The Student Room Group

Emigration must be slowed.

I think emigration from Britain is a greater problem than people immigrating to Britain. The overall effect of 300,000 people leaving Britain and 500,000 coming into Britain means the population has changed by 800,000 people. If this happens for 10-15 years it will mean the population will have changed by 8-12 million people. This then can become a serious threat to the existence of the British nation state, it certainly changes political considerations people have.

When the politicians say the net immigration numbers they are using statistics to lie to the population about what is happening and has been happening. Then UKIP an anti-EU party only points out the problems with immigration. I think people have missed the issue of emigration. I think the Parliament needs to put in place measures to hinder people who are attempting to leave Britain and move to other nations. We have greater scope to do this in the EU, than we do to cut immigration numbers.

We need to cut emigration, to have any hope of cutting immigration. We need to limit the turnover of population.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The main problem I see with this is implementation. How would you decide who gets to emigrate?
People are leaving because they've got their head screwed on. Look at the amount of debt per head in the UK. After that look at the amount of debt levied per taxpayer. The amounts need to be recouped somehow and they're not being recouped from the multinationals. Who foots the bill? The working and middle classes do through taxation and other costs levied on them by those who are supposed to serve us. The government has been inept for decades and we've had skills shortages for years thanks to emigration.

The NHS is one of the most obvious examples but the industry I used to work in, the construction industry, has suffered the same fate. All of our own trained up end up going abroad to Australia and Saudi Arabia where they can keep more of their income and this means we then need immigration to fill the void. That's why the NHS has many migrants working in it and the construction industry is full of Eastern Europeans. The fact is, we need them because of inept governance. The UK is quickly going down the ****ter and the only people to blame are those in Westminster. However, rather than blame those really at fault people would rather blame one another in a divisive society set up to take the spotlight off those really to blame. The Tories and Labour governments are both as bad as one another.

That's why I'm leaving in the next few weeks and although other countries have their problems, at least I know I won't be taxed to hell and back to service a debt and interest I never created in the first instance. I refuse to pay for the mistakes of the previous generation and prats like Tony Blair and will go and enjoy my life elsewhere. Those politicians for me took the Great out of Great Britain and turned the UK into a country struggling to suit their own political agendas at the peril of the nation overall. It's sad but it's the reality and as long as it keeps happening and they keep getting away with it more people with their heads screwed on will make as much money as they can before leaving or just going to start up elsewhere.
Reply 3
what a joke, some people, including me hate living in this country, and frankly can't wait to move abroad.
Good job opportunities, more sophisticated culture, better weather. People have good reasons for leaving this squalid Isle.
Emmigration is something I fear because you fear rich people and businesses leaving the country because these people need to be heavily taxed to support the poor and our services.

Under a good Communist government it may be necessary to close the borders(going out) so that rich businesses and people don't leave as they get loads of money taxed off them-a policy I may implement is a money limit to those emigrating(like 20,000 reasonable) and all the rest would be taken by the Government and this would include all overseas money etc and this is fair because these rich peoples money has been took from society and the poor through excessive profits so is British money that they shouldn't be allowed to steal away from the country.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by william walker
This then can become a serious threat to the existence of the British nation state, it certainly changes political considerations people have.

So what? Why is that a problem?

Original post by william walker
When the politicians say the net immigration numbers they are using statistics to lie to the population about what is happening and has been happening.

No they're not. They're just not reporting the facts in the way you want them to.
Original post by SHallowvale
So what? Why is that a problem?

Well there are a lot of British people around
1. There's more turnover in the population, in considering natural birth/death rates anyway, and in the grand scheme of things, the numbers for emigration and population turnover derived in that way, are not so significant.

2. Shock horror, British people move abroad for jobs. Or to live where it's sunny etc etc...

3. The freedom of movement, rightfully enshrined in the EU constitution, is applicable to every single EU citizen. Yes, that means British people too.

4. If it follows that Britain should raise the drawbridge with regard to immigration, Britain could not have its nationals free to move within the EU. Thankfully, no party would be willing to implement such a stupid policy, since it would have a deleterious effect on the economy. There are benefits to people immigrating, and emigrating.

Original post by Joshale
what a joke, some people, including me hate living in this country, and frankly can't wait to move abroad.

I wholeheartedly agree. I want to live in the US within five years of graduating. So done with the direction the UK is going.
Original post by Europhile
People are leaving because they've got their head screwed on. Look at the amount of debt per head in the UK. After that look at the amount of debt levied per taxpayer. The amounts need to be recouped somehow and they're not being recouped from the multinationals. Who foots the bill? The working and middle classes do through taxation and other costs levied on them by those who are supposed to serve us. The government has been inept for decades and we've had skills shortages for years thanks to emigration.

The NHS is one of the most obvious examples but the industry I used to work in, the construction industry, has suffered the same fate. All of our own trained up end up going abroad to Australia and Saudi Arabia where they can keep more of their income and this means we then need immigration to fill the void. That's why the NHS has many migrants working in it and the construction industry is full of Eastern Europeans. The fact is, we need them because of inept governance. The UK is quickly going down the ****ter and the only people to blame are those in Westminster. However, rather than blame those really at fault people would rather blame one another in a divisive society set up to take the spotlight off those really to blame. The Tories and Labour governments are both as bad as one another.

That's why I'm leaving in the next few weeks and although other countries have their problems, at least I know I won't be taxed to hell and back to service a debt and interest I never created in the first instance. I refuse to pay for the mistakes of the previous generation and prats like Tony Blair and will go and enjoy my life elsewhere. Those politicians for me took the Great out of Great Britain and turned the UK into a country struggling to suit their own political agendas at the peril of the nation overall. It's sad but it's the reality and as long as it keeps happening and they keep getting away with it more people with their heads screwed on will make as much money as they can before leaving or just going to start up elsewhere.

Britian is still great- what on earth does it mean that the great is taken out of it?
Original post by jammy4041
1. There's more turnover in the population, in considering natural birth/death rates anyway, and in the grand scheme of things, the numbers for emigration and population turnover derived in that way, are not so significant.

2. Shock horror, British people move abroad for jobs. Or to live where it's sunny etc etc...

3. The freedom of movement, rightfully enshrined in the EU constitution, is applicable to every single EU citizen. Yes, that means British people too.

4. If it follows that Britain should raise the drawbridge with regard to immigration, Britain could not have its nationals free to move within the EU. Thankfully, no party would be willing to implement such a stupid policy, since it would have a deleterious effect on the economy. There are benefits to people immigrating, and emigrating.

I wholeheartedly agree. I want to live in the US within five years of graduating. So done with the direction the UK is going.

US is a bit worse in some aspects
Original post by Europhile

you forget that we have more expats that immigrants (in relation to emigration) which means a lot do come back- just when they do they aren't economically active
Original post by Iwouldliketoknow
US is a bit worse in some aspects

Eh. Haven't found it that bad in Pocatello. Honestly, I could live in Idaho or one of the Western states.
Eh. Haven't found it that bad in Pocatello. Honestly, I could live in Idaho or one of the Western states.

wait till after the next election and watch the climate before you make that move :smile:
Original post by Iwouldliketoknow
wait till after the next election and watch the climate before you make that move :smile:

If the Conservatives and UKIP form a coalition...

Spoiler

If the Conservatives and UKIP form a coalition...

Spoiler

fair enough but if republicans get into power in the US along with the GOP and Koch Brothers- that would be terrifying
Reply 16
This is stupid. You can't force people to not leave this country and why are you so worried the political views will change if the population changes by 8-12 million people.
Reply 17
I want to emigrate because this country is full of foriegners.
You have a point in principal but there's practically nothing you can really do.
Original post by ETRC
This is stupid. You can't force people to not leave this country and why are you so worried the political views will change if the population changes by 8-12 million people.

You can manipulate people by making it less cost effective and time effective for them to leave. I am not worried because the political views are changing in the direction I want them to change.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending