The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Really? In the US? Wow... I would have never thought.
Reply 41
ebonyphoenix
Really? In the US? Wow... I would have never thought.

:confused:
Reply 42
it certainly happens. i know kids who, once they've been accepted, let their grades totally tank and then their acceptances get rescinded. this one kid a few years ago was accepted to columbia and he was planning on going then his grades dropped dramatically and his acceptance was rescinding.

granted, unless your grades really drop (meaning, from an A to a C), you don't have to be really worried. if you go from an A to an A- or a B to a B-, it's not a huge deal. just make sure you continue working after you're accepted, or else your college will think poorly of you (and rescind their acceptance), and think poorly of your school for years to come.
I applied for Physics to:

MIT
Harvard
Princeton

With a 2310 on my SATs. I was also accepted at Cambridge.
Reply 44
menzoberranzen
I applied for Physics to:

MIT
Harvard
Princeton

With a 2310 on my SATs. I was also accepted at Cambridge.

Congratulations on your Cambridge offer and SAT score.

Small question-- why do you prefer St Andrews over MIT/Harvard/Princeton in your signature?
I dont like the liberal arts style of education and I REALLY love Britain. If I got a full scholarship to both MIT and St. Andrews it would be a tough decision, but my chances are much better at St. Andrews.
menzoberranzen
I dont like the liberal arts style of education and I REALLY love Britain. If I got a full scholarship to both MIT and St. Andrews it would be a tough decision, but my chances are much better at St. Andrews.

choosing St.Andrews over those Unis?

god some of you Americans really have no clue do you!

atleast chose Durham instead..its way better!
Yes, we really are all clueless in a hole. Americans.
Reply 48
lol, no. But what is it with you guys and St Andrews? I've met a fair few Americans who seem to think that it is the best uni in the UK behind Oxbridge, and that really, really is not the case.
I'm Canadian and I realize the differences between St. Andrews and my other choices. However, given the financial aspect my best chances lie with St. Andrews and I would prefer not to suffer the disappointment of declining an offer from Harvard because of money. St. Andrews is still an excellent university, even if it is not on par with oxbridge and the Ivy League. I did consider London and, frankly, the names Warwick and Durham are all but unheard of here.
And can you British folks not understand sarcasm? I thought you guys invented it!?
menzoberranzen
I'm Canadian and I realize the differences between St. Andrews and my other choices. However, given the financial aspect my best chances lie with St. Andrews and I would prefer not to suffer the disappointment of declining an offer from Harvard because of money. St. Andrews is still an excellent university, even if it is not on par with oxbridge and the Ivy League. I did consider London and, frankly, the names Warwick and Durham are all but unheard of here.

Are you applying for the Ransome scholarship? We'll be in competition, I'm afraid. Good luck with your applications and such. Are outside scholarships availiable for Canadians to the extent they are for Americans? I know FastWeb is a great resource for Americans; do you Canadians have anything like that?
abrp
im not British!

@menzoberranzen..will you be working in UK? if so Warwick + Durham would be better choice.

if not then fine..go with St.Andrews.

just like SOAS is apparently v.famous in CHina.

OH sorry about that! *feels stupid*
I eventually plan on working in London but that will be after I get my Ph.D; by which time the university where I got my undergrad will not matter.

@ebnonyphoenix

I am applying for the ransome scholarships but also for the McEuen Scholarship (only for Canadians)
Reply 54
You know, I noticed that people who are kinda "dissatisfied" with their own country and schools always want to immigrate, like some Americans want to go to Europe. But the thing is: we Europeans all want to go to America !!!

Or at least, the Dutch people in my class want to leave Holland AS SOON AS POSSIBLE (including me), and we are watching thousands of Americans coming to Europe, lol... We can't understand why... There is nothing to do here. Europe is in our eyes a place to live when you're old, but not when you're young and want to see the world. It seems as if people always think other countries are better if they are dissatisfied with their own. I doubt whether it's always the case.
SOAS is well known in China? Who told you this.
Reply 56
At least i never heard about SOAS when i was in China. lol
Imo, chinese people generally tend to know more about the famous ones, e.g ive league, oxbrige, ucl, lse, imperial...
Reply 57
ebonyphoenix
When you apply to US unis, you are submitting a transcript of grades from freshman to mid senior year of high school, SAT scores, and occassionally, AP scores. There is no such thing as a conditional offer; all offers are based on past qualifications and unconditional. The only way your acceptance would be revoked is if you failed a class your second semester of senior year or committed a criminal offense.

OH and please don't spend a whole summer revising for SATs... in the long haul, it's really counterproductive. I would advise you to work on your essays, intern, read literature, or even go party before I would recommend slaving away with the SAT prep book.

yeah. no point in prepping, because if you can't make a 1300+ without studying, then you're an idiot anyway.

and they are mainly unconditional, but watch out for scholarship money! MY scholarship says i need to maintain my outstanding academic performance and has essentially scared me straight into straight A's :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending