The Student Room Group

Babysitting, job for a 15 year old? Whats it like?

Hi all,

I found a babysitting job advertised on gumtree nearby me, so I replied to the ad and got a response saying that I will be required to be interviewed via telephone so the owner will text me and then I should reply stating a convinient call time for me.

Any ideas on what babysitting is like please? It's my first time, I'm male and don't really have any experience. Its a 10 month baby girl by the way!

Pay advertised as £7 an hour but said to owner I may do the job for £5 to £6 per hour instead (working weekends and occasional evenings)

Any advice or guideance would be great thanks! Feel free to ask me any more questions you may have.

Thanks,
Ace C
£7 an hour for a 15 year old? That's pretty incredible, haha. The kids must be pretty younger if they're entrusting a 15 year old.

Surprised you asked for less though.

Unfortunately I can't help so much, I had work experience at a Nursery for a week, but that's about as far as my experience with children limits.

Good luck though!
Reply 2
Original post by AdviceForMe
£7 an hour for a 15 year old? That's pretty incredible, haha. The kids must be pretty younger if they're entrusting a 15 year old.

Surprised you asked for less though.

Unfortunately I can't help so much, I had work experience at a Nursery for a week, but that's about as far as my experience with children limits.

Good luck though!

Thanks for reply, still open to ALL answers :smile:

The kids? What do you mean? Its helping a mother with a 10 month baby girl, cleaning, changing, bathing, sterelizing bottles etc.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ace C
R

The kids? What do you mean? Its helping a mother with a 10 month baby girl, cleaning, changing, bathing, sterelizing bottles etc.

Ah! fair enough then. You didn't really specify, so I just presumed there were a group of kids for some reason, haha. XD
Reply 4
Anyone else please? Still open to all answers/ideas thanks :smile:
Original post by Ace C
Hi all,

I found a babysitting job advertised on gumtree nearby me, so I replied to the ad and got a response saying that I will be required to be interviewed via telephone so the owner will text me and then I should reply stating a convinient call time for me.

Any ideas on what babysitting is like please? It's my first time, I'm male and don't really have any experience. Its a 10 month baby girl by the way!

Pay advertised as £7 an hour but said to owner I may do the job for £5 to £6 per hour instead (working weekends and occasional evenings)

Any advice or guideance would be great thanks! Feel free to ask me any more questions you may have.

Thanks,
Ace C

I babysit quite a lot (I'm 17), the technique is to make sure the child likes you, if she does than the mum will! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Millymd
I babysit quite a lot (I'm 17), the technique is to make sure the child likes you, if she does than the mum will! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, thanks for your reply. How exactly can I do this (basic interaction play with toys, talk e.t.c )?
Original post by Ace C
Hi, thanks for your reply. How exactly can I do this (basic interaction play with toys, talk e.t.c )?

Just be nice to them and pay attention to their needs. Also, if they have a bedtime, I would let them stay up for an extra 15 minutes :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Millymd
Just be nice to them and pay attention to their needs. Also, if they have a bedtime, I would let them stay up for an extra 15 minutes :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thanks, an extra 15 minutes for a 10 month baby? Not sure about that! Any advice for the telephone interview please?

I am still open to all answers thanks. :smile:
Its a pretty easy job.

You just play with the child and make sure they are having fun !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ace C
Ok thanks, an extra 15 minutes for a 10 month baby? Not sure about that! Any advice for the telephone interview please?

I am still open to all answers thanks. :smile:

Sorry didn't realise they were 10 months. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't make any jimmy savile jokes. I made one once and I got sacked straight away.
Reply 12
Original post by BioStudentx
Don't make any jimmy savile jokes. I made one once and I got sacked straight away.

Really, Im not that immature! I'm very sensible and reliable! :smile: all my teachers have said this at school :smile:
Original post by Ace C

So is it babysitting or helping the mum?

I am 19 and have had a nannying job for the past year with no real prior experience other than babysitting some of my mum's friend's kids occasionally - just be enthusiastic and make sure you demonstrate some experience with or understanding of children (doesn't have to be kids of the same age necessarily - I look after a 13 month old baby and before her the youngest I'd worked with was 3, and before this year, 8!)

I'm surprised they would do a telephone interview though, would be more sensible to meet in person in my opinion to check if the baby likes you! Also do they know you are male? Just as if it hasn't been specified (your name should hopefully have made it clear!) they will probably assume you are female haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Ebbsy
So is it babysitting or helping the mum?

I am 19 and have had a nannying job for the past year with no real prior experience other than babysitting some of my mum's friend's kids occasionally - just be enthusiastic and make sure you demonstrate some experience with or understanding of children (doesn't have to be kids of the same age necessarily - I look after a 13 month old baby and before her the youngest I'd worked with was 3, and before this year, 8!)

I'm surprised they would do a telephone interview though, would be more sensible to meet in person in my opinion to check if the baby likes you! Also do they know you are male? Just as if it hasn't been specified (your name should hopefully have made it clear!) they will probably assume you are female haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello,
Thanks for your response. Yes I did clearly state I was a 15 year old male with limited experience, owner said this was fine, but wants to do telephone interviews to find out more about applicants, and what fits with her criteria. She said that as I am at school and cant cover many hours (mainly weekends only) a job share may be possible. She also said she admires my resbonsibility at my age and wanting to undertake a role like this!
Pro Lucky you! Getting a job at 15 is super hard, to be honest I haven't even tried. I've applied to teach a summer school for £50 a week or whatever. Good to see people my age applying for a job!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending