The Student Room Group

Are my grades good enough?

Hello, I know people ask these questions a lot so sorry in advance.
I'm taking my gcses the summer but I think I might have already ruined my chances of being able to go to oxford or Cambridge which I've always wanted to do. I've read on hear that you need at least 90% A*s and that they also compare your results to your school and I go to fairly good private school. These are the results I'm hoping to get:
English Literature: a*
English Language: a*
Maths: a*
Core science: a*
Additional science: a*
RE:a*
History:a*
Latin:a*
Art:b
Spanish:b
Original post by LivyP
Hello, I know people ask these questions a lot so sorry in advance.
I'm taking my gcses the summer but I think I might have already ruined my chances of being able to go to oxford or Cambridge which I've always wanted to do. I've read on hear that you need at least 90% A*s and that they also compare your results to your school and I go to fairly good private school. These are the results I'm hoping to get:
English Literature: a*
English Language: a*
Maths: a*
Core science: a*
Additional science: a*
RE:a*
History:a*
Latin:a*
Art:b
Spanish:b

The 90% figure is wrong, indeed the average successful applicant has a lower percentage than this.

The comparison to your school is only really a factor when trying to put results in context- e.g. if you had an applicant from a dreadful state school with 3A*'s this would be taken into consideration as they would have achieved incredibly well compared to the average from their school. Going to a private school does not harm you.

Really my advice is to focus on doing as well as possible in your GCSE's and worry after you get your results if necessary. You have more than enough time to swing things round and push your grades up- GCSE's are the most cramable part of the British education system I think.
Reply 2
Okay thank you so much for the reply jenkinsear! Hopefully I can get these grades and ill try much harder with a levels so my coursework won't bring my grades down. Thanks again :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending