The Student Room Group

How long?

How long after ending a relationship, do you think it is 'socially acceptable' to start another relationship?
Reply 1
I would say as soon as you feel ready to start dating again which could be any time but as to what society would deem as acceptable? I would probably say 6 months+ after your break up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Spock's Socks
I would say as soon as you feel ready to start dating again which could be any tine but as to what society would deem as acceptable? I would probably say 6 months+ after your break up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah. I agree tbh
-1 day
I'd say it depends how the original relationship ended. My rule of thumb would be 2-3 months, but that's if it was breaking up with someone you'd had a genuinely great relationship with and you're both sad that it's ended. I imagine the hurting would continue past 2-3, but by the 3rd month I'd be saying "Come on, it's time to start moving on."

However, if you broke up with someone because they cheated on you or something? Seconds. Even if it's just a revenge relationship (not that I condone these), I'd still consider it socially acceptable to not even wait a minute before showing them "Duck you, I'm moving on. You don't deserve my sadness."
Original post by Adipoptosis
-1 day

bahaha
I would say as soon as you feel ready to start dating again which could be any tine but as to what society would deem as acceptable? I would probably say 6 months+ after your break up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

6 months **** that. I'd be at the nightclub that night or whatever. No point getting emotional bout it
Original post by esjae
How long after ending a relationship, do you think it is 'socially acceptable' to start another relationship?
Whatever you feel comfortable with. It really is no-one else's business but your own.

You are fully entitled to date others whenever YOU feel ready.

However, it's advisable to take a break after the end of a long relationship to allow yourself time to restore your self confidence and establish yourself as an independent person once again. After that, any new relationship can be enjoyed by both parties without the hindrance of emotional baggage.

How long that takes will be down to your resilience.
Reply 7
Original post by esjae
Yeah. I agree tbh

I think it also depends on how long you were going for as well why the relationship ended. If it were just casual or you only dated for a few months then I doubt many people would bat an eyelid if you got into a new relationship instantly but if it were a long term relationship, I think people would be expecting you to wait a while longer before trying another relationship.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
So what if the relationship just fizzled out and the guy wanted a break because he 'needed time and space' and he then went on a date with another girl?
Reply 9
I think it also depends on how long you were going for as well why the relationship ended. If it were just casual or you only dated for a few months then I doubt many people would bat an eyelid if you got into a new relationship instantly but if it were a long term relationship, I think people would be expecting you to wait a while longer before trying another relationship.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I agree with everything you said tbh
I kinda posted something relevant to what you were saying a few posts up aha
Reply 10
Original post by uberteknik
Whatever you feel comfortable with. It really is no-one else's business but your own.

You are fully entitled to date others whenever YOU feel ready.

However, it's advisable to take a break after the end of a long relationship to allow yourself time to restore your self confidence and establish yourself as an independent person once again. After that, any new relationship can be enjoyed by both parties without the hindrance of emotional baggage.

How long that takes will be down to your resilience.

I agree wholeheartedly especially about the self confidences - as that's something I struggle with.
Whenever you feel ready.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending