The Student Room Group

Best universities for IR and International Studies??

Wich are the best universities for an MA/Msc in IR or International studies?

I'd prefer unis outside of London, but am also considering the ones in it.

My backgroud:

I have a Law degree (undergrad) from a small university in Brazil.
My grades percentage is 90%
I don't have work experience
Got high marks on Toefl and ielts

(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

St Andrews, LSE, Cambridge, Oxford

IR at St Andrews is its flagship course, LSE, Cambridge and Oxford are also good in the field as well.
Reply 2
LSE, Oxford, St Andrews, Sussex, Warwick, Edinburgh

It really depends on your concentrations within IR.
Reply 3
Add in Kings for War Studies.
Reply 4
Original post by Tcannon
LSE, Oxford, St Andrews, Sussex, Warwick, Edinburgh

It really depends on your concentrations within IR.

I am not sure on my concentrations yet... I want to go for a diplomatic career back in Brazil... Not sure what to focus for it :frown:
Reply 5
If diplomatic career is your goal, consider modules in foreign policy, security and policy analysis. Have you considered US programs? McCourt, SAIS, WWS, Jackson, HKS, SIPA
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Bruna27
I am not sure on my concentrations yet... I want to go for a diplomatic career back in Brazil... Not sure what to focus for it :frown:

Will the name of the university be important for that? Thinking for example that while somewhere like Warwick is very highly regarded within the UK it's not very well known outside of it. Oxford has a master's that focuses more on diplomacy I think, might that be better for you than IR?
Original post by Bruna27
Wich are the best universities for an MA/Msc in IR or International studies?

I'd prefer unis outside of London, but am also considering the ones in it.

My backgroud:

I have a Law degree (undergrad) from a small university in Brazil.
My grades percentage is 90%
I don't have work experience
Got high marks on Toefl and ielts

The unanimous top five is probably Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, KCL and St. Andrews, followed by Edinburgh and Warwick, and then maybe Aberystwyth, SOAS and Sussex. Depends on your interests really: all those departments have world-leading faculty in one area or another. The first seven also benefit from brilliant university reputations, and Cambridge/Oxford, Edinburgh and possibly London are some of the best cities in the UK.

If I were to redo my PhD applications, my preferences would be:

1. St. Andrews
2. Edinburgh
3. Cambridge
Oxford, Cambridge, Warwick, LSE, UCL, Imperial, St Andrews. The best/ hardest universities to get into, however, they are the most prestigious, and utterly the strongest in the UK.
Reply 9
I would definitely say go for: Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial and Warwick.
They are the best in the UK!
Reply 10
Original post by ShafTJB
Oxford, Cambridge, Warwick, LSE, UCL, Imperial, St Andrews. The best/ hardest universities to get into, however, they are the most prestigious, and utterly the strongest in the UK.

Original post by ZSK2014
I would definitely say go for: Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial and Warwick.
They are the best in the UK!

Imperial? For IR? Really? :facepalm:

And this is the problem with asking advice on TSR ...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sj27

Original post by sj27

I was speaking on a general basis. I applied for two different courses, Economics at LSE and Engineering at UCL and Wwick. All unconditional. So it is possible that the person, who is making this post, may consider doing the same- and if it is science related then they have Imperial to choose. Don't make idiotic judgements without understanding- because I doubt you have a PhD in Literature.
LSE, Warwick, UCL are great for such a course.
Original post by sj27

ShafTJB and ZSK2014 have just been going on every thread saying Warwick and Imperial are the best for everything, especially the arts...:rolleyes:
Reply 14
Original post by ShafTJB
I was speaking on a general basis. I applied for two different courses, Economics at LSE and Engineering at UCL and Wwick. All unconditional. So it is possible that the person, who is making this post, may consider doing the same- and if it is science related then they have Imperial to choose. Don't make idiotic judgements without understanding- because I doubt you have a PhD in Literature.

You don't need a PhD in anything to read the title of the thread. It's not "general" at all. The only thing that strikes me as "idiotic" is telling people to do courses at universities that don't actually offer them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sj27
You don't need a PhD in anything to read the title of the thread. It's not "general" at all. The only thing that strikes me as "idiotic" is telling people to do courses at universities that don't actually offer them.

I don't think they are trying to give advice, they clearly don't care enough about the OP's question to even bother answering it properly.
Imperial is great for the arts, English, History, can't get better than that!
Reply 17
Original post by ShafTJB
Imperial is great for the arts, English, History, can't get better than that!

:troll:

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/Faculties-and-departments/
I love TSR Drama. But I get ShafTJB and ZSKs point. There is a slight possibility that one may want to apply for different courses.
Well, I guess, ShafTJBs point, haven't seen ZSK2014 respond yet

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending