The Student Room Group

Positive things about Islam?

There are many flaws of Islam but what do you think are the positive aspects?

pls no sarcasm lads

Scroll to see replies

inb4 'there are no flaws of Islam'
Sufism! I love love loooooooooooove Sufism! If Hell didn't exist in Sufism I'd totally be a Sufi. :ahee:
It caused the development of a society that made great leaps in science and maths.
Reply 4
Original post by Vixen47
Sufism! I love love loooooooooooove Sufism! If Hell didn't exist in Sufism I'd totally be a Sufi. :ahee:

What do you like about it?
Reply 5
Original post by garfeeled
It caused the development of a society that made great leaps in science and maths.

not really
Reply 6
i suppose much islamic society has some simliar aspects to asian of being family orientated and respectful to elders - but i cant think of much else. as OP points it it has caused huge negatives on society and historically much conflict and bloodshed.
Original post by Chakede
not really

lol yes really - persian scientists were one of the firsts that used plants to create medicinal drugs which then led to modern world medicine today. Before this, people in Britain were using rather unusual cures for diseases :/
Reply 8
Original post by garfeeled
The leaps would probably have been greater if the Persian and Indian cultures were not subsumed by expanding Islam.
Reply 9
Original post by QE2
The leaps would probably have been greater if the Persian and Indian cultures were not subsumed by expanding Islam.

Why? How does Islam restrict science?
So many bad stuff seem to outweigh the good.
Original post by Protégé
Why? How does Islam restrict science?

It doesn't :smile:
Original post by Protégé
There are many flaws of Islam but what do you think are the positive aspects?

pls no sarcasm lads

As-salamu-Alaykum, which means "peace be unto you".

Is a "positive" greeting.
Reply 13
Original post by German123
So many bad stuff seem to outweigh the good.

I think it's more to do with the fact that Islam is meant to be perfect and absolute, even one mistake or contradiction topples the whole ideology.

Original post by ThatGurl
It doesn't :smile:

Well, let's see what he has to say.

Original post by Maradiah
As-salamu-Alaykum, which means "peace be unto you".

Is a "positive" greeting.

I always found that quite interesting, do any other cultures or religions besides Islam and Judaism use a positive greeting like that regularly?
Original post by ThatGurl
lol yes really - persian scientists were one of the firsts that used plants to create medicinal drugs which then led to modern world medicine today. Before this, people in Britain were using rather unusual cures for diseases :/

no not really :rolleyes: - this had nothing to do with islam was the point. the early muslims didnt know how to count, didnt understand science and the quran was no help in this respect. they 'inherited' persian scientists by conquest - educated people who had studied maths and science books from india, china and ancient greece for many years before islam. this is why it became big in the islamic world, not becuase of islam. the early quran didnt have numbers because islam didnt understand or promote the use of them - numbering verses chapters etc was added later - look it up.

and btw 'persian plant medicine' was not the first - india ayurveda is waaay older and deemed the founding principle of diagnostic medicine as well as some of the first hospitals and surgical practices
(edited 8 years ago)
I always found that quite interesting, do any other cultures or religions besides Islam and Judaism use a positive greeting like that regularly?

Shalom- means peace.
The main positives are Jihadism and Sharia Law :smile:
Original post by Protégé
I think it's more to do with the fact that Islam is meant to be perfect and absolute, even one mistake or contradiction topples the whole ideology.

Well, let's see what he has to say.

If you say so.
It puts women in their place. That's about it.
Original post by Chakede
not really

Original post by QE2

I agree islam has resulted in the destruction/prevention of some major discoveries and the destruction of casts amounts of culture but the thread is about the positives. Granted this is a bit of a weak postive given that pretty much every successful empire has advanced science in some way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending