The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Which hall should i pick?

Hi!

I am an international student and i am struggling to pick a hall. I have heard of how ppl in lse are pretty antisocial and personally i am not a very outgoing person either. I do not wish to pick a hall that does not suit me and here i am asking for advice....

i am pretty quiet and i do not particularly enjoy clubbing but i do enjoy participating in organised events. I do not mind to self cater and would like to live as close to the campus as possible.

Currently my choices are:
1. high holborn
2. norththumberland
3. undecided

Any advice?

thanks in advance. :smile:
Original post by annanoon918
Hi!

I am an international student and i am struggling to pick a hall. I have heard of how ppl in lse are pretty antisocial and personally i am not a very outgoing person either. I do not wish to pick a hall that does not suit me and here i am asking for advice....

i am pretty quiet and i do not particularly enjoy clubbing but i do enjoy participating in organised events. I do not mind to self cater and would like to live as close to the campus as possible.

1. high holborn
2. norththumberland
3. undecided

Any advice?

It may not be a case of which hall you should pick as it could well be a case of what hall you get given. Some people have gotten their first choice hall but there are many who haven't. All of us Freshers will be in a similar position - new 'home' with strange people we have never met before so just enjoy it and try not to worry about what hall you get. There will always be an option to ask for a swap if you get somewhere that really doesn't suit you.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
It may not be a case of which hall you should pick as it could well be a case of what hall you get given. Some people have gotten their first choice hall but there are many who haven't. All of us Freshers will be in a similar position - new 'home' with strange people we have never met before so just enjoy it and try not to worry about what hall you get. There will always be an option to ask for a swap if you get somewhere that really doesn't suit you.

Bull. Sociability of halls varies massively. There will be an option to swap but the people at the more popular halls won't be very willing to give up their rooms.

Hi!

1. high holborn
2. norththumberland
3. undecided

Any advice?

thanks in advance.

High Holborn is very close to campus, but tends to attract a lot of workaholics who don't leave their rooms. Not true of all people there, of course, but if you're just at LSE to study it's ideal.
Northumberland? That's intercollegiate, right? I've heard it's ok, but I don't know much about as there's not so many LSE students there.
I'm confused, are you looking for a more quiet or more sociable hall? The more sociable ones, while they tend to have some students who are interested in clubbing, will also have students who are still sociable but not interested in that kind of lifestyle either.
Original post by annanoon918
Hi!

1. high holborn
2. norththumberland
3. undecided

Any advice?

Northumberland and High Holborn are really close to campus. Northumberland is 70% postgrad so that will make it a lot quieter. High Holborn is undergoing refurbishment this year I think? N. is very pretty and its a lot cheaper than HH which is ridiculously expensive esp. for the tiny rooms.
One thing to note is on Hallpad you can't mix 30 and 38 week contracts, so you can't apply for both Passfield and Northumberland in the same application.
Original post by blueconstellation
Bull. Sociability of halls varies massively. There will be an option to swap but the people at the more popular halls won't be very willing to give up their rooms.

I didn't say otherwise. I was trying to reassure the OP that all of the Frsshers, myself included, will be in a new place with new people and that she should try to enjoy and make the most of her stay.
Reply 5
Thank you for the reply :smile:

I have heard of how people in UoL are always spending a lot of their nights in the pub which I dont particularly enjoy at all. And i have heard of how people who dont join in this kinda life style could be hard to make friends and stuff. Friends of mine have been suggesting how social life in different halls can varies massively and i do not want to pick one that does not suits me: ie. those where people usually spend their night out in bars n pubs etc.

Basically I do not wanna be the ODD ONE OUT who do not join in activities where majority of ppl in that hall do enjoy.
ALso I do not wish to live in a hall where the majority of pll there is post grad since i thought it would be easier to fit in to a hall where the majority are first yr students.

So guess i am ruling out Northumberland (i dont know that its intercollegiate?- or else i would not have considered that in the fist place).

Which halls are provided for mainly first year students?

Thank you for the reply

I have heard of how people in UoL are always spending a lot of their nights in the pub which I dont particularly enjoy at all. And i have heard of how people who dont join in this kinda life style could be hard to make friends and stuff. Friends of mine have been suggesting how social life in different halls can varies massively and i do not want to pick one that does not suits me: ie. those where people usually spend their night out in bars n pubs etc.

Basically I do not wanna be the ODD ONE OUT who do not join in activities where majority of ppl in that hall do enjoy.
ALso I do not wish to live in a hall where the majority of pll there is post grad since i thought it would be easier to fit in to a hall where the majority are first yr students.

So guess i am ruling out Northumberland (i dont know that its intercollegiate?- or else i would not have considered that in the fist place).

Which halls are provided for mainly first year students?

Please don't worry too much. Although each hall has a reputation, there will be a wide variety of people within each hall who are into different activities. I haven't heard what you said about UoL before but my UoL friends don't tend to be like that. My advice would be to choose a more sociable hall like Saunders, Rosebery or Passfield and during freshers you'll find people who aren't that interested in drinking or going out clubbing but are still interested in making new friends and doing other things together (like what I am, for the most part).

All halls that are for undergrads give first years priority - the number of second and third years will be very small in every hall.
Reply 7
How about Roseberry?

No ensuite but it has
Kitchen
Catered Meals
Very sociable

My son has chosen the above but was surprised he got his first choice despite being from London

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending