The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zürich
Yeah would improve us mainly for the calmness and big game mentality that Cech brings. He's declined a bit since his peak in terms of reflexes I feel but you dont lose those attributes. Ospina is garbage imo and Szcz might learn how a professional GK behaves from Cech as well :smile:

Chelsea would get a good price in £10m for a keeper you dont need as well tbh. Not allowing myself to believe it could happen though

Yeah Ospina is trash, such a fraud, can't save long shots and aerially is ****, he's a colombian Shay Given.

I think Mourinho would do a deal, if he wanted to raise funds somewhere else. I think it depends on how much of a threat he sees you guys and how much of a threat Cech going to you guys would improve.
Original post by jam277
Yeah Ospina is trash, such a fraud, can't save long shots and aerially is ****, he's a colombian Shay Given.

I think Mourinho would do a deal, if he wanted to raise funds somewhere else. I think it depends on how much of a threat he sees you guys and how much of a threat Cech going to you guys would improve.

Shay Given used to always have 10/10 games vs AFC because we didnt cross, take long shots or try to get at him physically. Remember one game in 2007 when I really thought the guy was world class as he swatted away our neat little curlers, only later clocked his weaknesses. Ospina got away with murder for the Monaco game as well, he cost us the tie imo. Absolute ****.

We'll see. Hopefully it's out of Mou's hands really. Guy wouldnt even give us Demba ****ing Ba on loan never mind Cech :laugh:
Mourinho wouldn't sell Wenger a virus, so I don't think there's any possibility of Arsenal signing Cech.

Why he'd sell to us is equally strange though, we'll spend big in the summer and will be threatening his title, so why on earth would he strengthen us? Cech is quality and still has years left in him, we signed VDS when he was slightly older. It's pretty reasonable these days to expect a keeper to last until they turn 40, whether he'll still be good enough for us by then is another matter.

Original post by TornadoGR4
Haven't checked this for weeks, are you lot #VanGaalIn or #VanGaalOut now?

After that speech on Tuesday i'm firmly in the ''in'' camp. I think that he finally acknowledges that this season has not been good enough, and that he will be taking serious measures in order to have us challenging for the league next season. 4th place is not acceptable for Manchester United and never will be, so it's good to see the players all come out and say that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Lloris>Cech>>>Valdes

I do like Valdes, but I just can't rate/trust him right now, not with our defence.
Original post by sr90
Mourinho wouldn't sell Wenger a virus, so I don't think there's any possibility of Arsenal signing Cech.

Why he'd sell to us is equally strange though, we'll spend big in the summer and will be threatening his title, so why on earth would he strengthen us? Cech is quality and still has years left in him, we signed VDS when he was slightly older. It's pretty reasonable these days to expect a keeper to last until they turn 40, whether he'll still be good enough for us by then is another matter.

After that speech on Tuesday i'm firmly in the ''in'' camp. I think that he finally acknowledges that this season has not been good enough, and that he will be taking serious measures in order to have us challenging for the league next season. 4th place is not acceptable for Manchester United and never will be, so it's good to see the players all come out and say that.

he gave us mata...why not cech? probably thinks cech is crap/off the boil the same way he didnt rate matas defensive work
Original post by scrawlx101
he gave us mata...why not cech? probably thinks cech is crap/off the boil the same way he didnt rate matas defensive work

Not really. It's because Courtois had 2 years left on his contract, he couldn't be re-loaned back to Atlético as he had already been there for three years so it would have to be a permanent transfer, while there were little to no signs of Cech's performance declining, but we had a keeper who was worth 30M and could play for about 10 years minimum in our ranks so Jose put him as no.1.

We needed Courtois to sign the contract so we decided to start him every game until he signed it. Had we just started Cech we would have had a similar situation to that of De Gea, where Madrid would come calling for the keeper.

It's not that Jose didn't rate him, but because we simply had somebody better in our ranks.
Oh so Cech's name is being bandied about? Valdes is a good shot stopper I would put him in and then if he's dodgy buy someone in January
Why don't we try to sign Bernd Leno from Bayer Leverkusen?

He is a fantastic talent. Almost De Gea Type. Poor with long passing and better at shot saving.
http://www.whoscored.com/Players/92173/
Original post by jam277
Not really. It's because Courtois had 2 years left on his contract, he couldn't be re-loaned back to Atlético as he had already been there for three years so it would have to be a permanent transfer, while there were little to no signs of Cech's performance declining, but we had a keeper who was worth 30M and could play for about 10 years minimum in our ranks so Jose put him as no.1.

We needed Courtois to sign the contract so we decided to start him every game until he signed it. Had we just started Cech we would have had a similar situation to that of De Gea, where Madrid would come calling for the keeper.

It's not that Jose didn't rate him, but because we simply had somebody better in our ranks.

Are you saying Courtois is better than Cech?
Original post by 0lut0
Are you saying Courtois is better than Cech?

From his time at Atlético, yes.
This season, bar a few mistakes which being a young keeper in a more physical league like the prem you'd expect him to make, he's been just as good as Cech, maybe a little inconsistent but his aerial ability is better than Cechs, possibly the best in the world at claiming balls in the air(along with Neuer). Where he's lacking is his distribution on his feet and having a few cockups which has caused us to concede but considering how De Gea was when he was 22 and having a season to acclimatise to the league(since Courtois was 22 for most of this season), Courtois will most likely be the better keeper of the two.
(edited 8 years ago)
Obvs Courtois is better than Cech.
Original post by scrawlx101

I don't think it's that Mourinho doesn't rate Cech, it's simply that Courtois is a better keeper and Cech is far too good to be benched.
Original post by jam277
From his time at Atlético, yes.
This season, bar a few mistakes which being a young keeper in a more physical league like the prem you'd expect him to make, he's been just as good as Cech, maybe a little inconsistent but his aerial ability is better than Cechs, possibly the best in the world at claiming balls in the air(along with Neuer). Where he's lacking is his distribution on his feet and having a few cockups which has caused us to concede but considering how De Gea was when he was 22 and having a season to acclimatise to the league(since Courtois was 22 for most of this season), Courtois will most likely be the better keeper of the two.

I don't understand how Courtois can be considered better than Cech?Quote me if i'm wrong when Cech was first signed around 2004 he broke a record for not conceading something like that, Curtois hasn't broke anything.Cech also has a better saving technique pulling his whole body to the ball rather than just using his arms and legs.
Head vs Head. Learn to beat **** teams next year and it'll be interesting.

Teams that have dropped the most points from winning positions. A.k.a the bottlers:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 0lut0
I don't understand how Courtois can be considered better than Cech?Quote me if i'm wrong when Cech was first signed around 2004 he broke a record for not conceading something like that, Curtois hasn't broke anything.Cech also has a better saving technique pulling his whole body to the ball rather than just using his arms and legs.

How is a record from 10 years ago relevant
Original post by Dirtybit
Head vs Head. Learn to beat **** teams next year and it'll be interesting.

Good point but tbf Chelsea took foot off the gas for Liverpool and Arsenal matches so you'd expect they should have at least 2 more points. We'll have to beat them once and likely get 4 points off them to win the league for me.
Courtois is top 3 in the world. Regardless of whether Cech was a beast before he's not going to get in the squad because of reputation. Especially from Jose.
Original post by 0lut0

Yeah that's Cech around 2004-05, he dipped in performance a little since then, he's still been a world class keeper but around 04-06 he was probably the best keeper in the world.

Courtois has that potential and Courtois' throwing from corners and his claims are second to nobody, his shot stopping is great, at Atlético it was more consistent than at Chelsea. Way I see it is that Courtois has his small errors sorted you'll have an amazing keeper in the ranks.
Original post by Depleted
Good point but tbf Chelsea took foot off the gas for Liverpool and Arsenal matches so you'd expect they should have at least 2 more points. We'll have to beat them once and likely get 4 points off them to win the league for me.

Under Fergie we'd usually beat the top sides at home and lose away (unless it was Arsenal). Van Gaal seems to have at least sorted the big game away problem out. Even in the games we didn't win we played very well, there's only City away where you can say that we deserved nothing.

If he can learnt to beat the **** teams then we'll be fine. Should spend all summer practicing how to break down buses.
Original post by sr90
Under Fergie we'd usually beat the top sides at home and lose away (unless it was Arsenal). Van Gaal seems to have at least sorted the big game away problem out. Even in the games we didn't win we played very well, there's only City away where you can say that we deserved nothing.

If he can learnt to beat the **** teams then we'll be fine. Should spend all summer practicing how to break down buses.

Tbf looks like he's working towards beating buses by looking for a combative number 8, someone like Gundogan who can carry the ball and will make runs from deep. A lot of that can be linked at the moment to the interlinking between the midfielders and the wingers, nobody makes runs into the box and central areas leaves the striker fairly isolated. Hopefully that'll change but Herrera could probably fill that role pretty well, Gundogan is a better fit though.

Latest