The Student Room Group

Are You Beach Body Ready?

Anyone seen these Protein World adverts?
Attachment not found

People have started to alter them.
These two bloggers recently posed by the poster in their bikinis.

What do you think about this? I think the girls posing alongside the poster are sharing a great message about body image and how we perceive women.

#eachbodysready

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Suzanne123
Anyone seen these Protein World adverts?
Attachment not found

People have started to alter them.
These two bloggers recently posed by the poster in their bikinis.

What do you think about this? I think the girls posing alongside the poster are sharing a great message about body image and how we perceive women.

#eachbodysready

There is a lot of pressure to look good nowadays but as long as you are healthy then your body is good and will look good to people :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
When I first saw these ads appearing on the Underground I thought they were a bit exploitative.

I often think people overreact to this kind of thing, but in this case I'm on the side of the people expressing their objections. It's pretty insulting to be told (perhaps shouted at, in this case) that you're not good enough to go to the beach unless you look a certain way.

If the advert emphasised health rather than body image or weight loss, I'd be less inclined to object.
Um no.

(eating ma cookie whilst typing this tbh) :mmm:
Remove the bikini girl and it means nothing.
[But then again, PW are laughing all the way to the bank as they exploit people's insecurities]
It's only the fat people that are complaining...
I really don't see the problem with the advert.
Reply 7
Didn't see anything wrong with it - its obviously there to sell a product and not to be taken seriously. I think its a bit of an overreaction to say that they believe that some people aren't good enough to go to the beach. But thats just my opinion.
Fat people just mad they aren't fit.
(edited 9 years ago)
I think people are overreacting a bit- it's only an advert.
I think that it is being taken ott, to be honest no one really wants to see a size 18/20+ woman in a bikini anywhere whether on a beach or swimming pool etc. I don't see anything wrong with the pic of the girl in the advert on the underground
Reply 11
2/10 no meat on her I would not bang.
tight tight tight
I was just about to pick up another brownie. Thank you for reminding me that I should not break my diet even more than I did yesterday.

On to the billboard, I think it is quite distasteful. I know girls who hate wearing swimming costumes/bikinis just because they're not toned, or have do not have a flat stomach. It should be about promoting health, not aesthetics. In reality, having a flat stomach is incredibly hard for a lot of women, let alone a toned stomach. Having a body like the one on the billboard is firstly incredibly hard to achieve, secondly it is incredibly hard to maintain, and thirdly almost impossible for many women. I know it would hurt a lot of women that already have body issues, even if they are healthy.
Original post by drowzee
I was just about to pick up another brownie. Thank you for reminding me that I should not break my diet even more than I did yesterday.

On to the billboard, I think it is quite distasteful. I know girls who hate wearing swimming costumes/bikinis just because they're not toned, or have do not have a flat stomach. It should be about promoting health, not aesthetics. In reality, having a flat stomach is incredibly hard for a lot of women, let alone a toned stomach. Having a body like the one on the billboard is firstly incredibly hard to achieve, secondly it is incredibly hard to maintain, and thirdly almost impossible for many women. I know it would hurt a lot of women that already have body issues, even if they are healthy.

Boo hoo.
Original post by DiddyDec
Boo hoo.

If you are not going to respond to my point properly, don't bother. :wink:
I'm not sympathising with lazy people that complain they are fat, and don't do anything about it/eat excessively and don't exercise. I'm sympathising with women that do lead a healthy lifestyle, but still feel pressured/sad because they do not have a body like the one on the billboard.
Original post by drowzee

And you think the bodies of those male models in nearly all adverts that they are in are in anyway realistically possibly for a man who works full time and does anything other than sports in his recreational time?

Lol, nope.

I don't know why women seem to think this is solely a female issue; I apologise if you yourself don't, that wasn't necessarily addressed to you, but women in general.

Still, I also think the way people overreact to these sorts of things is quite ridiculous. Like, it's just a billboard, do you really ****ing think people are going to be like "woah, the billboard is right, I can't go the beach if I don't look like that?", no they won't and nobody even thinks that anyway.

Everyone is too concerned about how their own body looks to even start considering how somebody else's does...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TorpidPhil
And you think the bodies of those male models in nearly all adverts that they are in are in anyway realistically possibly for a man who works full time and does anything other than sports in his recreational time?

Lol, nope.

I don't know why women seem to think this is solely a female issue.

Still, I also think the way people overreact to these sorts of things is quite ridiculous. Like, it's just a billboard, do you really ****ing think people are going to be like "woah, the billboard is right, I can't go the beach if I don't look like that?", no they won't and nobody even thinks that anyway.

Everyone is too concerned about how their own body looks to even start considering how somebody else's does...

No I find the male equivalents to that billboard equally as distasteful, since the billboard is targeting women, I think it was appropriate to address this issue in regards to women.

I agree that some people overreact to these issues, but that does not mean they are not distasteful. The billboard isn't that big of a deal, there are bigger issues out there. I am merely pointing out that things such as the billboard, and many other advertisements etc. set unrealistic/had to achieve ideas to what bodies should look like, for men and women. I didn't say that the billboard itself says that no you can't go to the beach if you don't have a similar body, I said that I know girls that feel that they cannot dress in swim suits because of what they set they're standards to. This billboard is only showcasing that there is pressure out there for people to have perfectly toned, slim bodies (or muscular for men).
Original post by drowzee
No I find the male equivalents to that billboard equally as distasteful, since the billboard is targeting women, I think it was appropriate to address this issue in regards to women.

I agree that some people overreact to these issues, but that does not mean they are not distasteful. The billboard isn't that big of a deal, there are bigger issues out there. I am merely pointing out that things such as the billboard, and many other advertisements etc. set unrealistic/had to achieve ideas to what bodies should look like, for men and women. I didn't say that the billboard itself says that no you can't go to the beach if you don't have a similar body, I said that I know girls that feel that they cannot dress in swim suits because of what they set they're standards to. This billboard is only showcasing that there is pressure out there for people to have perfectly toned, slim bodies (or muscular for men).

Well I agree with all that.

However, do you think because of the above that such billboards should be illegal? Or at least collectively frowned upon? I mean, there's a reason why the people in them are perfect - it means nobody in the real world is good enough and therefore they buy the product no matter who or what they are. Rugby player or morbidly obese.

If you want to ban them though at what point do you draw the line? How athletic is too athletic and so on?
Reply 19
Original post by drowzee

Could swear ads are there to sell a product rather than dictate what people should look like. If stupid people think that all they need to do is buy the product rather than using it in conjuncture with a fit and healthy lifestyle then it's their own fault.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending