The Student Room Group

New car that I'm too scared to drive!

I recently passed my test (February) and have just 2 weeks ago bought my first car.. I was so excited as it takes me 2 hours to get to work but 20 minutes in the car and just generally excited for the independence etc etc. Now Ive drove it literally a handful of times because I'm so scared! On the first day I got, it was all going fine until I stalled 3 times at the same set of lights - so understandably the other drivers were rather irate & beeping etc. Now I keep on stalling it because I get so conscious of the drivers behind me and I get so worked up that I just mess up! I've not drove it for over a week and the longer I leave it the worse I feel, and I feel more stupid because it feels like such a waste of money (the car, the insurance etc etc) and I have to walk past it every day to endure the ridiculous journey to work which is just absurd! I genuinely feel like getting rid of the car but I know I'll regret it and I absolutely love the car! Does anyone have any advice?! I know this is so pathetic and it feels stupid even ranting about this!

Scroll to see replies

2 hours to walk to work? Geez, is there nowhere closer you could live? You must have to get up so early.

If you must, move closer and sell the car. I take it that cycling is not an option here and there are no buses or trains? A pretty much brand new car should sell really well although you will of course be operating at a loss.

Or you could try small drives around your town during quiet times to get used to the car and to driving? It just takes time to learn skills.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
I recently got my first car aswell and was scared to go out and about but the more you use it the more confident you'll feel. So what if other drivers are beeping? As long as you're not a danger to anyone no big deal! Chances are you'll never even see those drivers again.

Think positive and good luck!!!!
Reply 3
Wow, don't sell your car just yet! I was very nervous about driving my car after I passed, you just have to start out with short journeys and build yourself up. Drive to your local supermarket, perhaps at a later time in the evening, and practice setting off and getting used to the biting point in the car park. Where I live has a lot of traffic and steep hills, so I wasn't too keen on jumping in at the deep end and stalling and rolling down a hill into someone :biggrin: Perhaps take a friend, parent, or brother or sister who will help you feel calm.

Some people will beep at you for the stupidest of things. A taxi beeped at me because the lights had just went amber and I hadn't set off. I've also been beeped at for waiting for a slow, old man to cross a zebra crossing, and not just ramming straight into him. Although, I have also been beeped at for stalling at a junction when someone let me out. It happens to everyone.
Reply 4
You need to grow up a bit tbh. What good is selling the car and whinging on the internet going to do? Surely the logical solution is to go out and practice.
Dont sell your car. Keep learning. Dont give up. You could probably take more lessons from a driving instructor on clutch control, driving confidence, etc.
Reply 6
Original post by FXX
You need to grow up a bit tbh. What good is selling the car and whinging on the internet going to do? Surely the logical solution is to go out and practice.

Hhhhahaha I can't even be bothered entertaining your stupid, unhelpful and rude response.. If you've not got anything helpful to say then why bother commenting! Lol
Reply 7
Original post by xpj
Hhhhahaha I can't even be bothered entertaining your stupid, unhelpful and rude response.. If you've not got anything helpful to say then why bother commenting! Lol

Well you just did, and ignored everyone else, so I must have hit home. Selling the car and giving up after spending thousands on learning/buying the car/insurance is just throwing your toys out of the pram. Have you been out in it at all today?
Reply 8
Just go out when the roads quiet and practice. If you're in Devon however, if you see a Black 02 plate Skoda Octavia steer clear as that's me and I'll be livid if you hit it
Original post by xpj
I recently passed my test (February) and have just 2 weeks ago bought my first car.. I was so excited as it takes me 2 hours to get to work but 20 minutes in the car and just generally excited for the independence etc etc. Now Ive drove it literally a handful of times because I'm so scared! On the first day I got, it was all going fine until I stalled 3 times at the same set of lights - so understandably the other drivers were rather irate & beeping etc. Now I keep on stalling it because I get so conscious of the drivers behind me and I get so worked up that I just mess up! I've not drove it for over a week and the longer I leave it the worse I feel, and I feel more stupid because it feels like such a waste of money (the car, the insurance etc etc) and I have to walk past it every day to endure the ridiculous journey to work which is just absurd! I genuinely feel like getting rid of the car but I know I'll regret it and I absolutely love the car! Does anyone have any advice?! I know this is so pathetic and it feels stupid even ranting about this!

I totally know what you mean, the first few times I went out in my new car in London, I was horrifically scared, but I gradually managed to overcome it.

I definitely think one thing is to try driving when the roads are quieter, for example, mid-evenings are a good time and just take it not far, maybe in the streets around where you live. Do some parking and so on and get more used to it.

Also you could try taking a friend along on some drives, it kind of eases your brain a little as you can chat and laugh about when you get things wrong, like the gear changes and stalling, which I did all the time when I was a newer driver! :smile:
Reply 10
Sometimes you've got to be cruel to be kind which I think is what the poster you responded to was doing. Go out when it's quiet to practice and build up your confidence. First time I went on the motorway I took my sister with me and she can't even drive!

You'll get there. Think of all the extra time you'll have!
Original post by xpj

Practising more often is a perfectly reasonable suggestion, don't know why you have to get offended over something so small.

There have been countless threads like yours posted on these sub forums over time, and more practice has always been a sensible (and proven) suggestion.
Original post by Y333EEE
Just go out when the roads quiet and practice. If you're in Devon however, if you see a Black 02 plate Skoda Octavia steer clear as that's me and I'll be livid if you hit it

02 Plate?? Pfft, that's probably worth a fraction of OP's car! :wink:
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I totally know what you mean, the first few times I went out in my new car in London, I was horrifically scared, but I gradually managed to overcome it.

You, scared? Hah! Had you down as some sort of road raged crazy loon in a Mini Cooper with a big 'VOTE LABOUR' sticker in the back window, whizzing around London shouting profanity at anyone with right leaning political views.
Don't sell the car. Stop whinging and go out in your car to practice.
Original post by xpj

It's true... I haven't even passed yet and drive around in my mothers car just fine. Surely the key to your problem is practice...
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
02 Plate?? Pfft, that's probably worth a fraction of OP's car! :wink:

Doesn't matter what it's worth, it's mine, I worked hard for it, I love it and I'll go ballistic if anyone damages it (just ask my neighbors little s##t of a kid!!)
Original post by xpj

It's normal....new car and all and you are a new driver.
It will take time for you to get used to the car, so consider driving around on the quiet streets for a while so you get used to the car and its pedals, etc
Reply 18
Original post by Fullofsurprises

I've been driving years, and I'm still terrified of driving in central London. The lorries are all out to kill you. Usually better to park in Hampstead or something and get the tube.
Original post by samba
I've been driving years, and I'm still terrified of driving in central London. The lorries are all out to kill you. Usually better to park in Hampstead or something and get the tube.

It is definitely pretty awful. :yep:

I learned to drive in Oxford, which was far more relaxing! :giggle:

What I do find though is that even within London, areas seem to vary in their driving behaviour. I live in E. London now and it seems worse here than it did where my Dad lives in W. London. A lot of people ignore red lights in particular, even quite blatantly after they've changed for a while. :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest