The Student Room Group

Why do immigrants regard England as a state rather than as an inheritance?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gladders
You can speak for every single one of them, can you?

I've never heard them describe themselves as white
I can't speak for the Thai people, but if they want to feel that way, I disagree with them but can't force them. But I can argue with my fellow countrymen - of whatever colour they may be - to avoid having such a backwards-looking view of humanity.

its not backwards, its just how it, you can't erase human nature because it upsets you
Original post by Babada Boopy
I've never heard them describe themselves as white

Of course not, if their skin colour is not white. But your mistake is assuming that having white skin inherently imbues you with unique traits, behaviours and values that cannot be adopted or endorsed by non-whites.
I can't speak for the Thai people, but if they want to feel that way, I disagree with them but can't force them. But I can argue with my fellow countrymen - of whatever colour they may be - to avoid having such a backwards-looking view of humanity.

What's backwards about recognising distinct ethnicities and national origins? Would you say it is outmoded to have a family which shares your genes, perhaps everyone should just pool their children and let them be raised by the one-world State of which everyone is a Citizen?
Iranians consider themselves Persians and Saudis Arabic, I don't think they consider themselves white, not white in the sense of English at least

What I am trying to get is that white means different things to different people. The choice of words causes confusion, if you used natives the argument would have been stronger but by using white you open it up
its not backwards, its just how it, you can't erase human nature because it upsets you

Well, we'll see about that.
Original post by thesabbath
What's backwards about recognising distinct ethnicities and national origins? Would you say it is outmoded to have a family which shares your genes, perhaps everyone should just pool their children and let them be raised by the one-world State of which everyone is a Citizen?

Of course not. But deliberately excluding people based on those genes, by essentially saying you will never truly be one of us, is abhorrent. Claiming that descent through some lineage of tribal descent makes you better than others, is abhorrent.
Of course not. But deliberately excluding people based on those genes, by essentially saying you will never truly be one of us, is abhorrent. Claiming that descent through some lineage of tribal descent makes you better than others, is abhorrent.

You're the one ascribing value judgement.

It's just always going to be the case that a white person is not an Asian. That a dog is not a horse. A man is not a woman. Or whatever other characteristics you want to erase in the name of "progress".
You're the one ascribing value judgement.

It's just always going to be the case that a white person is not an Asian. That a dog is not a horse. A man is not a woman. Or whatever other characteristics you want to erase in the name of "progress".

Sorry, but when you put it like that, I can only assume you actually think the difference between a white person and an Asian is equivalent to the difference between a dog and a horse, which is disgusting.
Sorry, but when you put it like that, I can only assume you actually think the difference between a white person and an Asian is equivalent to the difference between a dog and a horse, which is disgusting.

Better call the thought police then. You are setting up straw man after straw man here because you cannot argue against the truth of my positions.
Better call the thought police then.

Nah, I'll just let your words speak for themselves.

You are setting up straw man after straw man here because you cannot argue against the truth of my positions.

Your points are not truth, they are opinions. Disagree if you wish, but claiming they are truth is hubris, and makes you look intolerant and daft.
Well, we'll see about that.

thats a rather totalitarian comment
Better call the thought police then. You are setting up straw man after straw man here because you cannot argue against the truth of my positions.

what is your position?
thats a rather totalitarian comment

How? I'm simply saying that in the course of time, we will see whose opinion is correct - whether people stop caring about ethnicity (which, I argue, has already begun), or, as you claim, it will still be important to the overwhelming majority.
How? I'm simply saying that in the course of time, we will see whose opinion is correct - whether people stop caring about ethnicity (which, I argue, has already begun), or, as you claim, it will still be important to the overwhelming majority.

Ethnicity is of ever-increasing importance in the era of identity politics.

The unbalanced part is that organising along ethnic lines is denied to whites and whites alone. But that will change as the people gradually understand what is being perpetrated in the name of "tolerance" and "diversity".

I'd argue people are caring about ethnicity and reverting to tribalism more than ever in the globalised world
I haven't seen it. Perhaps they are polarising - some, like me, not caring, and others, like yourselves, getting worried about it.
I haven't seen it. Perhaps they are polarising - some, like me, not caring, and others, like yourselves, getting worried about it.

Identity politics has been a huge topic in the west for the last decade, you must be able to see that
Identity politics has been a huge topic in the west for the last decade, you must be able to see that

I've seen people get whipped up about immigrants by the gutter press, sure, and I've seen Scottish nationalism rise in reaction to a perception that they get a sore deal out of the British Union. But I also note how hostility to immigration is highest where there are few immigrants, and people like myself who live among them are quite at home with it.
It's odd but I have been told that I am not true British, because we are all a nation of mongrels, apparently.

And yet, the left try to convince me time and again that a 1st, 2nd or 3rd generation immigrant is totally British.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending