The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

White men banned from Anti-Racism Rally @ Goldsmiths University!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scroll to see replies

*Heavy sigh*
Original post by DIN-NARYU-FARORE
does no one truly understand why those who are not privileged would like to have a few spaces to be away from the privileged? wow Britain.

So you are saying that these university educated BME women are less privileged than a white working class male who failed there education?

What if some of these BME women were privately educated, are they still less privileged than a white male that went to a bad comprehensive school?

These BME women are from a protected class and when getting a job they have the upper hand as the Equality Act 2010 allows for Positive action.
Original post by Aj12
But is based on that assumption. The assumption is that white people cannot relate to black people. This is the territory you get into when you have a blanket ban on white people. It is the ban on white people that is the issue, not the existence of such a place on its own.

I don't like this use of language of a "white view". What exactly is this white view? This is the issue approaching race like this, simultaneously disputing the idea of generalising groups whilst applying generalisations of how an entire racial group think.

Your contradicting yourself all over the place here. You are suggesting these groups aren't suggesting white people are racist, yet they need to have spaces away from white people. You are suggesting that the majority of white people are not racist or bad yet suggest they are in an oppressive role. Finally you seem to be suggesting there is a fundamental difference between a black person and a white person by speaking of views held by entire races. Is this not exactly the sort of thinking that led to racial segregation in the first place?

This is a self defeating approach to racial issues, that is merely creating and exacerbating racial tensions in society.

It's about reality versus pretence. There's a pretence around in society now (I see some of it in your comments above) that racism is now 'solved' for white people, eg, that racist views, overt or covert, are under control and so we need not worry. That is false.

Claiming that white people are not as a group in an oppressor role may be comforting, but it isn't accurate. The whole history of colonialism, slavery, imperialism and the modern history of immigration to do the 'dirty jobs' and segregated cities (like it or not, that's what we effectively have) with black people remaining the poorer community, with jobs harder to access and all of that, means that there is an element of oppression.

I'm NOT claiming that ALL white people are oppressive. I'm talking about the net effects of the history and the overall situation and the way that interacts with everyday white/black dealings.

You're repeatedly reading things into my words that weren't there. I'm certainly not claiming that views are held by entire races. Racism plainly isn't universal, but it hasn't disappeared either. It presents itself in all kinds of ways that aren't all that apparent to white people.

White people who mean well and believe in absolute values like the equality of races (which clearly you do and so do I) also need to be realistic about the current situation, which is that we are not equal. If you were black, you would be routinely stopped by the police (still going on, for example, in London), you would very likely have been brought up in a poor neighbourhood (or much more likely than the average white person), you would be much more likely to be unemployed or to have a lower grade job, etc. Of course, there are many black people who have good jobs, live in nice areas and do not encounter so much racism, but even middle class black people report feeling that racism operates in their work places and social lives.

White people are often stupid about understanding this stuff. Not our fault, because white privilege is kind of a hidden substrata which is hard to see because we are immersed in it all the time.
This woman looks white to me. Does she plan to attend her own rally?
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It's about reality versus pretence. There's a pretence around in society now (I see some of it in your comments above) that racism is now 'solved' for white people, eg, that racist views, overt or covert, are under control and so we need not worry. That is false.

Claiming that white people are not as a group in an oppressor role may be comforting, but it isn't accurate. The whole history of colonialism, slavery, imperialism and the modern history of immigration to do the 'dirty jobs' and segregated cities (like it or not, that's what we effectively have) with black people remaining the poorer community, with jobs harder to access and all of that, means that there is an element of oppression.

I'm NOT claiming that ALL white people are oppressive. I'm talking about the net effects of the history and the overall situation and the way that interacts with everyday white/black dealings.

You're repeatedly reading things into my words that weren't there. I'm certainly not claiming that views are held by entire races. Racism plainly isn't universal, but it hasn't disappeared either. It presents itself in all kinds of ways that aren't all that apparent to white people.

White people who mean well and believe in absolute values like the equality of races (which clearly you do and so do I) also need to be realistic about the current situation, which is that we are not equal. If you were black, you would be routinely stopped by the police (still going on, for example, in London), you would very likely have been brought up in a poor neighbourhood (or much more likely than the average white person), you would be much more likely to be unemployed or to have a lower grade job, etc. Of course, there are many black people who have good jobs, live in nice areas and do not encounter so much racism, but even middle class black people report feeling that racism operates in their work places and social lives.

White people are often stupid about understanding this stuff. Not our fault, because white privilege is kind of a hidden substrata which is hard to see because we are immersed in it all the time.

um
Original post by Observatory
This woman looks white to me. Does she plan to attend her own rally?

shes an arab so

You could have condensed this crap into MUH COLONIALISM
My advice is to stop feeling guilty about it and stop assuming blacks can't succeed due to what happened in the past
Original post by Babada Boopy
shes an arab so

Ah - too far south? Do eye-talians count as white, or are they also eligible to attend this rally? And is she a pure Arab, or just some admixture? How much Arab is enough?

Is there some kind of board that could adjudicate these matters, where there's reasonable doubt?
Ah - too far south? Do eye-talians count as white, or are they also eligible to attend this rally? And is she a pure Arab, or just some admixture? How much Arab is enough?

Is there some kind of board that could adjudicate these matters, where there's reasonable doubt?

I don't even know they go through all sorts of mental hoops, I am part Italian and look darker than that woman
Original post by Babada Boopy
You could have condensed this crap into MUH COLONIALISM
My advice is to stop feeling guilty about it and stop assuming blacks can't succeed due to what happened in the past

Allowing black people to call meetings and say they are for black people isn't a product of cringing guilt, it's just reasonable.

Defeating the obviously reasonable by arguing from exceptions can be applied to any political or social issue, it doesn't make the core argument unreasonable, it just indicates that there are some blurred lines and grey areas around the edges that need thinking about.

These are just identities at the end of the day. The problem is that we don't always choose them for ourselves, or every aspect of how we get treated based on the identity others assign to us. Some people who feel black may get treated as white and the other way around. That doesn't mean there isn't a large community definitely feeling black and definitely treated as black.
Allowing black people to call meetings and say they are for black people isn't a product of cringing guilt, it's just reasonable.

If you read the thread it isn't about that, it is supposed to be an anti-racist rally which by banning people based on their colour is hilarious.

If blacks are allowed to exlude people from their groups based on colour then you've got to allow every other group to do it based on colour, ethnicity, nationality, and then you get to gender and all sorts of other things. I don't particularly think it brings society closer together, just creates division and hate and I think under our equality act is clear discrimination
Reply 72

I don't feel these issues are solved at all. Racism is still an issue in our society, I fully understand that. But as I have been saying throughout this thread, trying to combat that through further segregation is not that answer.

Yes historically white people have been oppressors, that is obvious. However in our society today white people as a whole are not. Racism is still an issue but you cannot frame this as one of white people as a group against black people as a group. If that was the case we would have a legal system of discrimination, but we don't because the majority of the population are horrified by rampant racism.

I would hardly say black people are poor because of white oppression in this country. The fact that poor white children often do worse in school compared to other minority groups in similar situations should testify to this. Take a poor white person and a poor black person, I doubt you will find much of a difference, other than skin colour.

Lets assume you are correct. That everything you say is true and black people are the victim of a subtly racist society. Why is the solution to this the formation groups and meetings explicitly banning white people? If everything you say is true then the issue here is a lack of integration between white people and black people. Why is the solution to further exacerbate the issue by creating an environment in which minority groups feel they have to form associations designed to protect them from the mere presence of white people.
Defeating the obviously reasonable by arguing from exceptions can be applied to any political or social issue, it doesn't make the core argument unreasonable, it just indicates that there are some blurred lines and grey areas around the edges that need thinking about.

These are just identities at the end of the day. The problem is that we don't always choose them for ourselves, or every aspect of how we get treated based on the identity others assign to us. Some people who feel black may get treated as white and the other way around. That doesn't mean there isn't a large community definitely feeling black and definitely treated as black.

I don't agree that racism is obviously reasonable or that what this woman is doing is obviously reasonable.

Now if the qualification is "feeling" rather than being black - and I think that's also completely absurd - then this woman has no grounds to exclude all people who, like her, look white from her rally. She can't know if they "feel black" or not.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Daenerys...

Goldsmiths University students organised meeting to 'diversify curriculum'

The student union's Diversity Officer (pictured above) said white men were not welcome

After anger over the move, organisers backed down and overturned ban

This is her message on Facebook:

I'd love to have this happen at my university. I just don't understand why people are angry, it doesn't really affect you so why get worked up?

The way I see it is that it was something for minority people only as to empower them. They made an event for themselves no need to impede on their rally by showing up.

Some guys @ that university went as far as saying many white men felt they ‘could not say anything for fear of retribution’, adding: ‘For Bahar to have the nerve to write this is patronising beyond belief. The irony that she thinks that they are diversifying the student community in the name of feminism and multiculturalism is laughable.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3051977/Anger-anti-racism-rally-banned-white-people-attending.html

Original post by Aj12
Who knows why trying to get rid of discrimination through discrimination could anger people who are being discriminated against for their perceived discrimination against others.

Apparently, all men were banned from this as the messages says BAME women.

The student union's Diversity Officer (pictured above) said white men were not welcome

I'd love to have this happen at my university. I just don't understand why people are angry, it doesn't really affect you so why get worked up?

The way I see it is that it was something for minority people only as to empower them. They made an event for themselves no need to impede on their rally by showing up.

Some guys @ that university went as far as saying many white men felt they ‘could not say anything for fear of retribution’, adding: ‘For Bahar to have the nerve to write this is patronising beyond belief. The irony that she thinks that they are diversifying the student community in the name of feminism and multiculturalism is laughable.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3051977/Anger-anti-racism-rally-banned-white-people-attending.html

How can white people be banned when white people own the building ?

How can white people be banned when white people gave this woman the job of diversity officer in the first place ?

If white people wanted to, they could put on a block on this IN A MINUTE

The only this is happening is because white people said it could happen.

Thirdly white people all white meeting, 24-7, 365 days a year, with no blacks or Asian in mile

What ? You think when the people in TSR gather round and discuss this website. Do you think there are any black people at the meeting ?

OF COURSE NOT.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 76

FtM transgenders, black men, and Jews are blurred lines that are reasonable then?

How can white people be banned when white people gave her the job in the first place ?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Aj12
I don't feel these issues are solved at all. Racism is still an issue in our society, I fully understand that. But as I have been saying throughout this thread, trying to combat that through further segregation is not that answer.

Yes historically white people have been oppressors, that is obvious. However in our society today white people as a whole are not. Racism is still an issue but you cannot frame this as one of white people as a group against black people as a group. If that was the case we would have a legal system of discrimination, but we don't because the majority of the population are horrified by rampant racism.

I would hardly say black people are poor because of white oppression in this country. The fact that poor white children often do worse in school compared to other minority groups in similar situations should testify to this. Take a poor white person and a poor black person, I doubt you will find much of a difference, other than skin colour.

Lets assume you are correct. That everything you say is true and black people are the victim of a subtly racist society. Why is the solution to this the formation groups and meetings explicitly banning white people? If everything you say is true then the issue here is a lack of integration between white people and black people. Why is the solution to further exacerbate the issue by creating an environment in which minority groups feel they have to form associations designed to protect them from the mere presence of white people.

Explain that one to me.

She did not come in saying "I'm gonna have this meeting and you white ppl are not coming in, and there is nothing you white people can do about it. You white people are not going to stop me because I can ban you and there is nothing you white people can do to stop me"

Now if she would have came like that, then all the people, may have a point. But the truth is white people at Goldsmiths uni can shut this down IN A MINUTE

She got the job at Goldsmiths uni, most likely because a panel of white people gave her the nod

And when you lot at TSR are discussing this site : How many black people are at the table ? ZERO

The funny thing, i this meeting, she is most likely not doing ANYTHING that will have any serious impact on white people lives as whole.

However there are meetings in boardrooms up and down the UK, which are de-facto white which will affect black peoples lives as a whole.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by timthumbs300

Explain that one to me.

She did not come in saying "I'm gonna have this meeting and you white ppl are not coming in, and there is nothing you white people can do about it. You white people are not going to stop me because I can ban you and there is nothing you white people can do to stop me"

Now if she would have came like that, then all the people, may have a point.

But she never. She got the job at Goldsmiths uni, most likely because a panel of white people gave her the nod

And when you lot at TSR are discussing this site : How many black people are at the table ? ZERO

There are meetings, debates in offices, boardrooms up and down the UK, which are de-facto white. But that's cool with you

I don't think anyone here would be OK with companies declaring that they will only accept white candidates for their boards.

Latest

Trending

Trending