The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Girton College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
I was pooled for mathematics and now have a double interview at Girton tomorrow. On the Cambridge admissions guide it says that mathematics with physics applicants will have 2 mathematics interviews and an additional interview. Do you think I will be asked about physics or not?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 381
were your physics questions syllabus based? or more another type of question? would be great to know. because ive had like 3 days knowing of this extra interview and have been travelling for 2 of them on a plane. thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RATKING
were your physics questions syllabus based? or more another type of question? would be great to know. because ive had like 3 days knowing of this extra interview and have been travelling for 2 of them on a plane. thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

They were Syllabus based concepts applied to more complicated situations than what you study now... Just go over what you have studied, so you know the basics :smile:
Reply 383
Original post by Movethemoon
They were Syllabus based concepts applied to more complicated situations than what you study now... Just go over what you have studied, so you know the basics :smile:

Oh okay thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 384
Original post by samd1885
Me too but for Economics :biggrin: Any idea of your offer yet? The email suggested it may be around a week before UCAS will be updated with the offer. Girton looks like a beautiful college, I'm really excited to be going there.

Still haven't heard what my offer will be, also never visited the college so not sure what its like

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can anyone tell me how posting to students at Girton works? I'm hoping to send my girlfriend something for valentines day next month and have no idea what way to go about it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 386
Original post by ImBadWithNames
Can anyone tell me how posting to students at Girton works? I'm hoping to send my girlfriend something for valentines day next month and have no idea what way to go about it

Posted from TSR Mobile

D'awww :smile: You just need to put her name and the college address and then she'll pick it up from the porter's lodge
Original post by Kysa
Hey guys, congratulations on your offers! And if you're in the pool, hang on in there!
I'm a first year veterinary medicine student at Girton - if anyone has any questions feel free to ask :smile:

I have a couple of questions if that would be okay. Was there a post-offer open day for Girton last year? And have you tried to walk in yet? I really want to know how long that takes, but Girton say half an hour and everyone else says about an hour. :tongue: Thank you! :smile:
Reply 388
Original post by SixteenHundred
I have a couple of questions if that would be okay. Was there a post-offer open day for Girton last year? And have you tried to walk in yet? I really want to know how long that takes, but Girton say half an hour and everyone else says about an hour. :tongue: Thank you! :smile:

I had an interview there the other day. I walked from the station to Girton (inbeteeen I stopped at Subway obviously). I wouldn't recommend it, but I was under the pressure to make sure I was on time and my phone died on me so I had no clue of the time..,

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RATKING
I had an interview there the other day. I walked from the station to Girton (inbeteeen I stopped at Subway obviously). I wouldn't recommend it, but I was under the pressure to make sure I was on time and my phone died on me so I had no clue of the time..,

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, from the station?! Someone at our interview day did that as well, crazy! I guess you made it on time, somehow? :tongue:
Reply 390

Hi, congrats on your English offer :biggrin: There wasn't a post-offer open day here last year, no. I had a subject based one, but I think that's uncommon.

I haven't actually walked in yet... Only ever walked back (but that's another story!). From friends who have though I'd say it takes about 45 minutes into town at a decent pace, probably a little longer to where your lectures would be though. I would definitely recommend cycling!
Reply 391
Wow, from the station?! Someone at our interview day did that as well, crazy! I guess you made it on time, somehow? :tongue:

Yes! Haha. I didn't realise how far it actually was until it was too late. But I got there on time with about 10 minutes to spare. However, I ended up entering the back of the college due to panic and confusion and so I walked around the grass to get to the front. Quite stressful but it was okay. Just waiting on the result now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RATKING
Yes! Haha. I didn't realise how far it actually was until it was too late. But I got there on time with about 10 minutes to spare. However, I ended up entering the back of the college due to panic and confusion and so I walked around the grass to get to the front. Quite stressful but it was okay. Just waiting on the result now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's definitely a story to tell when people ask about your interviews! Good luck and I hope you get the result soon!

Original post by Kysa
Hi, congrats on your English offer :biggrin: There wasn't a post-offer open day here last year, no. I had a subject based one, but I think that's uncommon.

I haven't actually walked in yet... Only ever walked back (but that's another story!). From friends who have though I'd say it takes about 45 minutes into town at a decent pace, probably a little longer to where your lectures would be though. I would definitely recommend cycling!

Thank you, and for answering the questions! Sounds like I'm going to have to dig out the bike then!
Reply 393

I used to run back from nights out and that took about 20 mins from the centre. Anything from a 10-20 min cycle to the centre depending how the lights go/how hard you cycle. I'd say about a 45min walk to sidgwick, or an hour to the centre, although if you know how fast you walk, google maps will probably give a better estimate for you.
Original post by Slumpy
I used to run back from nights out and that took about 20 mins from the centre. Anything from a 10-20 min cycle to the centre depending how the lights go/how hard you cycle. I'd say about a 45min walk to sidgwick, or an hour to the centre, although if you know how fast you walk, google maps will probably give a better estimate for you.

Oh right, might try jogging it if the weather's not too bad then. I live in the middle of nowhere so although I cycle country routes a lot, I've never cycled in a city or even on a remotely built up road before, so I guess I'm going to have to have a go at that. Thank you!
Original post by ImBadWithNames

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you google Girton, you will see the street address. I know it works because I used it to send my daughter stuff from amazon.
Reply 396
Hi! Can a student at Girton College please tell me what the student rooms are like? :smile: I haven't been able to find very many photos/much information, and I would love to know some more details about the rooms e.g. size, en-suite, windows, kitchen facilities etc. I have been offered a place at Girton for this fall, and I can't wait to start! :smile: Thanks a lot in advance!
Original post by Jelissa
Hi! Can a student at Girton College please tell me what the student rooms are like? :smile: I haven't been able to find very many photos/much information, and I would love to know some more details about the rooms e.g. size, en-suite, windows, kitchen facilities etc. I have been offered a place at Girton for this fall, and I can't wait to start! :smile: Thanks a lot in advance!

Hi, congrats on your offer! The student rooms vary a lot; you get allocated a room randomly and everyone pays the same rent. I had a tiny room in first year. But you might be lucky to get a slightly larger room. And if you get a bad room in first year, you have more chance of getting a nicer room in the next years (there are rooms with ensuites and massive rooms with sofas, which second and third years get). A kitchen (fridges, oven and hobs etc - better than most colleges) and bathroom (2 showers, toilets etc) are generally shared between around 15 people but it depends where you live. I never had to queue for the shower in first year and I shared a bathroom with about 20 people (english student though so I could get up at strange times).
Oh right, might try jogging it if the weather's not too bad then. I live in the middle of nowhere so although I cycle country routes a lot, I've never cycled in a city or even on a remotely built up road before, so I guess I'm going to have to have a go at that. Thank you!

Hiya,
First off, really sorry to bother you SixteenHundred, don't bother applying if you don't want to or are busy! :smile: But yeah, I've applied to Girton for English this year, as a post A-level applicant also. #GapYahLiving I really want to make my application as good as it can be basically and was wondering what the format of the interviews are? And is there any preparation you'd recommend? Feel free to PM me. I've got a decent application I think (A*A*A*) but yeah, all the tips/help you could offer would be so greatly appreciated you don't understand!!!! Thanks and sorry for bothering you again,
Btbbt xxxxxx
Original post by Btbbt
Hiya,
First off, really sorry to bother you SixteenHundred, don't bother applying if you don't want to or are busy! :smile: But yeah, I've applied to Girton for English this year, as a post A-level applicant also. #GapYahLiving I really want to make my application as good as it can be basically and was wondering what the format of the interviews are? And is there any preparation you'd recommend? Feel free to PM me. I've got a decent application I think (A*A*A*) but yeah, all the tips/help you could offer would be so greatly appreciated you don't understand!!!! Thanks and sorry for bothering you again,
Btbbt xxxxxx

Hey, awesome that you're applying to Girton! If it's the same as last year, there will be a test before the interview which will likely be a quick essay on a couple of poems, and you should expect to be shown more excerpts and poems in the interviews themselves for discussion. Try to remember that they really want you to prove that you were willing to read around the A-level syllabus - don't constantly refer back to what you've read at school as part of your course, especially as a gap year student - and just admit if you don't know something! The interviewers are all lovely and they aren't trying to catch you out, so if you lose your train of thought or say something completely nonsensical, save yourself some time and say so. Also, as you're on a year out, try to practise some timed essays beforehand so you're back in the swing of things.

EDIT: Don't worry too much about the structure of the interview. You'll be sent a brief note by the college with the invitation.

It sounds like you have a strong application so I hope that it goes well. I'm only in my second week here so it's a bit crazy at the moment, but if you have any other questions I'll do my best to help you out, though it may take me a while to get back to you. Good luck!
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending