bullet points are probably useful for structuring your own essay though
Posted from TSR Mobile

P1 is the a) b) c) questions right?
For part a) I recommend first writing the bullet points which address the 5 mark question. 5-7 bullet points, with a small explanation, should do the job and get you full marks. The 7 mark question is describing. I think I remember never writing my opinion on those. You want to state events, describe them and interlink them with one another. Go into as much detail as possible, remember to use as much vocabulary as you can (Anschluss, Great Depression, Putsch... words which let the examiner know you know what you're talking about). Always remember that part (b) is about DESCRIBING, so explain everything.
Part c is my favourite.
1. Start the question with: "In my opinion..." you state your opinion.
2. Next paragraph(s) you explain your side of the argument. As always, back up everything you say (PQE: point, quotation, explanation). Remember some dates, interlink events and most of all remember anything AGAINST your point will be used after this paragraph
3. After this you explain AGAINST of your point. Same as before.
4. Conclusion: you put the FOR arguments on one side of the balance and the AGAINST arguments on the other side of the balance. Then you say why you think FOR is stronger than AGAINST. Sometimes I recommend leaving part (1) to the end because you might notice your AGAINST arguments are actually stronger.
Good luck!

EDIT I just realised there's been a change to the syllabus. Still, I hope these tips might come in handy, as the structure is similar.
(edited 8 years ago)
My sister is taking IGCSE history this year too :biggrin:
She's doing really well and I think she's on track for an A* or an A. Does any of you have any notes on structures for the Paper 4? I think you guys are the first year to do a paper like that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Anyone doing Russia as a depth study?
P1 is the a) b) c) questions right?
For part a) I recommend first writing the bullet points which address the 5 mark question. 5-7 bullet points, with a small explanation, should do the job and get you full marks. The 7 mark question is describing. I think I remember never writing my opinion on those. You want to state events, describe them and interlink them with one another. Go into as much detail as possible, remember to use as much vocabulary as you can (Anschluss, Great Depression, Putsch... words which let the examiner know you know what you're talking about). Always remember that part (b) is about DESCRIBING, so explain everything.
Part c is my favourite.
1. Start the question with: "In my opinion..." you state your opinion.
2. Next paragraph(s) you explain your side of the argument. As always, back up everything you say (PQE: point, quotation, explanation). Remember some dates, interlink events and most of all remember anything AGAINST your point will be used after this paragraph
3. After this you explain AGAINST of your point. Same as before.
4. Conclusion: you put the FOR arguments on one side of the balance and the AGAINST arguments on the other side of the balance. Then you say why you think FOR is stronger than AGAINST. Sometimes I recommend leaving part (1) to the end because you might notice your AGAINST arguments are actually stronger.
Good luck!

EDIT I just realised there's been a change to the syllabus. Still, I hope these tips might come in handy, as the structure is similar.

Thank you for this infomative treasure trove of tips! :biggrin:
Thank you for this infomative treasure trove of tips! :biggrin:

In exchange, could you give me some notes for Paper 4, please? It's for my sister :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
In exchange, could you give me some notes for Paper 4, please? It's for my sister :smile:

I think Paper 4 is a depth study question, which one is she doing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending