The Student Room Group

Should I let housemates pay for cleaning?

The tenancy on my house ends in June but I will be moving out a month before for a new job. I was going to come back before everyone moved out to help them clean the house but it is looking unlikely I'll be able to get the time off work,

One of my friends suggested that I clean the house before I move out and then if the landlord charges us for cleaning they split it between the three of them. I didn't think it was fair at first but they are very messy and I don't see why I should have to pay for a months worth of mess if I have moved out. Does it sound reasonable if I give the house a thorough clean before I go and leave it up to them to pay for any cleaning charges if we receive any?
Clean up all your mess and leave them too it! Its just a way of getting you to clean up for them!
Thats why I don't allow it to get messy. Soon as I see mess, I clean it up, stick it in a bag and throw it in their room :biggrin:
That includes dirty plates in the sink, just in a bin bag and outside.
Clean your stuff and just tell them before you move "yeah, everything should be clean on my side now, so it's up to you guys to keep it nice and tidy now!" in like a nice banter type of way, so they know the deal.

Or if you can text them/email them that this is the deal (so that you have some sort of proof that they have agreed this is not your mess to clean)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending