The Student Room Group

College Culture (America vs. Britain)

This is all from observations, so try not to jump down my throat if I have some misconceptions.

It seems to me that college life here in America is waaaay different from college life in Britain. From the kind of questions I see on this subforum, I'm lead to believe that college life in Britain is mostly about the work, and finishing when you can. People here tend to savor their four years of college as the best years of their life (high school too, to an extent). It also seems that there's more of a drinking culture involved here, along with frats, sororities, and all that business. College here is about finding who you are and what you want to do with your life, whereas by the time you get to college in Britain, you seem to know what you already want to do.

Am I wrong about this? If I am, what is college life in Britain really like?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Despite myself never having attended an american university I get the impression that college is more relaxed, just as general american culture is. In Britain people tend to be more traditionalist (at least at Oxford).
You have waaay more time in America to have fun. 4 years to finish your undergraduate studies = 4 years to finish your bachelor + masters in Britain. The workload at Oxford appears to be enourmous, and so unless you enroll in an Ivy school I doubt you will have the same amount of pressure in the States.
I'd love to study liberal arts, yet it is waaay more expensive than in Britain, and I would thus not be able to afford it.
I hate when people compare Oxford to all US universities. It's stupid.

I am American, did 6 months study abroad at Oxford, and am now doing a masters at LSE. I think UK undergrad is a lot more about drinking, but not in a structured way. Drinking is the focus of everything. I remember being in Oxford at clubs and bops and wanting to dance, meanwhile everyone else was falling down. At LSE there is Crush every Friday, huge party where the undergrads get trashed.

Anyway, I think UK undergrad could be fun, but it's not as fun as the US. There is Greek life and big sports events, they don't have anything like that in the UK. But I don't think UK students work harder, they don't have GPAs so they can slack off until exams and still do well.
Reply 3
shady lane i think you are most accurate. there is a greater drinking culture to student life in britain, it is the centre of EVERYTHING. the lower drinking age means we have been drinking alcohol, most of us anyways, for 2 or 3 years regularly before we get to university. then its just carnage.

hahaha at comparing oxford as the standard of british universities. i study at essex in britain, which is middle of the road in everything, and am currently doing a year at UCLA. and the work is FAR more demanding here. in england you can work for 2 weeks of the quarter, when the essays are due. in america, you have to study basically from the week before midterms to the end of the quarter.

american college life is more fun with regard to the sporting events, omg tailgating before the USC game was absolutely amazing. but undergraduate life in britian is more social, because it revolves around going out to clubs/bars all the time, not just frat parties. truth is, in my opinion, that british undergrads are so much more certain about themselves in every way imaginable than their american counterparts (Oxbridge/Harvard excluded).

i have experienced both, and am pleased to say that i prefer undergrad life in the uk.
Reply 4
And UCLA is a better university than essex too.
The way that America was descibred to me, which has largely been true was "lots more, easier work". whilst studying for midterms and finals were stressful, they didn't compare to final exams in England (unsuprisingly) whilst the work throughout the term was greater in volume but certainly not in difficulty. I think it probably helped me that I'd done solely geography last year, as opposed to people who might not be geography majors or who had done lots of GE classes.

It also seems that there's more of a drinking culture involved here,

Wrong wrong wrong wrong mc wrong.
Reply 5
You just have to log on and read the on-line versions of any the British newspaper to read about problems of students and drinking. Not just students but youth in general. I may be wrong but is seems as though in the UK everyone here drinks until their completely trashed (sometimes every night of the week) instead of just going out and having a good time.
With respect to work, I think it's individual. You can slack off or work your ass off in either system - your marks will reflect your effort.
Reply 6
From my Canadian experience, workload here is a lot greater than in the UK. Comparing 2nd year British classes to 3rd year Canadian classes, the difficulty is ~the same, but different in character. British exam questions may be more difficult and require deeper knowledge on a particular topic, but then British exams are characterised by CHOICE (I've never taken an exam in the UK without any kind of optional questions). Here, you just have to learn everything.

In addition, take a maths exam, for instance: in the UK, a good student should be able to get 70% right, but here, a good student should be able to get 85% right. Hence, the exam questions as such must be easier.

On drinking: Not drinking in the US is ok, apart from maybe in some middle-class dominated colleges. Not drinking in the UK is weird (I got so many questions about it last year). "Going to the pub" is a British cultural phenomenon. You can't deny it.
Reply 7
When I was 13 and very innocent(:p:) I went to England for the first time by myself to improve my english for the summer ,in Birmingham(actually I went back to that Mason Hall college other 3 summers)..I got shocked and actually scared because after midnight walking close to the college I could find so many drunk people..O.O..wow

Now, of course I am not that sure I will escape from the drinking phonomen studying at a british uni..:rolleyes:

Last year though, I was at high school in the States..in indiana..and even though of course most of my friends were underage..Well, I will just say that Both of the Countries have this problem..the only difference is that in the States..they do in an illegal way..in England they can go clubbing ;-)
Reply 8
shady lane
I hate when people compare Oxford to all US universities. It's stupid.

I am American, did 6 months study abroad at Oxford, and am now doing a masters at LSE. I think UK undergrad is a lot more about drinking, but not in a structured way. Drinking is the focus of everything. I remember being in Oxford at clubs and bops and wanting to dance, meanwhile everyone else was falling down. At LSE there is Crush every Friday, huge party where the undergrads get trashed.

Anyway, I think UK undergrad could be fun, but it's not as fun as the US. I was in a sorority and went to big sports events, they don't have anything like that in the UK. But I don't think UK students work harder, they don't have GPAs so they can slack off until exams and still do well.

But the standard for getting a 1st in UK undergraduate exams is much higher than the standard for getting an A on a US undergrad course. A US A is like a British 2.1. for undergraduates at least. Lots of Harvard academics say there is massive grade inflation there. More regular and consistent work at a lower level is hardly more academically impressive. At Oxford very few people get a 1st at the end of their degree. My Professor at LSE says she spends ages cleaning up the mess of the US system when people do their junior year abroad - she said a lot of Americans from good US colleges cannot after 2 years in the US system write a decent essay.

A British student can get a PhD in 6 years if they do not do a masters (which is unnecessary especially for an Oxbridge student with a 1st who can conceive of a research topic) - 7 if they do a masters. It takes an American arts student at Harvard 5 years on average just to do the AM-PhD. That is 9 years of study, and can easily be 10. 6-7 vs. 9-10. That is a huge difference. Maybe as my American professor at Oxford suggested to me American PhD's are more thorough. But is being more extensive to this degree being smarter? I really doubt it. And we should remember that you can get a top job in London with just a good 1st degree, a masters is unusual and anything beyond that is confined to people who want to become academics.
Reply 9
arkbar

The way that America was descibred to me, which has largely been true was "lots more, easier work".

That is exactly the conclusion of every person I know who has studied in both systems. But I think the difference is the most pronounced at high school, clearly apparent at undergraduate and least obvious for graduate studies. I think its a case of the Americans having to clean up the mess of their many poor quality high schools - applies to whatever level you want to compare Cheltenham Ladies vs. Andover or a state comprehensive in London vs. Boston public. And they don’t mind spend a long time over it for their undergraduate degrees because people are paying a lot of money to be their so long as they can afford to. American colleges are like businesses, they make money out of education, so no wonder they take such a long time over it.
pendragon
But the standard for getting a 1st in UK undergraduate exams is much higher than the standard for getting an A on a US undergrad course. A US A is like a British 2.1. for undergraduates at least. Lots of Harvard academics say there is massive grade inflation there. More regular and consistent work at a lower level is hardly more academically impressive. At Oxford very few people get a 1st at the end of their degree. My Professor at LSE says she spends ages cleaning up the mess of the US system when people do their junior year abroad - she said a lot of Americans from good US colleges cannot after 2 years in the US system write a decent essay.

A British student can get a PhD in 6 years if they do not do a masters (which is unnecessary especially for an Oxbridge student with a 1st who can conceive of a research topic) - 7 if they do a masters. It takes an American arts student at Harvard 5 years on average just to do the AM-PhD. That is 9 years of study, and can easily be 10. 6-7 vs. 9-10. That is a huge difference. Maybe as my American professor at Oxford suggested to me American PhD's are more thorough. But is being more extensive to this degree being smarter? I really doubt it. And we should remember that you can get a top job in London with just a good 1st degree, a masters is unusual and anything beyond that is confined to people who want to become academics.

News flash: LSE General Course (aka junior year abroad) is notorious for being the place where not-so-smart kids from the US go to boost their CVs. It's not the best and the brightest in that program by any stretch of the imagination.
shady lane
News flash: LSE General Course (aka junior year abroad) is notorious for being the place where not-so-smart kids from the US go to boost their CVs. It's not the best and the brightest in that program by any stretch of the imagination.

My Oxford college had a huge number of JYA's; they weren't the sharpest tools in the shed either. I suppose the smart ones must be hiding in the states?
I'm an American BA degree candidate at KCL, and although I don't have US undergraduate experience, I was educated for 12 years in the US system, and most of my American friends are in the US higher education system now.

I think that the UK undergrad students are somewhat more focused, but that fits in with electing to read for a particular degree and not having to mess around with the general ed requirements. In London, at least, many kids in the first year are more "adult", even if they live in halls, as IMO, dorm life in the USA is emphatically not independent living- it's like living in a rather expensive youth hotel where everything is laid on for you. You are expected, in London, to shift for yourself after 40 short weeks in halls. There is a big drinking culture in the UK, which I personally don't find particularly appealing, but it's definitely an omnipresent social glue.

In the UK, there are comparatively fewer social events, notably sports, although there are good clubs and societies in the UoL system. I think that, overall, UK university culture is more about the academic work. Kids can and do play around a lot in the first year, but it gets tougher as you progress in the degree. Typically, the weighting of a three year degree is: year 1: 1, year 2: 3, year 3: 5.

I agree with Pendragon- getting a 2.1 is basically equivalent to an undergraduate A grade.

Very interesting topic, zackinbaltimore- do you by any chance go to JHU?
global_warning
I'm an American BA degree candidate at KCL, and although I don't have US undergraduate experience, I was educated for 12 years in the US system, and most of my American friends are in the US higher education system now.

I think that the UK undergrad students are somewhat more focused, but that fits in with electing to read for a particular degree and not having to mess around with the general ed requirements. In London, at least, many kids in the first year are more "adult", even if they live in halls, as IMO, dorm life in the USA is emphatically not independent living- it's like living in a rather expensive youth hotel where everything is laid on for you. You are expected, in London, to shift for yourself after 40 short weeks in halls. There is a big drinking culture in the UK, which I personally don't find particularly appealing, but it's definitely an omnipresent social glue.

In the UK, there are comparatively fewer social events, notably sports, although there are good clubs and societies in the UoL system. I think that, overall, UK university culture is more about the academic work. Kids can and do play around a lot in the first year, but it gets tougher as you progress in the degree. Typically, the weighting of a three year degree is: year 1: 1, year 2: 3, year 3: 5.

I agree with Pendragon- getting a 2.1 is basically equivalent to an undergraduate A grade.

Very interesting topic, zackinbaltimore- do you by any chance go to JHU?

No way. Sorry. I have relatives that went to King's and I've seen their undergraduate work. A 2:1 at King's would have been much easier to get than an A at Stanford. Unless you are comparing KCL to a more equivalent university...Boston College maybe?
pendragon
My Oxford college had a huge number of JYA's; they weren't the sharpest tools in the shed either. I suppose the smart ones must be hiding in the states?

I didn't do JYA in Oxford, I did the Stanford program, which is competitive and you only apply against other Stanford students. I did meet a lot of dumb JYA kids in Oxford too, same thing. Unfortunately the best US universities don't have exchange students, otherwise it would be great for UK students to compare. UCLA is fine but I mean Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Princeton, etc.
shady lane
No way. Sorry. I have relatives that went to King's and I've seen their undergraduate work. A 2:1 at King's would have been much easier to get than an A at Stanford. Unless you are comparing KCL to a more equivalent university...Boston College maybe?

Instead of narrowing down the points in my post to my personal experience of a few brands, I was trying to make more general comments about higher education culture in the UK and in the USA. You don't have to apologize to me for suggesting that KCL doesn't rank as highly as your own institutions. I don't feel defensive about it and I'm happy with my course. In large part any degree, no matter where it is offered, is what you make of it, and that's as it should be. You do seem rather concerned, in this thread, and in others to which you have contributed, to emphasize the superiority of your own particular institutions almost in the expectation that your readers will fall into an awed silence. However, the topic is more about general UK- US university culture, unless I've misread it. I opened my post with an introduction about my experience in order to demonstrate that I have some knowledge of the topic and I'm not just shooting the breeze.
global_warning
Instead of narrowing down the points in my post to my personal experience of a few brands, I was trying to make more general comments about higher education culture in the UK and in the USA. You don't have to apologize to me for suggesting that KCL doesn't rank as highly as your own institutions. I don't feel defensive about it and I'm happy with my course. In large part any degree, no matter where it is offered, is what you make of it, and that's as it should be. You do seem rather concerned, in this thread, and in others to which you have contributed, to emphasize the superiority of your own particular institutions almost in the expectation that your readers will fall into an awed silence. However, the topic is more about general UK- US university culture, unless I've misread it. I opened my post with an introduction about my experience in order to demonstrate that I have some knowledge of the topic and I'm not just shooting the breeze.

You brought up academics when we were talking about partying. And you made the most ridiculous comparison between UK and US universities I have ever seen. If you didn't care about superiority you wouldn't have claimed a 2:1 = 4.0 when any American who has applied for grad school in the UK knows 2:1 = 3.3-3.6.

I go to LSE now, if I though UK education was bad I wouldn't be there.
Academics had already been introduced into the discussion- (posts 1,4,5,8,10...); I never claimed any GPA equivalents. I had individual assignments in mind when I compared a 2.1 to an A, but perhaps I didn't make that clear. I don't yet have the experience to pass an opinion about an entire degree classification. However, the topic isn't really about which uni is superior to which uni- that discussion is kind of a dead end in my opinion.
shady lane
I didn't do JYA in Oxford, I did the Stanford program, which is competitive and you only apply against other Stanford students. I did meet a lot of dumb JYA kids in Oxford too, same thing. Unfortunately the best US universities don't have exchange students, otherwise it would be great for UK students to compare. UCLA is fine but I mean Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Princeton, etc.

The program that all Americans do at Oxford is Oxford-lite. I did Summer School at Harvard and I am sure that was also Harvard-lite. But there is no way you are going to convince an Oxbridge graduate that our undergraduate degrees arent more intellectually demanding than the extended liberal arts American college 1st degrees.
pendragon
The program that all Americans do at Oxford is Oxford-lite. I did Summer School at Harvard and I am sure that was also Harvard-lite. But there is no way you are going to convince an Oxbridge graduate that our undergraduate degrees arent more intellectually demanding than the extended liberal arts American college 1st degrees.

Well there is an economics tutor in Magdalen that told me if I were an Oxford student, I'd be on track for a 1st. And my African History tutor from St. Ant's gave me insanely high marks, encouraged me to apply to Oxford for grad school, and wrote my recommendation that got me into LSE. So unless you think your academics enjoy lying, I'd say that although there is a lot of demanding work at Oxford, the marks I received for the quality of work I produced were much, much, higher than I was used to at Stanford.

I'm also doing very well at LSE right now, despite not working nearly as hard as some of my fellow coursemates. So maybe Stanford just gave me an awesome education.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending