The Student Room Group

Help me?

Hello TSR, I have a huge question that I want to ask and need some advice. When I got into secondary school everything was looking good. I had got into a grammar school and had a good group of friends. However, when I got into year 9 things started to change. I was at first a quiet person, and often felt that I sometimes allowed people to walk over me. But when I got into year 9, I stopped taking rubbish from people and got into loads of fights. Eventually, I got referred to a PRU (pupil referral unit) and stayed for 6 weeks and was sent back to my school. I was on some strict terms that I was to abide if I wanted keep my place in that school. But about a week later, a group of older kids tried to rob me for my phone. Once again, I got into a fight because I was not having it. I was then suspended as one of my conditions was not to use violence. My parents saw that this was becoming quite repetitive and got me transferred into a small independent school. I'm still at this school. There are small classes, everyone is chilled out and I have never got into a fight here. However, when I got into year 10, I was told that this school only do 5 GCSEs. I was so shocked, but on the other hand I knew that as long as I get strong As then I stood a chance for a top uni. But here's the most annoying part, they have put me in for foundation science. But they reckon because I rose up from a C in January to an A* in February mocks that I cheated and knew the mark scheme. I have tried so hard this year, everyone in my school is doing foundation. In maths I've had to teach myself every higher maths topic because only foundation topics are taught in class. So, here is my question: Should I just finish up with school after my GCSEs and get a job? I clearly cannot get into a good uni as I'm greatly in disadvantage as I'm only doing 5 GCSEs and foundation in one subject. (On phone sorry for typos:tongue:)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Firstly... It is illegal to get a job after GCSEs as the you have to complete sixth form/ college. Don't think that because you go to a school with lower standards that you have to be. You can still achieve and work hard. Imagine the thought of the teachers faces on results day when you push through with those As and A*. . Also I don't think it would matter as much because if you work hard now then sixth form/ college you would have more options. Furthermore a university can see the determination in you if you are the few that can aim high. So I recommend that you show who's boss by going above and beyond what you know rather what you think you know.
- from a fellow student
Wtf man that science thing sucks. Shame on the teachers for not supporting you.

Bring your parents in to talk to them about you sitting higher? Maybe you can get another test
Original post by GuerrillaTactics
Hello TSR, I have a huge question that I want to ask and need some advice. When I got into secondary school everything was looking good. I had got into a grammar school and had a good group of friends. However, when I got into year 9 things started to change. I was at first a quiet person, and often felt that I sometimes allowed people to walk over me. But when I got into year 9, I stopped taking rubbish from people and got into loads of fights. Eventually, I got referred to a PRU (pupil referral unit) and stayed for 6 weeks and was sent back to my school. I was on some strict terms that I was to abide if I wanted keep my place in that school. But about a week later, a group of older kids tried to rob me for my phone. Once again, I got into a fight because I was not having it. I was then suspended as one of my conditions was not to use violence. My parents saw that this was becoming quite repetitive and got me transferred into a small independent school. I'm still at this school. There are small classes, everyone is chilled out and I have never got into a fight here. However, when I got into year 10, I was told that this school only do 5 GCSEs. I was so shocked, but on the other hand I knew that as long as I get strong As then I stood a chance for a top uni. But here's the most annoying part, they have put me in for foundation science. But they reckon because I rose up from a C in January to an A* in February mocks that I cheated and knew the mark scheme. I have tried so hard this year, everyone in my school is doing foundation. In maths I've had to teach myself every higher maths topic because only foundation topics are taught in class. So, here is my question: Should I just finish up with school after my GCSEs and get a job? I clearly cannot get into a good uni as I'm greatly in disadvantage as I'm only doing 5 GCSEs and foundation in one subject. (On phone sorry for typos:tongue:)

if the teachers are refusing to put you in higher then get your parents to come in, if they dont still then you could if you can afford it enter privately to take the higher paper
How do you enter privately? Exams start in 2nd and 3rd week of May will it not be too late now?
Original post by GuerrillaTactics
How do you enter privately? Exams start in 2nd and 3rd week of May will it not be too late now?

You could ring different schools or colleges to ask but I think its too late now. However, maybe if you said to your current teachers that your willing to pay to be put into higher paper they might take you more seriously as its all up to them now. Maybe tell them to give you another mock to show that you never cheated in the first place

Quick Reply

Latest