The Student Room Group

Do you Feel our Education System is Biased?

I understand the majority of people on here are probably already more politically-inclined to the left so this won't really pose a significant problem.

But is it just me or are our schools more left-leaning? It may only be my school (yes, I attend a government-funded comprehensive school) but much of the agenda when covering somewhat controversial subjects such as the EU, global warming/climate change, various topics in Citizenship, etc. seem biased and just one-sided in general; i.e. pro-EU and very adamant that climate change is largely/solely by human activity.

Then again, I suppose it could be just the teachers, and it's a relatively well-known fact that a lot of teachers are leftists, but should they're political opinions and stances really be passed on to the students?

Was it/is it like this at your school? Do you think teachers should express their views in lessons?

All replies appreciated.
I had an english teacher who kept rubbing it in everyone's faces how much she disliked Michael Gove and it really irritated me when people in my class started joining in. She was actually a really nice teacher, but that was one of the few things that annoyed me about her. I'm not sure if teachers shouldn't express their views in lessons to be honest. You can't always avoid politics, but at the same time, it's not fair that they try and persuade students to agree with their political views and go on about it all the time.
The education system within the UK is heavily biased towards the left.

I've worked in it. If you think the crap some teachers come out with in lessons is bad you should listen to some of the stuff said in staff rooms. That's where the crazy left wing Green hippies really let loose.
Reply 3
Definitely! I went to a Comprehensive school from years 7-11 and found that the teachers really tried to influence children with their liberal views. One of my history teachers even stated "Maggie Thatcher, the milk snatcher!". Feel sorry for the kids that get sucked into these views, people take teachers views way too much into consideration. I hated it as they should let kids think for themselves. I am at a Grammar school now and feel like they are definitely not so domineering with their views. They are basically like "I feel x,y and z" and you can take this into consideration if you want. I do not want to go down the road of whether comprehensives are good or not, as I really do not agree with them. It's not just the teachers, its the pupils, its the whole system, itself. I really believe the education system needs to be reformed big time.
That's because climate change is mainly caused by us. It's not a leftist opinion it's a fact backed up by science
Could it possibly be because leftists are more likely to care about others enough to enter a profession which focuses more on helping others than maximising income? For the right it's a tragedy of selfish rational actors.
Reply 6
They teach climate change is caused by us because that is the common scientific consensus. Not too sure about the other stuff, don't really remember doing much on any of that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending