The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
As far as I'm aware, residences are more like halls, and you live in a long corridor with kitchens dotted around. The flats are, as described, flats, and you usually get around 20-30 flats on one site, each with 5/6 students in. Flats are generally single sex, with equal numbers of guys and girls flats in each building. All the S/C people I know, and myself, live in flats, and it rocks :smile:

Make of it what you wish!
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
I think the residences are reserved initially for PG?
equal numbe rof boys to girls in each building my backside! In my block there are 10 boys and 30 girls!! Nice for them but....

Flats seem to be the standard and I'm pretty sure about the residence-postgrad thing too, although you do get postgrads in flats.
yossarianlives
I think the residences are reserved initially for PG?

I dunno, I've definatly met someone who lives in S/C but its set out like Pollock... I have no idea who they were or which accommodation they were in though! But then yeah, thinking about it I think I remember reading the PG thing too.
Reply 5
The whole 'self catered residence' thing is really confusing. I'm in one, and I'm a first year undergraduate, and I know others. hmm.

As said before, the set out is like Pollock (rooms along a corridor, shared bathrooms), except with a more functional kitchen (ovens, freezers!).

You also get bedding provided and kitcheny things like pots and pans, which you don't in flats.

And it's mixed sex along the corridor. Although more guys around me in practice.