The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

White men banned from Anti-Racism Rally @ Goldsmiths University!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goldsmiths University students organised meeting to 'diversify curriculum'

The student union's Diversity Officer (pictured above) said white men were not welcome

After anger over the move, organisers backed down and overturned ban

This is her message on Facebook:

I'd love to have this happen at my university. I just don't understand why people are angry, it doesn't really affect you so why get worked up?

The way I see it is that it was something for minority people only as to empower them. They made an event for themselves no need to impede on their rally by showing up.

Some guys @ that university went as far as saying many white men felt they ‘could not say anything for fear of retribution’, adding: ‘For Bahar to have the nerve to write this is patronising beyond belief. The irony that she thinks that they are diversifying the student community in the name of feminism and multiculturalism is laughable.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3051977/Anger-anti-racism-rally-banned-white-people-attending.html

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Who knows why trying to get rid of discrimination through discrimination could anger people who are being discriminated against for their perceived discrimination against others.
Reply 2
Original post by Aj12
Who knows why trying to get rid of discrimination through discrimination could anger people who are being discriminated against for their perceived discrimination against others.

Well this is an event for a specific cause speaking out against a specific group of people. Inviting said group of people would diminish and abrogate from the message of the event in my opinion. I don't think white males should be taking this personally, she even said in the same FB post that they had something planned for those not invited.
Reply 3
Original post by Daenerys...
Well this is an event for a specific cause speaking out against a specific group of people. Inviting said group of people would diminish and abrogate from the message of the event in my opinion. I don't think white males should be taking this personally, she even said in the same FB post that they had something planned for those not invited.

Ah so white men should not be offended that they are viewed as automatically oppressing groups simply because of their gender and skin colour?

You are going to have to help me here, my vocabulary is not very good. Is there not a word for making generalisations on the basis of race or perhaps gender? Some sort of ism or another? I'm sorry it has completely slipped my mind.
Hypocrisy, such blatant whiny entitled hypocrisy.

Don't want to be discriminated against? Fair enough that is fair. But don't go discriminating other people. There are plenty of white men who care about these issue and would have liked to go to be educated on the matter and to show their support. But noooo they're just evil white men right? No way they could actually care or be involved. :rolleyes:
(edited 8 years ago)
These 'diversity' people are crawling all over our education and media
Something I found really funny when I read this article a few days ago was that they had a banner with "Equality" written on it as part of their slogan or something alike.

It's amazing how these individuals are too thick to see the irony that they're trying to be progressive while specifically discriminating people based on race and gender. There's no way to really get around the fact that banning men and white people from a talk is sexist and racist. But then I'm not really that surprised, Goldsmiths has a track record nowadays of being home to the type of people who don't think men or white people hold a valid opinion and if they do express one they're simply "mansplaining", that it's not possible to be racist to males or white people due to that pesky privilege and patriarchy. They probably believe in free speech too.. Unless that speech happens to disagree with them, then they'll threaten to riot in order to to shut the individual up like we saw only too recently at Goldsmiths. As much as I loved Goldsmiths, I'm ashamed at how spineless they are and the fact I shared a university with these borderline sociopathic tools.

In any case, reverse the gender and races and watch the ****storm ensue.

I found it quite telling how men are banned too, considering men are a minority at Goldsmiths and universities as a whole- if they were true to their word of equality and diversification they should be working to incorporate more males. Personally I would have rocked up with as many guys and white people as I could too see the sour look on their faces.

On a quick side not, the title while technically correct is slightly off. They are banning men as a whole and white people as a whole rather than specifically white males.
(edited 8 years ago)
Alienating white men who want to support diversity rallies seems pretty counterproductive.
Reply 8
They were also banning FtM transgender people (people born female but identifying as male) and Jews. :lol:
As a black person I'm pretty annoyed at this. Very stupid.
Original post by TurboCretin
Alienating white men who want to support diversity rallies seems pretty counterproductive.

im pretty sure if white guys wanted to encourage equality, they would have done it already
Original post by Aj12
Ah so white men should not be offended that they are viewed as automatically oppressing groups?

Yes
Reply 12
The thing is if they hadn't banned them, I doubt any would have showed up. Maybe the odd one or two tagging along with a friend in attendance, and that is hardly going to ruin the event. But the moment you are banned from something that is insulting on principle, regardless of whether you actually wanted to attend.
Just FYI... white women were also banned.

I think all men were banned too.
Reply 14
Original post by DIN-NARYU-FARORE
not a troll mate this is legit. why should those who benefit from a system that oppresses others, attend the oppressed meetings' to di,scuss said oppression?

A lot harder to change the people on tops attitudes if they don't get involved in discussions of the issues.
Banning white men from the rally would almost certainly, in my view, fall under the provisions of the Equality Act and be impermissible discrimination / harassment.

The Equality Act, and the concept of equality, cuts both ways. The woman who created the rally and the ban is a revolting bigot
all of you need to be educated on this important topic

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/aeman-ansari/ethnic-safe-spaces_b_6897176.html
Original post by lucaf
A lot harder to change the people on tops attitudes if they don't get involved in discussions of the issues.

how can the average white adult solve the issues of black women low self esteem in a society that tells them they're ugly compared to white women

how can white people help muslims on the issue of islamphobia is when it is rife in britain (especially on tsr)
Original post by DIN-NARYU-FARORE
how can the average white adult solve the issues of black women low self esteem in a society that tells them they're ugly compared to white women

I am a white man and I agree there are many racial injustices. The idea that you will solve that by demonising white people and men is just silly.

how can white people help muslims on the issue of islamphobia is when it is rife in britain (especially on tsr)

Islamophobia is a rational response for people who fear they would be murdered in an Islamic State (gay people, for example)
Original post by Babada Boopy
Britian is not anti-black, you are anti-white and suffer from an inferiority complex, stop blaming everyone else and look at yourself

inferiority complex put in place by society the media and the other powers that be

theres a reason black people dont do well in our society, and it isnt due to inherent vices

Latest