The Student Room Group

No one wants to hire me!

I finished university in December with a CertHE and have been applying for at least one job a day - usually more - ever since. I've had my CV and Cover Letter looked over professionally. Throughout college and university I was also applying for part-time jobs but not as frequently.

Out of all of the jobs I've applied for I have had two interviews. Both jobs said they would have liked experience.

I've contacted about a million (slight exaggeration) companies asking for work experience and/or volunteering or shadowing opportunities but all have said no, or not replied at all. I've even applied for apprenticeships but they pay less and I have been rejected for them, too, as I'm over 19.

Since leaving university I've passed two level 2 short courses. I'm considering finishing my degree via the open uni so I can work around it.

How can I get hired?! Or, has anyone got a job they want to give me?
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Earn through YouTube? I'm sure it's possible now.
I'll admit finding a job is hard but it's not impossible. Try to apply for even temp jobs as it will build up experience since no one ever has time to train new staff. Good Luck
Reply 3
How many hours a day do you spend in finding a job?
I would probably look at at least 7.5-8 hours a day in looking.
Make it a full time job to find a job and you may see better results.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Have you considered going back to university? You already have some qualifications so you still have a lot of options! :-)
Reply 5
Wait so they will only give you two more years of student finance if you do a new course?
That was my idea, but the temping agencies I went to said that because temps should be able to go straight in and do stuff, I'd need more experience.... it's so annoying!

haha the whole need experience to get experience cycle.
What do you mean?
Could you not volunteer in a charity shop to get some retail experience? Once you have some experience it'll be so much easier to find a job.

For all of your jobs, seeing as you're rejected outright, is your application up to scratch? I know you said you've had your CV looked over, but for a lot of jobs nowadays you have to take online tests/questionnaires. Are you performing well in these?
Do a digital marketing apprenticeship. Some pay really well. You still have time since you're not over 24.

Also what is your CV like? Getting rejected from every job can't be good. Since you're also applying for entry positions, I assume your CV will need updating.

Remember to also apply for internships and positions at startups too.

Also a little tip for those looking for a job online. Once a day, put your CV on the job sites, take it down then put it back up again.

Your CV goes to the top of the pile when recruiters are looking for candidates who match their criteria. You may even get a few calls on the same day. :tongue: worked for me and a couple of friends I know.
Are you just applying online? If so it's no wonder you're not getting a job with very little experience. Finding a job through an online application is almost always more competitive due to the ease at which people can find, and apply, for the job. Even standard retail jobs will get plenty of applicants, who ultimately, are better equipped to do the job than you.

You need to get out there, spend every day handing CVs out. You can show people why they should hire you much easier in person. Be confident, polite, well presented and persistent. If a company says they're recruiting when you take a CV in after a week or so check back in and express your interest again. Looking overly keen is always better than not looking keen at all.

Other than that I'd say you need to do some voluntary work. Anything customer facing will do if you're applying for customer facing roles. Doesn't matter if you're working in a bar, a coffee shop, a charity shop, the skills required are the same for each.

Anyway, good luck, I can imagine you're feeling very frustrated at the minute.
Hi,

Sorry to hear that! It must be so frustrating trying to get your foot on the job ladder! Have you ever considered a job within the British Army? There a hundreds of roles available, some will require a degree while others will require no qualifications at all. May I ask what qualifications you have already got and do you have any idea in the type of career path that you would like to follow?

Regards
ArmyJobs
(edited 3 years ago)
I'd give temping a second chance.

Not every job has a prerequisite of knowing what to do
same its a joke, having a degree doesn't mean **** either unless you get on a grad scheme however I'm at uni second year would like to leave , my ideal job is to be a estate agent with the major organisation but they dont seem to even look at my application depsite me having all relevant qualifications and more, experience in sales and office, admin , a desire to actually join the industry but nope nope nope!!!! i assume maybe its my age, but i will look for other things and still attempt to break in the industry at a later date, i can only suggest you never give up, or take things too personally our generation is just stuck with a crappy job market. good luck
(edited 3 years ago)
I don't know how big a city you live in, but once a week really isn't enough. I appreciate money is an issue but you could walk into town? Or find £10 a week to pay for five returns on the bus. Getting a job like you are attempting to get is all about timing. For one of my jobs they put an advert online, I replied within twenty minutes, interviewed an hour later and was given the job. Was I the best candidate they would have got to apply for them if they've waited? No, probably not. However, I was obviously keen, ticked enough boxes, and could start working tomorrow.

People called me lucky for getting that job, but it's because I was spending every minute on job boards when I wasn't in town handing CVs out.

Also, I'd be less cocky about your CV and online application writing style. Clearly there is an issue with your CV or the way you answer questions, or you'd have at least been given some interviews. Online applications require different writing skills to writing creatively.
There's your problem. If you were Polish, you'd be out in those fields fruit picking, moaning about all the lazy British people.
(edited 3 years ago)
If you are healthy enough to do admin or work in a farm shop you are healthy enough to sit and weave a basket or peel some potatoes. Fruit picking will build up some muscles on you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Relocate to Wales.
Have you thought about self-employment? If you're struggling to find work through an employer it might be worth considering it as an option.

Do you have any hobbies that you could make money from? It doesn't have to be a big earner, just something that would pay the bills while you look for something more permanent.

Or even any skills that you could offer as a freelancer, you mentioned you passed some courses on Marketing and Business/Admin, so there might be some small companies or individuals who might need some marketing or administrative help for a short term. There's a lot of online boards where people list services they need/have on a freelance basis.
Without meaning to be rude, I find it difficult to believe that no where is accepting volunteers in the 4/5 months you've been looking for jobs. I mentioned charity shops because they're always looking for volunteers, and if you live in a decent sized town they'll probably be quite a few. They don't even require any qualifications/experience etc., just a willing volunteer.

Latest

Trending

Trending