The Student Room Group

Labour predicted to win with an overall majority...

...how does everyone feel with Labour winning the general election?

Already a few threads have talked about how leading pollsters have put them into first and with the SNP coalition it is a sad outcome.

In conjunction with the SNP they are looking at 50% share of the vote and 489 seats, quite a victory.

Scroll to see replies

489/650 seats. That seems improbable. Mind linking me where you read it?
Reply 2
Original post by Sir Candour
489/650 seats. That seems improbable. Mind linking me where you read it?

Ask the Labour supporters, they will happily reveal all as they continue to do.
Reply 3
I'd be content with a Lib/Lab coalition and while I wouldn't want majority labour government, I wouldn't be overly fussed either. Used to hate Milliband but since the start of the election campaign he's grown on me

What would worry me is if Labour formed a coalition with the SNP and/or Greens..
That'd be awesome. Unlikely, but awesome.
Reply 5
When it comes to foreign policy they are all the same. Remember it wasn't long ago they pushed us into the war in Iraq. I guarantee if Greens or even UKIP were in power things would have been different.

You'll get small differences in policies with Labour and Conservative, but not when it comes to war.

All are very pro-NATO, follow America in all its wars.
I won't be living in the UK this time next month so couldn't care less who gets in.
Reply 7
Original post by Empirious
Labour/Tory, they're all more or less the same now. All the mainstream parties have merged into the same position on the political spectrum - that being the centre.

I completely agree, plus with our military actions being largely dictated by NATO and our laws being passed and regulated mostly in Brussels, what difference does it make?
Reply 8
Original post by Empirious
Labour/Tory, they're all more or less the same now. All the mainstream parties have merged into the same position on the political spectrum - that being the centre.

I don't know what you think the centre is, but that's not where they're at.

Spoiler

Take the test
Reply 9
Labour and SNP- Match made in hell.
I agree that the SNP and Labour is a very likely outcome but 489 seats is ridiculous. Even 389 seats is way above any predictions so far. It's looking to be more around the 320 area. (with 325 being a majority of course). Also, 50% of the vote going to Labour and the SNP is far over any recent polls have suggested. Your figures are wildly inaccurate
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Cerdic

Spoiler

Take the test

****ing hell, that graph is a load of ****e
Reply 12
Original post by Cerdic

Spoiler

Take the test

That compass is laughably bad. The Greens are far more authoritarian, the Conservatives value minimal state intervention in the economy, Ukip are only slightly more authoritarian. Labour is radical centre. Lib dem authoritarian? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Reply 13
How anyone could vote for Britain to be led by a numpty like Milliband is beyond me. All Labour does is promise money to win votes and the great unwashed love it because instead of thinking of the bigger picture and future of the country, they think in selfish small-minded terms like where they can save a few quid. But Labour can't manage money and talk misleading rubbish. Any Labour victory combination would be a disaster for GB. Milliband seems to think it's a game of words. The Tories have done pretty well, to be fair, considering the financial black hole Labour's governance left them in.
Polls, like research studies, are often misused political tools for the herdlike, and not to be trusted implicitly in my opinion. Better to use one's brains and not be swayed by desperate propaganda. Cameron is not perfect because he is a politician but he has leadership qualities and enough class to hold his own internationally. Milliband would be an embarrassment. Quite frankly listening to his stupid voice talking his crap everyday, would give me ear ache.
I know it's going to happen and the thought of it makes my insides crumble! :dong: I believe that another Labour government would be truly devastating for our country and it makes me want to cry because I really love Britain. :frown: I think I maybe need to get less emotionally invested in this politics thing:dong:
May God help us all.
Terribly awful. Labour winning overall majority is an utter nightmare!
It's pretty sad but that's just the state of our country :frown:
Reply 18
Original post by anonlad
I'd be content with a Lib/Lab coalition and while I wouldn't want majority labour government, I wouldn't be overly fussed either. Used to hate Milliband but since the start of the election campaign he's grown on me

What would worry me is if Labour formed a coalition with the SNP and/or Greens..

What's the worry with the SNP? (just devolution?) - I must admit I haven't really looked at their policies :smile:
Reply 19
I really don't understand why this thread is so anti-Labour? The "black hole" was a worldwide economic problem, which Labour had no chance of resolving before the last election. The Conservatives cannot continue to cut spending as they are, and they have failed to meet their own targets in cutting the deficit. Labour have a clearly costed manifesto, and are promising less money than the Conservatives and Lib Dems, but know where this money is actually coming from. I think the best outcome would either be a Labour majority, or a Lab/Lib coalition

Quick Reply

Latest